How-To: Completely Dismantle A PCX

Maintenance, guides, and walkthroughs for your PCX. Please do not post questions about repairing or fixing your bike here.

Moderator: Modsquad

j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red

Re: How-To: Completely Dismantle A PCX

Post by j.d.b. »

Magnificient post, THANK YOU VERY MUCH! I'm going to write about WHY I say this in an upcoming thread (stay tuned).
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Hah, I saw the other thread. All that tupperware is a lot of work! :)
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Dave, I have to say that between this tutorial and your personal help I have learned so much that I now have the confidence to take the bike apart....except for engine work. We are saving up to buy and install an NCY variator and drive face. We changed her belt about 3,000 miles ago, when you pulled my belt from my new pcx and installed it on hers. I already have the 13 gm rollers on my bike and hers are in the basement. If I have any problems, guess who I will be calling?! :-)
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

Yup, thanks Dave, esp since every major operation I've done starts with "take body cover off" in the shop manual....I've seen better manuals.....
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

Mel46 wrote:Dave, I have to say that between this tutorial and your personal help I have learned so much that I now have the confidence to take the bike apart....except for engine work.
Mel, that's awesome to hear! Engine work is next. ;)

Did you get the variator drive plate that broke replaced? I remember you had a bit of trouble with it a couple of months ago.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Seth
Year: 2015

Post by Seth »

Thanks for this Dave.
The Left Inner Outer Cover panel (around glove box) on the 2014+ is just as infuriating. Knowing it was a challenge for someone as skilled as you makes me feel a little less inept.

Also, some of the screws are so tight from the factory that the head wants to strip out before the screw will give. This job hasn't been great for my blood pressure. :lol: It's almost enough to make a guy jealous of a ruckus rider. (OK, not really.)
2015 Honda PCX 150 White
amruth92
Year: 2010

Post by amruth92 »

Absolutely wonderful guide, thank you so much for this!

Just a tip: if anyone's taking the screws out of their bodywork, and putting them back into the same pieces of bodywork, and finding that their screws aren't tightening, insert a length of zip-tie into the hole you're trying to tighten, and then screw in the... err... screw.
Seth

Post by Seth »

Another tip: The screws may look like Philips and for the most part a Philips will work, but they're actually JIS. The geometry is just different enough that you can strip the head on tight fasteners. A set of JIS screwdrivers is worth adding to your toolbox.
2015 Honda PCX 150 White
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Just to let you know, this instruction helped me when I completely dismantled my bike and my wife's so that I could replace the broken panels. I think I am getting pretty good at this now, though I keep losing screws. I have no idea where they went, but I ended up short a couple of screws. Since I didn't have any to spare, I went to Home Depot and bought some self tapping screws that were similar....not exact replacements, but good enough for floor boards and some other non-critical places. I need three or four spares for occasions like this. Someday I will find the lost ones hiding in a mouse hole or taken captive by a dust ball. Since i work on the bikes in my basement, who knows what lurks in those corners??!
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

I usually have spares left over.
purplehaze031
Color: Black

Post by purplehaze031 »

great work dude! I haven't needed to do that yet! do you know how to take the front fender/mudguard off? someone reversed into me and snapped it!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

There's a mudguard on the front fender? The front fender itself is easy enough. If you have a service manual it is easy. If you don't have a service manual, you need to get one. They are great.

By the way Dave, no I have not replaced the problem drive plate, but I do hope to use the one on my wife's bike once I put the NCY variator on her bike...once I buy the variator. I already have the drive face and 13 gm weights, so the variator itself is next. Unfortunately, it is the beginning of a new year, so there are other things that require our attention first right now.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:There's a mudguard on the front fender? The front fender itself is easy enough. If you have a service manual it is easy. If you don't have a service manual, you need to get one. They are great.

By the way Dave, no I have not replaced the problem drive plate, but I do hope to use the one on my wife's bike once I put the NCY variator on her bike...once I buy the variator. I already have the drive face and 13 gm weights, so the variator itself is next. Unfortunately, it is the beginning of a new year, so there are other things that require our attention first right now.

Tomato/tomatoe. Potato/potatoe. Yoghurt/yogurt. A front fender is a front mudguard.
Robbie
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Grey

Post by Robbie »

maddiedog wrote:If you've got small hands, you can actually remove the engine at this point for installing big bore kits or whatever else. This is the point where you can do a valve adjustment easily as well
The ECU looked a right pain to unplug, so i left it alone. Just as an alternative, I removed the rotor and stator from the engine rather than unplugging the ECU. Don't need to drain the coolant as there is enough slack in the hoses to get the radiator out of the way. Do need a puller for the rotor and an impact gun helps, but fortunately I had these.

Its an alternative to stripping the front plastics off.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

That's why you're one of the PCX whisperer's, I wish you would buy the current generation PCX150 and take it apart in pictures. No one will do it as good as yourself. Handing these new scooters over to the dealership gorillas at 600 miles and getting them back less than perfect with missing fasteners and broken tabs is ridiculous.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I think every generation of PCX has that same problem at some dealers. We took ours to one shop to have the service done and when I got it back I had to take it apart again and put it together like it should have been. They had even cracked a panel, which I had them purchase and replace. Then I went home and put it on again the way it should have been put on. I never went to them again.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

pxc-in-japan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pxc-in-japan »

iceman wrote:Thanks for this how-to - much appreciated. When I get to the point of any self-service of my 2015 model, things will be different, but it's great having a comprehensive hot-to like this all the same.
Now that I have the full manual (200 fekking dollars), I am going to take off the panels necessary to get to the CBS master cylinder in order to replace the fluid as the bike has been on the road for 18 months now.
Even reading the manual, it seems to be an extremely long process to take off what I need to take off in order to finally be able to take off the inner cover (the part that your knees face / the part below the handle bars).
I shall video / take photos of the bike and the manual and put it on the forum once done.
http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/pcx150/2015/staninjapan/408151]Image
pxc-in-japan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pxc-in-japan »

Seth wrote:Another tip: The screws may look like Philips and for the most part a Philips will work, but they're actually JIS. The geometry is just different enough that you can strip the head on tight fasteners. A set of JIS screwdrivers is worth adding to your toolbox.
A fact I should have been aware of before trying to open the brake fluid reservoir on my 2008 Suzuki Address 125.
A Philips does indeed strip the head, and a pricey impact screw driver does nothing to help.
Shall be using a JIS on the PCX, though.
http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/pcx150/2015/staninjapan/408151]Image
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by DAB »

pxc-in-japan wrote:
Seth wrote:Another tip: The screws may look like Philips and for the most part a Philips will work, but they're actually JIS. The geometry is just different enough that you can strip the head on tight fasteners. A set of JIS screwdrivers is worth adding to your toolbox.
A fact I should have been aware of before trying to open the brake fluid reservoir on my 2008 Suzuki Address 125.
A Philips does indeed strip the head, and a pricey impact screw driver does nothing to help.
Shall be using a JIS on the PCX, though.
If you don't have a JIS screwdriver you can file down the tip of a Philips screw driver. Not perfect but will sit better in the screw.
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hmm, anyone else? Phillips screwdriver vs JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard).
:? So what's the difference? Let's Watch and Listen

Love learning new Stuff! I think I got me some of these drivers.
Dimples!! 8) Maybe Not on all JIS hardware but Look anyways for the dimple....then SMILE :D
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You