Pokémon GO & scootering

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Pokémon GO & scootering

Post by fish »

Anyone else spotting them during your scooter rides!?
18 to 25 yr old Americans wandering the city streets, staring at their cell phones.....singles, but most often seen in twos or threes.
On my scooter ride at 5:15 AM today I spotted 5 of them wandering the downtown streets!

While having coffee on a downtown bench the other day with my teen daughter she pointed out a dozen people doing this....."Pokémon GO" she explained.
Well heck....whatever it is...it's getting young folks off of the couch!
(anyone know a good, not too expensive phone that is capable of supporting this app? My old Samsung can't. How much whatever does your phone need?)
Thanks
FISH
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: Pokémon GO & scootering

Post by homie »

YES!!! I think its fun and so do a lot of nuts like me.
Attachments
pm.jpg
pm.jpg (31.78 KiB) Viewed 1884 times
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I think most of the cell phones today can handle the Pokémon app, and some of the phones are dirt cheap. I have a Samsung and so does my wife. If you look at places that have cheap cell service plans you will find some Samsungs in their selection as well. Heck, a friend of ours bought a Motorola E 3G phone on the Tracfone plan for $30 and just selected the phone at Walmart, so I have to conclude that if the screen is a touchscreen then the phone should work for Pokémon Go.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

There is no app for Windows phones. I have a Windows phone. For this I am glad. I spent too many years with my face glued to a screen. I missed a lot.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Red

Post by flyingzonker »

fish wrote:Anyone else spotting them during your scooter rides!?
18 to 25 yr old Americans wandering the city streets, staring at their cell phones.....singles, but most often seen in twos or threes.
On my scooter ride at 5:15 AM today I spotted 5 of them wandering the downtown streets!

While having coffee on a downtown bench the other day with my teen daughter she pointed out a dozen people doing this....."Pokémon GO" she explained.
Well heck....whatever it is...it's getting young folks off of the couch!
(anyone know a good, not too expensive phone that is capable of supporting this app? My old Samsung can't. How much whatever does your phone need?)
Thanks
FISH
I don't know what Pokeman is but I hate it already.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

flyingzonker wrote:I don't know what Pokeman is but I hate it already.
Ditto .... although I know somewhat of it from the media. It seems we miss so much around us because we are trying to capture everything in side of a 2¼X4½ inch (6cmX10cm) screen. I have learned to put the phone camera down and enjoy the moment.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

My officer friend says its the best thing to happen for the person that drives while intoxicated... cops can't tell the difference.

Either way something that has captured the entire country's imagination on a individual level at the same time is here to stay. Went to dinner with the wife and walked two miles around downtown in 90 degree's and didn't even notice I was working out because all we did was capture Polkemon with the other nuts. Smiling and laughing I never would have done that on a full stomach. And wouldn't have met some nice folks on the streets while doing it. Last night I pulled over on the Buell to adjust my headlights in the preserve and the police swooped down on me like I was Illegally dumping... I was light up so bright I thought it was aliens. The cop say's what are you doing? Playing pokeymon sir :)

This isn't going anywhere and it only evolves into unknown services using the same technology. Best get with it now, it has potential.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

In other words its the perfect excuse for being somewhere you maybe shouldn't be and creates alibi's and uncertainty. Sometimes one needs that. Heck I saw the hottest babe in a see through summer dress tonight... held my phone up and took her picture, just playing PG if anyone asks.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Chief has something to say now...

"Know environment in which your children and grand children relate or you might become as interesting as stew bum on lower whacker drive. Remember how you dragged feet with computer and now you can't post picture to forum. Its not wise to ignore things that involve so many lives around you. Mass hysteria of any kind has potential to separate you from society at any age... especially Geriatric.

Beware! toss your flip phones and get a decent smart phone at any cost and learn it. I don't want to see you people wandering around unable to carry conversation with grand child. You know how grand child love to show their achievements... this is where they go to achieve."

WELL!... that was very nice Chief... juicyfruit?
Attachments
juicyfruit.jpg
juicyfruit.jpg (13.04 KiB) Viewed 1843 times
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Pokemon Go takes such a toll on battery power stock in companies that make external cell phone batteries up 25%

LOL... I saw that one coming a week ago WOOT!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote:Chief has something to say now...

"Know environment in which your children and grand children relate or you might become as interesting as stew bum on lower whacker drive. Remember how you dragged feet with computer and now you can't post picture to forum. Its not wise to ignore things that involve so many lives around you. Mass hysteria of any kind has potential to separate you from society at any age... especially Geriatric.

Beware! toss your flip phones and get a decent smart phone at any cost and learn it. I don't want to see you people wandering around unable to carry conversation with grand child. You know how grand child love to show their achievements... this is where they go to achieve."

WELL!... that was very nice Chief... juicyfruit?

Agree tbh
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

you you wrote: Agree tbh
I don't always jump right in but this one dosent need reviews. Its simple, fun, minimal effort and features to play. Attracts young and old plus addictive as smoking. Yes, when there was nothing to do at the moment you used to light up... this is better for you.
axeltow
Year: 2016
Color: Black

Post by axeltow »

I like the way you think.

To be honest I downloaded just to see and know what ppl are talking about. Being a game though doesn't help so now I am playing it. People around me act like I am using heroin or something. The only time I play it is when I sit around (hence I don't catch many) and I think I have that much common sense not to go out at night trying to brake into someone's apartment. Honestly, I don't understand the hate I am getting.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

I'm not actively going places to play or chasing a particular Pokemon its just there if you care. Certainly has changed the attitude of impatient people in some parking situations which I am guilty of too. You know that person who is taking forever to load their groceries or car seat, the one that seems to be doing it on purpose. Perfect time to check for a Pokemon or two and never even get your blood pressure up. Even when they finally get their fat ass in the car and look at their phone I still had a couple thinks going on in pokemon and didn't care how slow they were :lol: All this while the guy behind me is playing pokemon :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wingscribe
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Steel Grey

Post by Wingscribe »

Yeah, I drank the cool-aide here. I hunt the damned things on my morning bicycle ride, on my lunch walk at work, whenever I can.

My morning commute has a new route that takes me down pokespot-laiden streets the re-up for supplies (I do come to a complete stop in parking places along the street - not playing while in motion).

Last week, I pulled into a local park to grab a spot, and the gaggle of kids there (anyone under 30 is a "kid" in my book) and they were impresssed with the scooter and my helmet - said I had a "pro-setup."

I was mayor of dorksville for that day.

Hey, I actually have something that I can bond with my kids in the great outdoors...I'll take it!

Mike
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Wingscribe wrote: I was mayor of dorksville for that day.
We ride scooters Mike, Some here might have a trophy bike or two but basically we ride scoot. People love to achieve in something, anything sometimes.... I get it.
Dork is the new norm and has been for quite a while.
Welcome my friend... level up!
Attachments
achievement.jpg
achievement.jpg (62.04 KiB) Viewed 1745 times
Wingscribe
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Steel Grey

Post by Wingscribe »

Thanks for the pic Homie (zooming into it to try to find your avatar hidden in there...just like Waldo!).

Considering that my scoot is sticker-bombed in Star Trek, Mass Effect, and Firefly decals, I think I was already at least Deputy Mayor or at least on the city council of Dorkville.

Happy Hunting,

Mike