Opinions on Tyres for the Forza

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Mister_Fube
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: white

Opinions on Tyres for the Forza

Post by Mister_Fube »

Hi. About a couple of months ago I got a new Dunlop Scoot Smart for my rear - it's the 3rd one, now and I've not yet changed the front. Now, I've noticed the front is near the limit of it's tread depth and since I was looking, the rear seems to be back down to needing a change again, soonish. Damn, that was quick. I'm not doing burnouts or anything. Last year I was doing fairly big miles on my Forza, but this year I am not.

So basically, while I've had no reason to complain with the OEM Dunlops, I was wondering if anyone had any experience of the other tyres that also fit the Forza. I know the wheel size means that historically there hasn't been a great deal of choice, but I've noticed these on ebay - albeit only ever the front tyre:

Michelin City Grip
Avon Vyper Stryke
Pirelli Diablo Scooter
Bridgestone Hoop B03
Bridgestone Battlax SC

All claim to come in a 120/70 R14, but I haven't seen any listings for the rear tyres. Any and all info on these are appreciated.

[URL=http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/nss300a_forza_abs/2014/mrfube/330690]Image
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Opinions on Tyres for the Forza

Post by gn2 »

Here's the full list of what's available, links are to the Tyre Intelligence website.
Front: http://tinyurl.com/hxp3xa6
Rear: http://tinyurl.com/p93ums5
So looking at the listings, if you want a matched pair in the correct sizes, it has to be Scootsmarts.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

I put a Michelin CityGrip 150/70-13 on my 2014 Forza 300 about 7600 km ago. It seems to be not wearing at all. I ride in the rain and have no problems. The tire does not rub anywhere. I weigh about 200 lbs in all my gear. (My jacket must weigh 20 lbs it seems)

I want to put a CityGrip on the front soon. My Dunlop is wearing strange.
Mister_Fube
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mister_Fube »

gn2 - thanks for the links to Tyre Intelligence. Now THAT is a useful website to know about!

daveknowherejones - I hadn't even thought of putting on a wider tyre. Did you notice whether or not that affected the handling when you first put it on?

[URL=http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/nss300a_forza_abs/2014/mrfube/330690]Image
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mister Paul »

I just got through a rear Scootsmart in 3500 middle-aged, mainly motorway miles.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

I average over 6000 miles per rear tyre.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
AustinPCX
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by AustinPCX »

I got 5400 miles on the original Scootsmart, 7500 miles on the 150/70-13 Metzeler Feelfree and on track to get another 7500 miles on the second Metzeler Feelfree.

I got just over 17,000 miles on the original front tire, put another OEM Scootsmart on the front.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I did not notice any difference with the wider tire but I really was not paying attention nor do I push the tires hard. I ride in the rain a lot. I tend to be slow and smooth. I am also very light on the brakes. I have practised panic stops and the ABS keeps the tires from doing anything stupid.

I am hoping the Michelins last a long time because I hate wasting time changing tires every few months. If I bought car tires that only lasted a few months I would be screaming that they were defective and wanting a warranty replacement set.
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mister Paul »

gn2 wrote:I average over 6000 miles per rear tyre.
My previous rear Scootsmart lasted 6500. Dunno why the last one was different.

I only noticed it was down the the wear marks when I took it in last week to part ex for my new bike. They tried to knock £100 off the part ex price because of it. When I pointed out how little a scooter tyre costs they dropped it to £55.
Mister_Fube
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mister_Fube »

So the impression I'm getting from everyone here is that 150 section tyre on the rear of the Forzas seems not to cause any problems. It would be nice to get a matching pair on the scooter, but more to the point, I'd prefer to have more choice as to brand and tyre model on the rear, especially since, based on current experience, I'm going to be buying them quite frequently.

I wonder, do any of you guys who've mentioned you're running 150 tyres on the rear ALSO have the YSS rear shocks. It's an upgrade I fully intend to make at some point. I just felt it might be worth checking the knowledge base, here to see if there's any conflict with having both those things together.

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Remember that in the UK you are obliged to inform your insurer that you have fitted the wrong size of tyre.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I am going to get a Michelin 120/70-14 CityGrip front tire for my Forza 300. The ScootSmart is wearing strangely and has 18,000 km (11,000 miles) on it. My rear Citygrip now has 8000 km (5000 miles) was looks really good.

My DR650 has Michelin Annakee 3's and they seem to be lasting longer than my previous Heidenau's and the factory tires.

I always seem to be buying tires or other parts way too often. I just want to go riding.
Mister_Fube
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mister_Fube »

I've put Michelin City Grips on both front and rear, now. Having eaten through 3 rear dunlops and 1 front dunlop at 16000 miles, I'm want to see if the Michelins can outlive the Dunlops. I can't yet report any noticeable improvement on grip until I've scrubbed them in, but running a quick errand this morning - I was immediately struck by the (shock) difference between having some new (round) tyres on the scoot after running some near-bald, squared-off dunlops for a while. I nearly fell over on the first corner I took. :oops:

That could have been embarassing.

Anyway, if anyone was in any doubt, the tyre guy confirmed that the 150/70 13 tyres don't appear visually larger on the Forza's rear rim, and significantly, the tyre does not bulge in the way he said some tyres do that have been fitted to thinner rims than intended. The tread area is fully exposed to the road at all lean angles. He also stated his personal preference towards Michelins over Dunlops as a general rule of thumb.

Having to renew my insurance now, and I noticed that declaring the wider tyres has pushed my premium up a bit. I've hit that critical 5 modification limit that the mainstream insurance companies stipulate. I might have to take off my tall screen in order to fit my YSS shocks when I eventually get round to ordering them. :roll:

DioTiAma
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 NSS300A
Color: Seal Silver

Post by DioTiAma »

Changed my front tire for the second time today. 31.000km total. First time was around 15.000km. Dunlop ScootSmart from Netherlands, arrived in four days, 70 euros.
Pete07bikes
Color: White

Post by Pete07bikes »

My original rear tyre lasted 7,500 miles, the second - another Dunlop Superscoot lasted 7,000
My commute is 25 mile each way dual carriageway ridden gently at 60-65 mph and I try not to do heavy braking/accelerating by observing traffic well ahead and adjusting my speed accordingly
I don't ride with a pillion or topbox and just have lunch under the seat - my weight is 13.5 stone.

My previous scooters, An Swing 125 also did 7,000 miles on a back tyre and, before that a Vespa 300 only di 6,000 miles

Hope that helps
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I am running a Michelin CityGrip 120/70-14 on the front. It has 7,000 km (4400 miles) on it now and looks good. The original Scootsmart got replaced after 21,000 km (13,000 miles) because I wanted to match the Michelin rear.

The original ScootSmart lasted until 9800 km (6000 miles) and was replaced because I picked up a staple. The second rear was a Michelin CityGrip 150/70-13 which I ran way past the wear bars due to problems getting a replacement tire. It had a wire sticking out and finally got replaced after 16,000 km (9900 miles). The replacement Michelin 150/70-13 now has only 2400 km so has a long way to go.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Mister_Fube wrote:I've put Michelin City Grips on both front and rear, now. Having eaten through 3 rear dunlops and 1 front dunlop at 16000 miles, I'm want to see if the Michelins can outlive the Dunlops. I can't yet report any noticeable improvement on grip until I've scrubbed them in, but running a quick errand this morning - I was immediately struck by the (shock) difference between having some new (round) tyres on the scoot after running some near-bald, squared-off dunlops for a while. I nearly fell over on the first corner I took. :oops:

That could have been embarassing.

Anyway, if anyone was in any doubt, the tyre guy confirmed that the 150/70 13 tyres don't appear visually larger on the Forza's rear rim, and significantly, the tyre does not bulge in the way he said some tyres do that have been fitted to thinner rims than intended. The tread area is fully exposed to the road at all lean angles. He also stated his personal preference towards Michelins over Dunlops as a general rule of thumb.

Having to renew my insurance now, and I noticed that declaring the wider tyres has pushed my premium up a bit. I've hit that critical 5 modification limit that the mainstream insurance companies stipulate. I might have to take off my tall screen in order to fit my YSS shocks when I eventually get round to ordering them. :roll:
Is it the Honda optional tall screen.....and does that count as a modification?
I too had to go to a one size larger rear tire due to lack of avail. following a puncture.
Noticed no issues. ...but then I don't ride like Rossi...or Rosie either for that matter.
Fish
Road-Dog
Year: 2015
Color: Red

Post by Road-Dog »

I average roughly 3500 miles on the rear tire before it needs to be replaced. I cant see anyone thinking a Forza "burns" tires so its either a softer/better gripping tire issue or just another way to milk customers.
AustinPCX
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by AustinPCX »

I put 5400 miles on the original Dunlop rear tire. 7300 on the first Metzeler Feelfree and 8000 so far on the second Feelfree.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
txpcx13
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 13&14
Color: Rojox2

Post by txpcx13 »

AustinPCX, how do you like the 150/70 vs the stock 140/70? Hopefully you can remember considering how many miles you have on your scoot now? Do you still have a PCX or did you let it go when you bought the Forza?
2013 Honda PCX (Red) - NCY 13g rollers, golden variator, drive face, YSS shocks, Givi E450
2014 Honda Forza (Red) - Adige 17g rollers, Kappa K466