Introduction

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Sandymay
Scooter Sandy
Scooter Sandy
Year: 2015
Color: Bronze

Introduction

Post by Sandymay »

Hi everyone, my name is Sandy and I've always wanted a motorcycle. Years ago I had a little Moped that I really loved riding. Life happened, and the Moped was sold for more practical things.

I have been researching what I'd like to ride, and discovered the Honda PCX 150. Love at first sight! (And I've only seen pics online). I'm going to get my first in person look on Saturday.

I live in Ontario Canada. I'll most likely be purchasing a 2017 model in early Spring, as no sense buying one now and storing over the winter.

I'm really enjoying this forum, and getting lots of great ideas.

One of my biggest concerns is how to protect it. I plan on riding it all the time except in the winter.

Any tips for a newbie welcome.

Thanks!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Introduction

Post by gn2 »

Hi and welcome :D

What are you wanting to protect it from...?
(zombie apocalypse, plague of locusts, Donald Trump...?)
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Sandymay
Scooter Sandy
Scooter Sandy

Post by Sandymay »

All of the above lol....especially roving bands of zombies.

Id like to make it as hard as possible for someone to steal. I know it's impossible to completely protect it, but I'd like to know what other members do when they leave their baby alone in a parking lot, etc.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

What city are you in?

Generally, I would just lock it and walk away with the steering locked. Being that it can't be pushed to start, it won't garner a lot of attention in Canada where scooters are not too common.

I used to live in southern Ontario (Hamilton, Toronto, Ajax) and didn't hear of motorcycle thefts too often. I suspect it is even less with the scooters of today.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
Sandymay
Scooter Sandy
Scooter Sandy

Post by Sandymay »

Hi Kramnala58,

I'm in Orillia, which is a fairly small city in central Ontario.
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

Welcome. The PCX is indeed a remarkable machine. As for theft, as another has mentioned, it really depends on your locale. There are disc locks you can get that go right through the brake disc (and come with their own unique set of problems), some people go for a heavy chain with a sturdy lock, and some, like me and the above poster, who simply use the time honored steering lock. If you can do it, the most secure option is to keep it inside your house or garage.

My dad used to say "Locks are there to stop an honest thief." Nothing you do will stop a thief who is determined to have your scooter.

But still, it comes down to locale. I've had motorcycles and scooters for 8 1/2 years, simply parked in front of my house sometimes with the steering lock on, and no one has messed with them. tbh, I usually don't even lock the steering. If I lived in a big city, I probably couldn't do that.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Here is a word of advice if you get a disc lock. Make sure you get something that will remind you to take it off before you ride. Otherwise, you may find that you just destroyed your own bike when you jumped on it and gave it gas without remembering to remove the lock.
We have had our bikes for a few years now and no one has bothered them, so it really does come down to where you live.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Sandymay
Scooter Sandy
Scooter Sandy

Post by Sandymay »

Thanks honkerman and Mel46.

I did see someone that had a colourful rope from their disc lock to the handle bars. Does anyone know where I would find one of those?

Thanks,
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

I recall Orillia quite well from my younger years and time spent in the Bracebridge area on the weekends.

I am quite confident a PCX would be quite safe there if locked normally (steering locked) with the alarm on .... they do have that on the North American models, don't they?
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Great choice Sandy! What color shall your '17 be? Super Exciting Time!

I'm thinking about several things right now.
Have you considered taking a motorcycle Safety Course? Is it mandatory there? Could you take one in the winter months?
Buying in the spring...hmm, wonder if you could catch a Sale during your colder months. Possible?
Safety while parked. Top of the Line Scooter Insurance. Pay the big(ger) bucks and get what ya pay for if.....(shhh), stolen :o
Got gear? Proper riding attire? Sales are all over the www during colder months. Hunt and peck ... Ye shall find. Or...ask away :P we all have our favs.

If you get a disc lock, Mel was talking about one of these to remind you of its placement:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... isNodeId=1
image.png
image.png (26.85 KiB) Viewed 1588 times
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Sandymay
Scooter Sandy
Scooter Sandy

Post by Sandymay »

Hi kramnala58, Not sure if they have alarms already installed in Canada, but will know more after I get to see my first "in person" one tomorrow.
Hi Whitenoise, to answer your questions...
Have you considered taking a motorcycle Safety Course? Is it mandatory there? Could you take one in the winter months?
Yes, I'm going to take the course. We have about 3-4 feet of snow here in the winter and the course is offered outside, so not possible to take in the winter.
They supply the bikes to learn on, so I will be learning on a geared bike (I'm assuming)
Buying in the spring...hmm, wonder if you could catch a Sale during your colder months. Possible?
Looked into this already, and only the 2015/2016 are on sale, and they do not have any in my area (or close to my area). The dealer in Barrie told me the older ones were out west (BC)
Safety while parked. Top of the Line Scooter Insurance. Pay the big(ger) bucks and get what ya pay for if.....(shhh), stolen :o
Yes, I plan on getting good insurance for it. :)
Got gear? Proper riding attire? Sales are all over the www during colder months. Hunt and peck ... Ye shall find. Or...ask away :P we all have our favs.
No gear yet...the motorcycle course needs me to have heavy jeans/jean jacket, gloves, boots and a helmet....all things I will source over the winter....

It's so great to have something FUN to look forward to.

Thanks everyone so much for their posts!!!
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Sandymay wrote: No gear yet...the motorcycle course needs me to have heavy jeans/jean jacket, gloves, boots and a helmet....all things I will source over the winter.
Don't forget the badges, they look great on a white scooter.
Sandymay
Scooter Sandy
Scooter Sandy

Post by Sandymay »

Hi Homie....are there badges that look good on a dark blue PCX?
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Sandymay wrote:Hi Homie....are there badges that look good on a dark blue PCX?
they come in red and black and you become a special 'Prestige' forum member 8) http://www.ebay.com/itm/PCX-PRESTIGE-X2 ... QR&vxp=mtr

This one should already be on your new 2017 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-HONDA-S ... Gu&vxp=mtr
Sandymay
Scooter Sandy
Scooter Sandy

Post by Sandymay »

The red would look sweet on my (soon to be) 2017. Thanks!
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Smart Sandy, it sounds like you have a plan and the bases(ics) will be covered.
Take a long winters nap (that'll make spring come a lot faster!) :D
Sweet Dreams!
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Sandymay wrote:The red would look sweet on my (soon to be) 2017. Thanks!
and here is your patch :lol: weeeeeeeee I thought I would never get a chance to load that Canadian patch
Attachments
Canadian-Biker.jpg
Canadian-Biker.jpg (56.58 KiB) Viewed 1569 times
Sandymay
Scooter Sandy
Scooter Sandy

Post by Sandymay »

Awesome....thanks Homie!
ScottDR
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Black

Post by ScottDR »

Welcome fellow Ontario member! I think you will thoroughly enjoy the PCX, I sure do. Wednesday evening my wife rode on the back of mine to Guelph for dinner. Such a splendid way to see the fall colours!

Anyway, great choice. :)

Cheers!
ImageImageImage
2013 Black PCX 150
Mods/accessories:
Honda tall windshield, Honda top box, NCY variator and face with 13gram rollers, LED headlamps & taillight with, Backoff indicator
Kawell rectangular lights-fork, mounted
Cheeky Seats seat cover (de-humped), YSS PDC and front spring upgrade 15W fork fluid, YSS rear spring/damper upgrade-preload adjustable only, lots of reflective tape and other accessories

Previously owned:
1969 Honda K50 mini trail (first bike, still runs great and in the family)
1975 Honda CB125
1978 Yamaha DT400 (bored 2 stroke insanity)
1986 Kawasaki Ninja 250r
Rickjds
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2020
Color: Candy Luster Re

Post by Rickjds »

Welcome! Hope your impression in person is favorable. Great source of information right here to read up on while you wait for delivery.