Opinions on Tyres for the Forza

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

AustinPCX
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: Opinions on Tyres for the Forza

Post by AustinPCX »

No longer own the PCX. The 150's have better grip and a smoother ride.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
txpcx13
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 13&14
Color: Rojox2

Post by txpcx13 »

I guess that I will be going with the +1 wider rear on both the Forza and PCX when the time comes.
I am just down the rode from you.....here in San Antonio.
2013 Honda PCX (Red) - NCY 13g rollers, golden variator, drive face, YSS shocks, Givi E450
2014 Honda Forza (Red) - Adige 17g rollers, Kappa K466
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

My local dealer in Chilliwack, BC is having problems getting a rear 140/70-13 Michelin CityGrip for my 2014 Forza. 3 suppliers are back ordered. I have started to get a tire a little earlier than last time when I ran out of tread right down to the steel.

I have some tread left and the weather is starting to get cold & crappy.

The dealer phoned today and suggested a Michelin Power Pure dual compound tire. It is supposed to be a copy of a rain racing tire. I am not sure how good it will be on my occasional gravel road trips.

Has anyone used one of these? How long do they last? Can they take abuse?

Staying home right now as we have 80 km wind and heavy rain. My mobile home is rocking and I am slightly scared. I have lived in two houses which had trees fall on them while I was in the room. I also had a guy with a chainsaw drop a tree on my DR650 while I was riding it. I got a secondary hit from lightening one day. I am going back to bed at noon and hiding under the sheets.
Daguang
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: white

Post by Daguang »

If you want a durable tire, MAXXIS, CST and KENDA could be considered.
Cheap and durable, each tire could run at least 10000 miles.
However, comfortable and anti-slippery may not be good.
I just bought Pirelli Diablo 150-70-13 to replace the rear tire.
Attachments
TB2N5TZpXXXXXbmXXXXXXXXXXXX_!!908425035.jpg
TB2N5TZpXXXXXbmXXXXXXXXXXXX_!!908425035.jpg (33.97 KiB) Viewed 1295 times
TB2eTaRuXXXXXXiXpXXXXXXXXXX_!!160902915.jpg
TB2eTaRuXXXXXXiXpXXXXXXXXXX_!!160902915.jpg (228.66 KiB) Viewed 1295 times
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Why would anyone bet their life on cheap tires?

Being dead with lots of money makes no sense.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

davenowherejones wrote:Why would anyone bet their life on cheap tires?

Being dead with lots of money makes no sense.

I'm not sure they all come with an automatic death sentence...
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Nor are they guaranteed to be cheap.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

So which Cheng Shin tire is better than the Michelin Power Pure or Michelin CityGrip?

Or available in Canada?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Nor are they guaranteed to be cheap.
Mind you we're both of a certain age that cheng shin sends a certain shiver down the spine :lol:
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Quite frankly all of the tires are better than I can handle as an older rider and quite frankly I was never a very good rider.

I had Cheng Shin tires on one of my motorcycles once. I don't remember which one nor did I have big problems with them. (BWS?, Geely?)

People complain about Bridgestone Trailwings as being a poor tire but I never had any problems with the "Deathwings"

I think it all comes down to the rider skill more than the quality of the tires. Some people have more skill than the tires can handle but most of us blame the tires for our poor riding skills.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

davenowherejones wrote:Quite frankly all of the tires are better than I can handle as an older rider and quite frankly I was never a very good rider.

I had Cheng Shin tires on one of my motorcycles once. I don't remember which one nor did I have big problems with them. (BWS?, Geely?)

People complain about Bridgestone Trailwings as being a poor tire but I never had any problems with the "Deathwings"

I think it all comes down to the rider skill more than the quality of the tires. Some people have more skill than the tires can handle but most of us blame the tires for our poor riding skills.

Ok. Agree
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

There is no magic tyre which will make a Forza suitable for gravel roads with broken up surface.
For that you does need a KLR.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

gn2 wrote:There is no magic tyre which will make a Forza suitable for gravel roads with broken up surface.
For that you does need a KLR.
Or a DR650 which I had with Michelin dual compound tires. The Michelin Anakee 3 tire was a dual sport tire that looked like a road tire. It had V Grooves that were amazingly effective on gravel roads but useless in mud or snow (BTDT!). They were long lasting for a dual sport tire but I sold the DR650 before they wore out. I was injured and could no longer push the bush pig up a little hill, too heavy for an older guy.

The Forza is actually pretty good on slippery gravel roads but it has no suspension travel so speeds have to be very slow going "around" the pot holes. The air intake is too low for river crossings and probably for dusty roads. A damp gravel road is rideable at slow speeds for short distances. Mind you the BC, Canada version of short is probably longer than you think.

Going to see salmon sex and death later today if it ever stops raining. The Orientals all go crazy to see the salmon sex, Grandma and the kids all go in multiple expensive German SUV's for the outing.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Have you considered an RX3 ?
http://www.rx3adventure.com/
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

gn2 wrote:Have you considered an RX3 ?
The RX3 is an interesting motorcycle but it has no dealers. It is basically a generic Chinese copy of something. I had a Chinese Geely 150cc scooter for a while. I had absolutely no faith in its ability to stay together. It was too cheaply built. (Almost like a Forza???)

At 120 kmph downhill next to a 50 ton truck is not the time to wonder if your front wheel is going to come off.

The RX3 seems to be a better quality motorcycle.

The Canadian dollar is almost worthless so an American imported Chinese motorcycle starts to get expensive.

I would like a Yamaha XT250 dual sport. I am off to check the lotto tickets. Who knows?????
Daguang
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Daguang »

davenowherejones wrote:Quite frankly all of the tires are better than I can handle as an older rider and quite frankly I was never a very good rider.

davenowherejones, you do are really good rider
Daguang
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Daguang »

davenowherejones wrote:
gn2 wrote:Have you considered an RX3 ?
The RX3 is an interesting motorcycle but it has no dealers. It is basically a generic Chinese copy of something. I had a Chinese Geely 150cc scooter for a while. I had absolutely no faith in its ability to stay together. It was too cheaply built. (Almost like a Forza???)

At 120 kmph downhill next to a 50 ton truck is not the time to wonder if your front wheel is going to come off.

The RX3 seems to be a better quality motorcycle.

The Canadian dollar is almost worthless so an American imported Chinese motorcycle starts to get expensive.

I would like a Yamaha XT250 dual sport. I am off to check the lotto tickets. Who knows?????
As a Chinese biker, I strongly suggest the RX3 is not a good bike, not now, at least.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

The salmon sex got delayed. The weather was marginally acceptable so I decided to use up the rear tire some more by going to see the newly installed wind turbines at Pennask Summit (5669 ft). It was a 400 km round trip. There was snow falling at the Coquihalla Summit (4,081 ft) and again when I got to Pennask. I got more cow shit on the tires on the Coldwater Rd.

The Michelin CityGrips took it all in stride. I had to buy a pair of women's nylon socks to wear under my wool socks for my cold feet. I had my thin glove liners on under my winter imitation goretex mittens. Coffee and Chai got me through the day with a chocolate milk to help.

Tires are on order but tomorrow I will try for the Thanksgiving Pumpkin Drop at the closing day of the Hells Gate Air Tram if the highway does not fall down the mountain or visa versa. The Michelins & Forza are pretty good in the cold.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

The mountain fell down on the highway just over the river at Hope blocking the beginning of the Lougheed Highway 7. There are still huge blocks of rock that are just barely defying gravity. More to come down soon. The cracks are big and it is tempting to pull a rock or two out of the hill. It would also be deadly to do so.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Today was salmon sex followed up by bringing a Michelin Power Pure rear tire home for my Forza 300. I will probably keep the tire at home over the winter and have it installed in the spring. The Michelin CityGrip is just not wearing out as fast as I expected.

There were practically no salmon in the spawning grounds. I wonder if the factory ships have caught all of them. There were also almost no expensive German cars nor were there any Asian people watching the salmon die. Weird!

Big storm after midnight, gonna hide under the pillows.