Bigger Grips. Converting 7/8 motorcycle Grips.

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

St.Clair
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Black & Red

Bigger Grips. Converting 7/8 motorcycle Grips.

Post by St.Clair »

Just thought I would share some info on grips. Most grips are made from two or three parts so there is no reason you cannot use most grips after some modifications. Kuryakyn is the name of the grips I use, very comfortable but they wear down if you use gloves with armoured inner grips.....so I don't.

There are a few good benifits of having bigger better grips but my favourites are, less throttle movement in the wrist and comfort. The new motorbike grips will be the length of stock including bar weights. Type of glue..epoxy non burning kind that can be peeled away another day. Hope it helps.

https://youtu.be/Nz_ChCOcMdU
I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything.
Nikola Tesla
db22
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Re: Bigger Grips. Converting 7/8 motorcycle Grips.

Post by db22 »

I came to like Biltwell grips on my old CB550s; hoping they will be adaptable to my new PCX. Do the weights on the handlebar ends serve any real purpose? I assume they do, since Honda put them there.
I may be goin' to hell in a bucket, but at least I'm enjoyin' the ride...
St.Clair
Regular User
Regular User

Post by St.Clair »

db22 wrote:I came to like Biltwell grips on my old CB550s; hoping they will be adaptable to my new PCX. Do the weights on the handlebar ends serve any real purpose? I assume they do, since Honda put them there.
I think the Bolt well grip will be fine. The most you will have to do is remove the inner throttle body. Bar weights generally make a steadier bar when handling lightly. When you add m/c grips most ate a bit longer than stock so you can fashion your own weights. Washers glued together and wedged into the end of the new grips once you measure your extra space.
I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything.
Nikola Tesla
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waspmike »

I use foam covers like this. Cheap and comfortable and come in different colours.

I slip them over existing grips and secure with hair spray.

They also come as a single tube which one cuts in half.

I have been using those for about 15 years. About one pair per season.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

I like the foam slide on grips too.. They make it much easier for my old tired hands…...
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
St.Clair
Regular User
Regular User

Post by St.Clair »

2016-03-17 02.26.45.jpg
2016-03-17 02.26.45.jpg (409.97 KiB) Viewed 1403 times
Was thinking of something more like this. Can last well over two years with appropriate gloves.
Nikola Tesla
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Because of the ridges, I would want to feel them in my hands before committing to purchasing them.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Thank you St. Clair for the video showing us how you installed your Kuryakyn grips. These are a popular choice among bikers. Good looking too. I'm wondering, did I see a throttle control?

@wm, your bottom pic of grips reminds me of "grip puppies." I have an unused pair around here somewhere. Hairspray secures them with no future worries? Never read that. Live and learn and I'll bet you did by experience ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
St.Clair
Regular User
Regular User

Post by St.Clair »

WhiteNoise wrote:Thank you St. Clair for the video showing us how you installed your Kuryakyn grips. These are a popular choice among bikers. Good looking too. I'm wondering, did I see a throttle control?

@wm, your bottom pic of grips reminds me of "grip puppies." I have an unused pair around here somewhere. Hairspray secures them with no future worries? Never read that. Live and learn and I'll bet you did by experience ;)
Yeah.thes3 one have the throttle rest. I remember when I got them before in the UK from eBay the came from China and cost less than £10. They are even cheaper here..the grip is very spongy like air filled rubber. Only downside is my grip in UK have armoured inner fingers. The end rubber on the left wore down after for some reason.maybe reaching for the indicators. Overall though great grips...they are still on my sold burgman 3 years later.
Nikola Tesla
St.Clair
Regular User
Regular User

Post by St.Clair »

kramnala58 wrote:Because of the ridges, I would want to feel them in my hands before committing to purchasing them.
On the PCX they feel like gel grips used on mountain bikes. Very comfortable as they compress when you grip them. Think they still have them on Lazada. I wouldn't pay more than £10 pound for these as they are £6 for the same grip in China.
Nikola Tesla