Resizing Pictures

Pictures of your scooter, ride reports, and day trips.

Moderator: Modsquad

kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Resizing Pictures

Post by kramnala58 »

There have been a number of comments regarding resizing pictures. GN2 introduced me to this free software more than three years ago. Once you have in installed, it is a very simple drag & drop process to resize the image. Here are two link to download pages.

http://download.cnet.com/VarieDrop/3000 ... 33839.html

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/variedrop.html
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Re: Resizing Pictures

Post by k2apache6.0 »

If you're on windows you can use paint to resize, it comes with windows and it's easy to use too, you can resize by pixel or by percentage and alter the aspect ratio.
My PCX mod build here..
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7113
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

It would be nice to limit the size of pics to less than the max allowed as when viewing on less than 1920 displays, the images are huge :) (I am guilty too as the 1st pics I uploaded of my new PCX were the max size allowed but not good for lesser res screens, which is often the case of tablets and some phones/PC's).
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

Another very nice one for PC is pixresizer: http://pixresizer.en.softonic.com/

Very easy to use on one picture or on a batch.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

What resolution are people running at for this to be a problem? it's 2016.. not 1998.
aka DrewJW
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

I don't recall there being many 720p touchscreen smartphones or tablets in 1998, there's billions of them now.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

gn2 wrote:I don't recall there being many 720p touchscreen smartphones or tablets in 1998, there's billions of them now.
720p people still use that resolution? o_O
aka DrewJW
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Yes, most tablets and smartphones are that resolution, as are most laptops.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

It doesn't seem that much of a hassle to resize a picture. A pic from my smartphone or my camera is 5 meg - that will take a fair time to load and chew up a fair bit of webspace, in addition to possible requiring my viewer to sweep back and forth to see the whole thing. The original picture is far larger than needed to get a respectable image onto our devices.

My humble opinion - your workload tolerance may differ.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015

Post by GatorGreg »

There is another easy way assuming you took the pics on an iphone (but it might work on others too I don't know). Simply email the photo to yourself and the phone will prompt you for what size you want to send. Choose either small or medium (not large or actual size). Then save the emailed image and voila, it's now small enough to upload to this forum.
2018 Yamaha SMAX Raven Black (aka Majesty S)
RIP 2015 Honda PCX 150 Pearl White
RIP 2010 Honda Elite (Lead) 110 Black
Check out GatorGreg's Motovlog on YouTube
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Problem with tiny images they lack any detail, so quite often people will ask for higher resolution images to get that detail.
aka DrewJW
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

DrewJW wrote:Problem with tiny images they lack any detail, so quite often people will ask for higher resolution images to get that detail.
So post a link so them as wants it can go get it.
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Or work with 1080p which is a quite standard resolution. The iPads run at a massive 2048x1536 on the Air 2, and that is only going up with later variants as 4K becomes the main standard. 1440P monitors for PC's are dropping in price, and TV's are being sold with 1440p/4K being offered at very good rates.
aka DrewJW
lust
Year: 2013

Post by lust »

I'm a new member and I have to admit, this photo resizing is lame. The site should automatically resize when posting photos. This is something I would expect 10 years ago.. I use many forums and this is the only one that requires this.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

The image resolution was decided by Maddie dog the site owner who I believe uses very high end kit....
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

DrewJW wrote:Or work with 1080p which is a quite standard resolution. The iPads run at a massive 2048x1536 on the Air 2, and that is only going up with later variants as 4K becomes the main standard. 1440P monitors for PC's are dropping in price, and TV's are being sold with 1440p/4K being offered at very good rates.
iPads are not the norm, most tablets run Android on far lower res screens.

Monitors and televisions can drop in price all they like, why would anyone ditch a perfectly good working monitor or television to get a higher resolution which they don't even need?
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

DrewJW wrote:What resolution are people running at for this to be a problem? it's 2016.. not 1998.
It is only a "problem" because this platform won't let me add files as large as the originals from my phone camera, and even then it is not really a "problem". Maybe other forums handle pics better, but for the price we pay , I am more than happy .. and thankful to Maddiedog for keeping it running.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

gn2 wrote:
DrewJW wrote:Or work with 1080p which is a quite standard resolution. The iPads run at a massive 2048x1536 on the Air 2, and that is only going up with later variants as 4K becomes the main standard. 1440P monitors for PC's are dropping in price, and TV's are being sold with 1440p/4K being offered at very good rates.

Monitors and televisions can drop in price all they like, why would anyone ditch a perfectly good working monitor or television to get a higher resolution which they don't even need?

Time waits for no man.

Why should the world wait for those too stubborn to move with the flow of technology in a reasonable pace?

I use a LG 21:9 2560x1080 and a Dell 16:10 at 1200x1920, my NAS server uses two x 1980x1080's. And those were £10 each basic TN panels.

There is no excuse not to be fully 1080p in today's day and age.

As for basic Android tablets, they're EOL items, their technology is basic and outdated and they serve to do email and Facebook which BTW resizes images automatically permitting the user to expand them at their own desire.

I don't know the state of play tech wise in the USA, never left the UK to be frank, but if I could get a i3 computer with a 1080p monitor for less than £300 which is not a lot of money in today's world what's the issue?
aka DrewJW
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:

Because they aren't Scottish.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

DrewJW wrote:if I could get a i3 computer with a 1080p monitor for less than £300 which is not a lot of money in today's world what's the issue?
The issue is the £300
Why spend £300 on new hardware when the hardware you have does everything you need...?

I suppose its like the plates of shame & CBT combo.
Why would anyone run around on a 125 with plates of shame when you could spend some money on a full licence and get a higher resolution scooter...? :lol: