New owner 2017 PCX150 White

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Rickjds
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2020
Color: Candy Luster Re

New owner 2017 PCX150 White

Post by Rickjds »

Just picked up the PCX today. Wow, it's been a while since I rode a moped or motorcycle. It accelerates fast and decelerates faster than any automatic two wheeled bike. I was actually blown away by this, and never fully opened the throttle.

The paint is a nice glossy white which should make it easy to clean and polish or wax. I'm 5'11", 155 lbs and found the seat to be a little uncomfortable. Maybe due to sitting up straight as I have bad posture (slumping) when sitting. Brakes were good too.

Honda did a safety check (required in my State) and asked them to show me how to check the oil level even though I knew how to do it. Good thing I did as the oil was low and only had two miles on the odometer. They also found air pressure in the front and rear to be 3lbs low in both tires. I'm losing faith in the dealer due to this, but unfortunately they are the only dealer on the island.

After the first maintenance, I'm doing the non valve adjusting maintenance by myself. I plan to do the second maintenance at 1,000 miles or less and clean the oil screen as they don't do this on the first maintenance.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: New owner 2017 PCX150 White

Post by homie »

Lucky!... you have a '17' CONGRATULATION! It's a fun little bike with a good record. "non valve adjustment" will be what it is too LOL but if you are like me you can't wait to take it apart anyway. The oil screen nut is soft and you will want a good grip on in it. If you polk around in here you learn your socket 'as is' will give you trouble and a wrench won't get it. But if you grind the business end of a socket to a rough flat lip you can get it off. Many bolts like the 4 handle bar head bolts and bar ends are extremely tight and require impact tools and creative preparation before attempting or rounding and stripping may occur.
Rickjds
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Rickjds »

homie wrote:Lucky!... you have a '17' CONGRATULATION! It's a fun little bike with a good record. "non valve adjustment" will be what it is too LOL but if you are like me you can't wait to take it apart anyway. The oil screen nut is soft and you will want a good grip on in it. If you polk around in here you learn your socket 'as is' will give you trouble and a wrench won't get it. But if you grind the business end of a socket to a rough flat lip you can get it off. Many bolts like the 4 handle bar head bolts and bar ends are extremely tight and require impact tools and creative preparation before attempting or rounding and stripping may occur.
Thanks for the tip homie! Been lurking here for a while and I'm really liking both the bike and this forum.
Attachments
My ride!
My ride!
image.jpeg (346.89 KiB) Viewed 2046 times
GlassMan
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by GlassMan »

Welcome to the Party......your gonna love it !!!!
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

Welcome to the forum, and get that throttle open.....

Sent from my iPad
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Welcome to our forums Rick and congratulations on buying yourself a new PCX (in the best and fastest color) :D

Did your dealer supply you with an owners manual? I ask because some folks didn't get one at time of delivery. Just checking with you ;) Please make the time to read it.
Tip: Tag pages, highlight useful info. i.e. oil change, tire pressure, fluids etc. for quick reference
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Rickjds
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Rickjds »

Thanks WN, already read it three times! :D
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Here is a little help with resizing images so we can all see them... love those PCX pictures! Even likimg the Forza ones these days. Both have good style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXJC-6xQvyo
riding@100mpg
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: red

Post by riding@100mpg »

Enjoy your new ride. I have a 2015 I bought last winter thinking I would just use around the neighborhood. Handled a lot better than I thought and now just turned over 2000 miles. With a garage full of bikes this one seems to be the go to. I have the white also and am loving it. Congrats and glad you are on the forum
Rickjds
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Rickjds »

homie wrote:Here is a little help with resizing images so we can all see them... love those PCX pictures! Even likimg the Forza ones these days. Both have good style.

Sorry, still playing with a resize photo app.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (119.3 KiB) Viewed 1923 times
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

You got it buddy!
Hey before you ask the parking brake is most likely out of adjustment as the dealers haven't set one up right yet. Nothing wrong with it, you just need to turn that nut on the rear brake arm down by the axle a couple times clockwise. It has detents that cradle it, that's the one. Just make sure your rear wheel spins as it did before you adjusted (and check that spin first for reference). Then never use it again because it has no indicator light and the PCX can easily drive with it full on... so pretty much a worthless feature. Stay off the incident list and ... LETS RIDE!!!!!

PS brakes on the PCX are incredibly effective if you follow protocol, use them both at the same time evenly. People claim they could be better but they must want to go over the bars, I don't think we need to pay more for ABS... maybe we do.
Scooter Stu.
Year: 2016

Post by Scooter Stu. »

Its a great looking Bike....just like mine! I do love them in white - I hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine. I keep finding excuses to just "pop" here and there - I'm sure the wife thinks I'm having an affair, I am...with my PCX - my wifes great and I love her to bits but when I'm on the PCX I just cant wipe the smile from my face. LOL :lol:
Keeping it real - like Ian Beale!
Kriden
Year: 2015

Post by Kriden »

Rickjds wrote:
homie wrote:Here is a little help with resizing images so we can all see them... love those PCX pictures! Even likimg the Forza ones these days. Both have good style.

Sorry, still playing with a resize photo app.

Congrats and welcome!
2015 PCX 150, YSS Shocks (XL), NCY Roller Weights (20x15- 13 gram), NCY Vari (Item# NCY-1029) and NCY Face (#1200-1193), TyreBeads- motorcycle balancing beads
Rickjds
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Rickjds »

Thanks again everyone. Just installed the Shad SH39 top case and it fits my HJC IS MAX 2 helmet with room to spare. Next up, LED fork mounted DRL's :P Sorry for the blurry photos, iPhone 6 Plus doesn't take nice pictures like before...
Attachments
IMG_3055.JPG
IMG_3055.JPG (93.22 KiB) Viewed 1824 times
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Rickjds wrote:Thanks again everyone. Just installed the Shad SH39 top case and it fits my HJC IS MAX 2 helmet with room to spare. Next up, LED fork mounted DRL's :P Sorry for the blurry photos, iPhone 6 Plus doesn't take nice pictures like before...
If that is as good as you iPhone 6+ does for pictures, you should take in. I have one and the pics are perfectly clear. Tap on the screen where in the image you want to focus and it should focus nicely.

You might also want to check on a recall for the camera. Shortly after I got mine there was a recall issued. I logged on to a web site where I could enter my serial number, and sure enough, mine was one of the recalled ones. Unfortunately, I bought it in Thailand and they aren't servicing them here, although I haven't had problems with mine so I am not too concerned.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
Rickjds
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Rickjds »

kramnala58 wrote:
Rickjds wrote:Thanks again everyone. Just installed the Shad SH39 top case and it fits my HJC IS MAX 2 helmet with room to spare. Next up, LED fork mounted DRL's :P Sorry for the blurry photos, iPhone 6 Plus doesn't take nice pictures like before...
If that is as good as you iPhone 6+ does for pictures, you should take in. I have one and the pics are perfectly clear. Tap on the screen where in the image you want to focus and it should focus nicely.

You might also want to check on a recall for the camera. Shortly after I got mine there was a recall issued. I logged on to a web site where I could enter my serial number, and sure enough, mine was one of the recalled ones. Unfortunately, I bought it in Thailand and they aren't servicing them here, although I haven't had problems with mine so I am not too concerned.
ekimsepol

Post by ekimsepol »

Since you just bought a 2017. I'm also looking at one. The last scoot I had two years ago was a 2004 Silverwing with ABS. I put 8,000 miles on it before I sold it. I loved it except that it was a beast to maneuver. It also had amazing brakes.

I ride with a scooter club here in Santa Cruz where most everyone rides Vespas. I've had Fiats before and always here about the Vespa stuff breaking or being hard to repair. My Silverwing was great as far as nothing going wrong with it.

I'm currently debating between the new PCX150 and a used Vespa 300. I know the Vespa 150's shouldn't be much on the freeway. Do you ride yours on the interstate or just around town? I live in the mountains and may want to take the PCX on the freeway. Can it keep up with 65MPH traffic? I'm 5'11" and 173 pounds and more than likely won't be riding 2 up on it.

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks,
Mike
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

ekimsepol wrote:Since you just bought a 2017. I'm also looking at one. The last scoot I had two years ago was a 2004 Silverwing with ABS. I put 8,000 miles on it before I sold it. I loved it except that it was a beast to maneuver. It also had amazing brakes.

I ride with a scooter club here in Santa Cruz where most everyone rides Vespas. I've had Fiats before and always here about the Vespa stuff breaking or being hard to repair. My Silverwing was great as far as nothing going wrong with it.

I'm currently debating between the new PCX150 and a used Vespa 300. I know the Vespa 150's shouldn't be much on the freeway. Do you ride yours on the interstate or just around town? I live in the mountains and may want to take the PCX on the freeway. Can it keep up with 65MPH traffic? I'm 5'11" and 173 pounds and more than likely won't be riding 2 up on it.

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks,
Mike
It can reach that speed but you might be squeezing it to it's full potential already. Get something bigger.IMO
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

alx123 wrote:It can reach that speed but you might be squeezing it to it's full potential already. Get something bigger.IMO
I agree. Interstate riding on a PCX is pushing it to its limits. IMO, it would be the equivalent of running a car at 100-120 mph. We wouldn't want to do that regularly, so why would we do it with a PCX?
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(