It's gone

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

DailyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2017
Color: Dark blue

It's gone

Post by DailyRider »

They disabled our security cameras and cut the sturdy cable lock
GoneScooter.jpg
GoneScooter.jpg (170.82 KiB) Viewed 1852 times

:cry:
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: It's gone

Post by homie »

Unbelievable... this is the 2nd or 3rd time you've have had vandals go at your precious. LOSERS!!!!!
So there will be a brand new one in your future?
Attachments
mac&chief3.jpg
mac&chief3.jpg (9.1 KiB) Viewed 1848 times
DailyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by DailyRider »

Thanks, Homie :)

I'll need another one, unless the first one miraculously returns in good condition.
And stronger anti-theft measures (I'm leaning toward some kind of exploding device, although I'll probably walk
until that temptation passes).

At least they didn't get my helmet.
triaxor
Regular User
Regular User

Post by triaxor »

That's why I used a hardened steel chain instead of a rope chain, some people just don't respect other peoples property :(

Current Bike(s)~ (Casper) 2019 Honda Forza 125
Previous Bikes ~ (Rosie) 2018 Honda CB125R : (Stumpy) 2017 Honda MSX 125 (Grom) : (Ghost) 2016 Honda PCX 125 : (Lillith) 2016 Honda PCX 125 : (Gizmo) 2015 Sinnis Apache 125
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

My cable is twice that thick and I still worry that it isn't strong enough. I have really been thinking about a chain plus a disc brake lock. It is really lousy what we have to go through to protect a little scooter.
The really sad part of this whole thing is that there are still people out there who believe that it is OK to steal other people's stuff because, as they say,"They don't have as many opportunities to improve their way of life as the people they steal from, who can always get a replacement." Really??
So that means that it is OK to steal?
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
triaxor
Regular User
Regular User

Post by triaxor »

Mel46 wrote:My cable is twice that thick and I still worry that it isn't strong enough. I have really been thinking about a chain plus a disc brake lock. It is really lousy what we have to go through to protect a little scooter.
The really sad part of this whole thing is that there are still people out there who believe that it is OK to steal other people's stuff because, as they say,"They don't have as many opportunities to improve their way of life as the people they steal from, who can always get a replacement." Really??
Got a disc lock too, one of the 6mm Xena alarmed one's, hell I even have a roped combination security wire securing the cover, paranoid yes, but at least my stuff hopefully doesn't get pinched.. :(
Previous Bikes ~ (Rosie) 2018 Honda CB125R : (Stumpy) 2017 Honda MSX 125 (Grom) : (Ghost) 2016 Honda PCX 125 : (Lillith) 2016 Honda PCX 125 : (Gizmo) 2015 Sinnis Apache 125
DailyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by DailyRider »

triaxor wrote:That's why I used a hardened steel chain instead of a rope chain, some people just don't respect other peoples property :(

Ooooo, I definitely need one of those!!
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Red

Post by flyingzonker »

Was it in a communal garage or outside?

It is a bad feeling to come of a sunny morning on a sight like that. I feel your pain from all these many miles away.

No doubt you have theft insurance. Still, it's like falling down an open manhole--I can imagine. Happily I have been able to avoid that sort of collision with reality--as I type this I am looking around for some wood to knock on.

There is a species of cctv video on Youtube that documents the antics of motorcycle thieves--how they approach and take over their prey. Watch enough of them and you might get some idea how to thwart their wily ways.
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

Mel46 wrote:My cable is twice that thick and I still worry that it isn't strong enough. I have really been thinking about a chain plus a disc brake lock.
I think that is a really good idea. Most motorcycle thieves in this country first break the steering lock, by main force, and then jump the ignition some way. If they know they also have to tackle a disc lock, they might just walk on by.

The cable method of theft prevention...well look at the OP for what that is worth.

In Europe it is somewhat different--more vans are used there for this endeavor.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

DailyRider wrote:Thanks, Homie :)

I'll need another one, unless the first one miraculously returns in good condition.
And stronger anti-theft measures (I'm leaning toward some kind of exploding device, although I'll probably walk

No exploding device please, we must temper ourselves and have mercy on those less fortunate :roll: Might be time to invest in a Harley product called 'fork cuffs'. I own a pair of these and although youyou would say they were **** and he could torch it off, that hasn't happened to me yet. I have been known to lock the scoot to a bicycle rack or park bench with no ne'er-do-well activity to report. These use the barrel keys so no picking and the steel is formidable :lol:

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-8290 ... B0009V1WQQ
Attachments
cuffs.jpg
cuffs.jpg (109.19 KiB) Viewed 1819 times
cuffs2.jpg
cuffs2.jpg (57.9 KiB) Viewed 1819 times
cuff3.jpg
cuff3.jpg (173.93 KiB) Viewed 1819 times
DailyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by DailyRider »

triaxor wrote:
Mel46 wrote:My cable is twice that thick and I still worry that it isn't strong enough. I have really been thinking about a chain plus a disc brake lock. It is really lousy what we have to go through to protect a little scooter.
Got a disc lock too, one of the 6mm Xena alarmed one's, hell I even have a roped combination security wire securing the cover, paranoid yes, but at least my stuff hopefully doesn't get pinched.. :(
Yes, the disk lock sounds good...
But I'm also worried about forgetting to unlock it and trying to ride off with it still on.
DailyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by DailyRider »

flyingzonker wrote:Was it in a communal garage or outside?

It is a bad feeling to come of a sunny morning on a sight like that. I feel your pain from all these many miles away.

No doubt you have theft insurance. Still, it's like falling down an open manhole--I can imagine. Happily I have been able to avoid that sort of collision with reality--as I type this I am looking around for some wood to knock on.

There is a species of cctv video on Youtube that documents the antics of motorcycle thieves--how they approach and take over their prey. Watch enough of them and you might get some idea how to thwart their wily ways.
I only have an open carport. I thought that locking it to a pole with cameras watching it would be enough, but apparently not.
DailyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by DailyRider »

homie wrote:Might be time to invest in a Harley product called 'fork cuffs'. I own a pair of these and although youyou would say they were **** and he could torch it off, that hasn't happened to me yet. I have been known to lock the scoot to a bicycle rack or park bench with no ne'er-do-well activity to report. These use the barrel keys so no picking and the steel is formidable :lol:
Excellent, someone makes scooter handcuffs!
triaxor
Regular User
Regular User

Post by triaxor »

DailyRider wrote:
triaxor wrote:
Yes, the disk lock sounds good...
But I'm also worried about forgetting to unlock it and trying to ride off with it still on.
You can also get this cord that connects to your handlebars to the disc lock, a bit like a bit of thread tied round round your finger to remind you it's there. :)

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I really like those cuffs! I might have to get a set, plus brake disc ...along with a reminder cord of some sort. I am glad they are starting to create locks for when we are out and about. I could get a big chain for home use but I don't want to have to carry it with me wherever I go.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Mel46 wrote:I really like those cuffs! I might have to get a set, plus brake disc ...along with a reminder cord of some sort. I am glad they are starting to create locks for when we are out and about. I could get a big chain for home use but I don't want to have to carry it with me wherever I go.
oops sorry Mel... don't buy the Chinese knock off linked above, here is the real deal from MasterLock with 198 reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-8290 ... Lock+Chain

You have watch for those cleaver Chinese on Amazon :lol:
Ishkabibble
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by Ishkabibble »

What a terrible thing to have happen.

I would be so angry if someone napped Natasha. I've put a lot of love into taking care of her and adding personalizing modifications, and I don't know what I'd do.

You could try two things, if I may be so bold.

1) Invest in a motion-sensing alarm system, and put your security cameras in a place where they can't be disabled. How the hell did they do that anyway?

2) Get a GPS tracking unit (like a LoJack or something similar) so that if it happens again, you'll be able to take the police right to it.

I hope you find them.

And I hope you explain to them, firmly, what the penalty is for taking someone's scooter. Preferably, with permanent effects.
I found something to put here.
Add yourself to the PCX-Forza Owner's Map!
Go here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ULV6Ib-uKsjMpWaPzPwAXmfB7vU&usp=sharing
For instructions how to add yourself go here: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6437#p88888

Be sure to add your Model, year, color, and name if your scoot has one!
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

DailyRider wrote: Yes, the disk lock sounds good...
This problem can be easily countered: Always park the bike so that you have to back away from some obstacle--parking curb, building wall, etc-- before you can engage the engine. That way, if you do forget you have the lock on--you will from time to time--you will be brought up short when the disc lock strikes one of the forks. I can't tell you how many times this ploy has saved me from trashing my rotor.
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

triaxor wrote: You can also get this cord that connects to your handlebars to the disc lock, a bit like a bit of thread tied round round your finger to remind you it's there. :)

I have found that even with a cord hooked to the handlebars, if I hadn't been otherwise impeded, I would have ignited and tried to dash off. That is why I don't rely on any kind of reminder that is subject or conditional upon having an ounce of brain in the head. I use a reminder that CAN'T be evaded. I park so that I have to back away from a parking curb or a wall--the result of having the disc lock still in place makes itself known immediately and without dire consequences. This works every time and has saved me more times than I would admit to my physician.

But, I think the cord is a good idea for another reason--it lets thieves know that you have a disc lock on your wheel. That way they won't be tempted to spend a lot of time breaking your steering lock and digging a hole in your dash to get at the ignition wires. Smart thieves will check the wheel, but dumb ones might just spend 15 minutes trashing your bike to get it started, only to find that their feverish labor was all for nought when as they fire up and twist the throttle your disc lock brings them to a sickeningly swift halt.
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

homie wrote:
DailyRider wrote:Thanks, Homie :)

No exploding device please, we must temper ourselves and have mercy on those less fortunate :roll: Might be time to invest in a Harley product called 'fork cuffs'. I own a pair of these and although youyou would say they were **** and he could torch it off, that hasn't happened to me yet. I have been known to lock the scoot to a bicycle rack or park bench with no ne'er-do-well activity to report. These use the barrel keys so no picking and the steel is formidable :lol:

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-8290 ... B0009V1WQQ
Those cuff look wicked--but do you really think they would stand up to one of these?:
https://www.amazon.com/Neiko%C2%AE-0056 ... er+36+inch