Salmon Arm finally

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Salmon Arm finally

Post by davenowherejones »

I tried to go to Salmon Arm the previous Sunday. It was so hot and I made too many detours that I never got there.

Yesterday I took the direct route on the highway and got there in my 6 hour time limit. My dog has a 12 hour bladder. I can get my neighbour to let the little pain in the ass mutt out but he runs away and she is old.

Yesterday was 617 km (383 miles) but it was a brutal ride back in a punishing wind. I have the high Honda shield but it felt like a boxing match. I kept taking Advil but it did not work. I have tilted the handlebar down one notch so that I get a bit of a racing crouch. The mpg really suffers at highway speeds in a headwind. Amazingly it never rained.

The previous Sunday I had done about 600 km but I never made it there. I went on the west side of Okanagan Lake. Today the west side is on fire. I enjoyed Fintry Park and the scary roads.

I am getting too old for this nonsense (57). I have been hit with a bunch of medical problems. It takes too long to recover from too much fun.
asolof
Year: 2016 Forza 300
Color: Red

Re: Salmon Arm finally

Post by asolof »

Were you wearing ear plugs? I find they make a huge improvement in comfort, especially if riding a long time and / or at higher speeds. Much less stressful.

I have the GIVI airflow windscreen. It is adjustable. I'm short and need it in the lowest position in order to look over the screen. It throws the air over my helmet. If you are taller you can just adjust it higher. I haven't tried raising it to a look through height because it hasn't been necessary.

I'm not getting any younger either, but if you take that reasoning to its logical conclusion you would take a car. But then you'd miss your scooter.
2016 Forza 300
Givi Airflow, Givi V56, Admore lights, Vista Cruise
Previous Bikes: 2006 B400, 2009 B650
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

The Westside Road is beautiful, I live in West Kelowna so I've done the route several times.

It's raining on and off in the area, which is good news. July was a wet month so the forest fires come as a bit of a surprise.

I test rode a Reflex on Friday. I don't know about the Forza but the Reflex felt more susceptible to the effects of crosswinds. It was still a comfortable ride, nice power. I thought I wanted a bike like a V-Strom 650 but man the test ride on the Reflex got me considering a maxi scooter. I'd likely go for the Forza for the fuel injection and extra power, although I do prefer the Reflex's sportier styling.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

asolof wrote:Were you wearing ear plugs? I find they make a huge improvement in comfort, especially if riding a long time and / or at higher speeds. Much less stressful.

I have the GIVI airflow windscreen. It is adjustable. I'm short and need it in the lowest position in order to look over the screen. It throws the air over my helmet. If you are taller you can just adjust it higher. I haven't tried raising it to a look through height because it hasn't been necessary.

I'm not getting any younger either, but if you take that reasoning to its logical conclusion you would take a car. But then you'd miss your scooter.
I am hearing impaired and I find it very confusing to wear ear plugs. Things are just too quiet. Things sneak up on me all the time. For me it is too dangerous.

I have the Tall Honda screen and it is too tall for my 5 foot six when I ride in the rain. I need a little more wind to keep my helmet fog free when it is wet.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

dkazzed wrote:The Westside Road is beautiful, I live in West Kelowna so I've done the route several times.

It's raining on and off in the area, which is good news. July was a wet month so the forest fires come as a bit of a surprise.

I test rode a Reflex on Friday. I don't know about the Forza but the Reflex felt more susceptible to the effects of crosswinds. It was still a comfortable ride, nice power. I thought I wanted a bike like a V-Strom 650 but man the test ride on the Reflex got me considering a maxi scooter. I'd likely go for the Forza for the fuel injection and extra power, although I do prefer the Reflex's sportier styling.
The Reflex is old and the Forza is underpowered. If you plan on riding any distance I would get a Burgman 400 ABS at the least.
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

davenowherejones wrote: The Reflex is old and the Forza is underpowered. If you plan on riding any distance I would get a Burgman 400 ABS at the least.
95% of my riding is commuting and thus my prefered weight limit is 425lb. The Burgman 400 is expensive and close to 500lb and at that weight, I'd rather ride a V-Strom 650 or Honda NC750X -- I know both bikes are also closer to 500lb but I love how the adventure bikes ride. Good power and very comfortable. I personally found the Reflex to be heavy as well even though it's only 375 lb.

Forza is tempting because remaining brand new 2015s are only $4399. I also like the Burgman 200 ABS. I've never ridden either yet.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS