Front suspension?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Cosmic_Jumper

Front suspension?

Post by Cosmic_Jumper »

Is there any upgrade for the front suspension? Given that tyere is only 3+ inches of front suspension travel, the Forza front end launches when hitting frost heave-type bumps (almost like speed bumps) on some of these pathetic Philly highways. Sometimes slowing down is not an option while at highway speeds with a cage on your ass.

Has anyone modded their front suspension? We've already gone to YSS shocks at the rear. Please help.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Re: Front suspension?

Post by davenowherejones »

I had my dealer change the oil, heavier??? And they installed a plastic spacer in the forks. It seems to have settled down the front end.
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Post by Oyabun »

Heavier fork fluid and more spring preload are good on smooth asphalt, but will make hitting surface irregularities even worst.
The only real improvement or the front are cartridge emulators. I've done it myself on 4 PCXes and a gew others had done upgrade also. Mario has worked out his Forza based on our experience last year.
Here's the link to the original topic:
http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4877
Btw. Using the search function gets you pretty good results.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

davenowherejones wrote:I had my dealer change the oil, heavier??? And they installed a plastic spacer in the forks. It seems to have settled down the front end.
A spacer will increase the spring preload making the suspension stiffer, it will also reduce the suspension travel.

Given the length of the fork legs and the geometry of the scooter, it would not be possible to increase the suspension travel without fitting longer forks, which would jack the front of the scooter up.
Doing so would probably adversely affect the handling.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
alex01
Year: 2015
Color: Grey

Post by alex01 »

You could try Ohlins or YSS fork upgrade kits to solve the soft front fork.
Currently using YSS Fork upgrade kits. Makes a world of a difference in handling, a little stiffer but makes taking high speed corners with more confidence.
Attachments
IMG-20170709-WA0005.jpg
IMG-20170709-WA0005.jpg (40.1 KiB) Viewed 1229 times
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

After the really, really bad front end on my Forza I suspect that I never had any oil in the forks straight from the factory. I never did ask the dealer mechanic how much oil they removed to put in the spacer and thicker oil.

A one inch bump at walking pace would bottom out my front end completely. It was scary.

There are still low number Forza's still for sale with no use at dealers.

Mine was #98 made. Has anyone else had forks with no oil?
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Running the proper air pressure in the front tire will let the tire absorb some of the rough surface.
3" of shock travel is @ the norm for a scooter.
The only scooter I've ever heard of with "great" suspension is the 2010 Honda SH 150i. A rarity!
Fish