New PCX150 owner......love it...but need info please

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Hasbro
Year: 2015
Color: black

Re: New PCX150 owner......love it...but need info please

Post by Hasbro »

Lanesplitter wrote:[quote=

I have a full face helmet, so I don't know what the wind feels like without at normal operating speeds. My windscreen experience is that you will need a tall screen, at least, if you want to kill the wind in the face and the wind noise. I'm 5'8", I tried a National Cycle short screen hoping to be able to duck below it at high speeds to get out of the wind. That works, but wind noise around the helmet increased substantially. I don't think the medium would be tall enough to kill it, based on similar "ducking and testing."

I've got a v-strom 650 and the stock screen puts a huge amount of roaring noise around my helmet. I took it off. Much better. But I don't mind the general feeling of wind on my chest and head, just dislike the roaring noise the too short screens created.

Does a full face helmet with shield kill some of the wind noise if the helmet is a snug fit? I've been browsing the helmet pages and the choices are over whelming. The one I have currently is a round one and not very expensive, (I like that), but I hear the more expensive ones are shaped more oblong or whatever the term would be and they offer what advantage?

I can't believe the many choices that are out there. Anyone have a particular brand favorite and why?

Off to do more R&D.

Loren
Wingscribe
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016
Color: Steel Grey

Post by Wingscribe »

Hasbro wrote: If you get a sculpted seat of some sort, does it sit lower than the stock seat? I am 5'9" and while I can almost put my foot flat on the ground while stopped, (not really an issue), if the seat allowed me to sit a bit lower, that would kill some of the wind issue, right?
I never measures either of the replacement seats, but I can tell you that my helmet (Bell Bullitt - Large) no longer fits in the underseat storage with either one installed (I have a top case, so this is a non-issue for me).

Both seats lowered the position slightly (once again, never measured so this is literal Seat of Pants assessment going on). I had already installed the extender before the seats were ordered.

Clear as mud? Sure thing, that's what I'm here for,

Mike
Hasbro

Post by Hasbro »

Jge64 wrote:See my post about my mods in my sig, lots of seats, windshields and body parts. I like bikerzbits.com

Glen, which shipping service did you use from bikerzbits? About how much to ship a seat?
Thank you,
Loren
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

I used their post system , was not much 15 bucks I think took 6 weeks
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Hasbro

Post by Hasbro »

Jge64 wrote:I used their post system , was not much 15 bucks I think took 6 weeks
Thanks Glen,

I'm just about to pull the trigger on the shocks, and a new seat #18.

What do you think about a matt black plastic set..........? https://bikerzbits.com/honda-pcx-matte- ... astic.html

I wonder if it would scuff easily and show dirt more readily? Was kind of thinking about a totally different look?

Also, what are the Dr Pulley sliders and function?

Thanks,
Loren
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

The black stuff is just new plastic, no more , too much A PIA for me to change.

As I have said , search sliders here...changing them gets you better acceleration if you choose lower weight. See the DIY section for the how tos.....
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Our seats are lower and this does cause a problem with storage of the helmet. We bought tailboxes to solve that problem too. With a custom seat you shouldn't have a problem with touching the ground. The tall Givi windshield will take care of wind. Don't buy a helmet just to cut down wind noise. Buy it because you want comfort and protection. I use a 3/4 helmet but a full helmet would protect better. However, I felt like I had blinders on with the full helmet.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Hasbro

Post by Hasbro »

Mel46 wrote:Our seats are lower and this does cause a problem with storage of the helmet. We bought tailboxes to solve that problem too. With a custom seat you shouldn't have a problem with touching the ground. The tall Givi windshield will take care of wind.
Mel,
I don't plan to buy a tailbox to store my helmet, so will just use the one on the underside of the seat. And I am going to order the #18 seat from Bikerzbits. I will also order the Givi windshield, and will likely cut it down a bit. I only need about 2 more inches of height to cut the wind in my face.

This is becoming quite a fact finding adventure. Another item just crossed my mind. Years ago i acquired a wonderful pair of leather driving gloves that fit like a second skin, looked super and were not thick or bulky. I guess you would call them summer riding gloves. Well, those gloves are long gone and I've searched local stores and don't find anything near to what I once had.
Looking at gloves on line is rather frustrating since you can't actually get an accurate picture of how they will look. Anyone have a good source for summer riding gloves, velcro for closing them up, preferably without the knuckle opening in the back.

Loren
Wingscribe
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016
Color: Steel Grey

Post by Wingscribe »

Hasbro,

Just a note, the link you listed for the body panels is for the earlier version PCX150 (see the seat hump?). They made the matte black for the 2015 and up models, but it will cost you another C-note to get them.

I'd hate for you to get a set of panels that don't fit.

Have fun kitting out your scoot, it's half the fun (the other half is riding the hell out of it!).

Mike
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

No big deal if the helmet doesn't fit under the seat. The helmet hook and bit of wire thing works just fine, and a plastic bag over your helmet if rain is threatened keeps it dry enough. My S&S doesn't fit under the stock seat - I have been a "helmet outside" guy for three years.

But the helmet is not as hi-viz as it used to be.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
Hasbro

Post by Hasbro »

Wingscribe wrote:Hasbro,

Just a note, the link you listed for the body panels is for the earlier version PCX150 (see the seat hump?). They made the matte black for the 2015 and up models, but it will cost you another C-note to get them.

I'd hate for you to get a set of panels that don't fit.

Have fun kitting out your scoot, it's half the fun (the other half is riding the hell out of it!).

Mike
Mike, My bike is the 2015 so the black would work, but it would actually take 2+ C notes to outfit it. I'm not so interested in bling as they call it as I am in performance as my main goal. I just dropped the bike off at the Honda shop an hour ago for its first check up. My brother gave me a lift home and I told him he needed to have more fun in his life and to get a 150 also.

These things are definitely a hoot to drive.

Loren
Ishkabibble
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by Ishkabibble »

Hasbro wrote:
These things are definitely a hoot to drive.
Understatement of the Decade
I found something to put here.
Add yourself to the PCX-Forza Owner's Map!
Go here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ULV6Ib-uKsjMpWaPzPwAXmfB7vU&usp=sharing
For instructions how to add yourself go here: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6437#p88888

Be sure to add your Model, year, color, and name if your scoot has one!
Lanesplitter
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by Lanesplitter »

Hasbro wrote:

Does a full face helmet with shield kill some of the wind noise if the helmet is a snug fit? I've been browsing the helmet pages and the choices are over whelming. The one I have currently is a round one and not very expensive, (I like that), but I hear the more expensive ones are shaped more oblong or whatever the term would be and they offer what advantage?

I can't believe the many choices that are out there. Anyone have a particular brand favorite and why?

Off to do more R&D.

Loren
I wear a small helmet. Full face. I suppose it kills some wind noise. Mine kills the buffeting feel, but the roar was still around the head.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Different helmet shapes fit different head shapes.
Watch pros talking how to get proper fit or trust your salesman.
Buy the best full face helmet you can afford after wearing it for 20 mins around the store.
Hurts in the store? will drive you mad on road.
Darn near every brand fits differently. ...don't buy without trial wearing time.
Video pros do good job showing you how it should fit.
Protect only as much of your head and face as you'd like to keep...no more or less.
Fish
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Lanesplitter wrote:
Hasbro wrote:

Off to do more R&D.

Loren
I wear a small helmet. Full face. I suppose it kills some wind noise. Mine kills the buffeting feel, but the roar was still around the head.
Earplugs
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

The information video here is worth a watch: http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/content/how-fit-your-helmet

Also lots of info regarding how good each helmet is, check the ratings.
Price is no guarantee of safety, some cheap helmets significantly outperform some top brand high price ones.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Hasbro

Post by Hasbro »

fish wrote:Different helmet shapes fit different head shapes.
Watch pros talking how to get proper fit or trust your salesman.
Buy the best full face helmet you can afford after wearing it for 20 mins around the store.
Hurts in the store? will drive you mad on road.
Darn near every brand fits differently. ...don't buy without trial wearing time.
Video pros do good job showing you how it should fit.
Protect only as much of your head and face as you'd like to keep...no more or less.
Fish
Well, I certainly can't argue with your advice.. I thank all those who are chipping in and giving advice and hints.

Getting ready to buy some more pieces.......won't make it go faster, but I will like the ride. ;)
Hasbro

Post by Hasbro »

Well, here is a bummer for me. I ordered the nice shocks from Bikerbitz that Glen had put on his bike. I get an email the other day from Heiko from Bikerbitz telling me that the postal system will no longer send shocks through the mail and I will have to use Fedex that will cost me $100 for a pair of $68 shocks. I don't think so. I guess maybe the postal system thinks the shocks may blow up or something like that?

So......does anyone have a suggestion for some better shocks than stock that can be purchased without taking out a second mortgage on my home? I would like a smoother ride, but not for an extra C note. :o(
mrgizmow
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by mrgizmow »

I'm 6'2" and purchased a National extra tall windshield and the high-tech trim molding that runs $15 per foot (ouch). The wind blast moved up but still hit me in the face/eyes. Of course with my helmet shield down this issue is addressed but when riding under 40mph I prefer having the helmet shield up/open. It just so happened that when I was dealing with the windshield issues I was also shopping for a new grinding shield as the drop 'hinge' on the one I had been using for the last 15 years gave out. As I was disassembling the broken shield I was left with the feeling that the lens portion had potential in raising the height of my National windshield. With just a bit of shopping I found a good quality grinding head shield runs about $25 and uses a polycarbonate shield/lens that is the same width as the National shield on the scooter. I purchased a new one, put my old lens in the new head harness and used the new polycarbonate lens to increase the height of my National shield and additional inch and a half. Problem solved. I refer to my modding style as 'backyard simple' and I realize not everyone feels comfortable with that approach. Had to carefully drill 4 holes in the National Shield to mate the two. Not sure I would have tried this mod if my shield was acrylic for fear of cracking. Buying just the clear polycarb lens online would run about half what I paid, but then there is shipping. Yes, you can see the overlap and for the astute, it is clear what you have done, but it really does not look silly, or sloppy. It turned my $175 wind still in my face purchase into a real windshield. Will try to take and post a picture tomorrow. Take care.
Hasbro

Post by Hasbro »

Thanks for writing and sharing what you did. I have been mulling over just exactly what to do myself and I have purchased a piece of polycarbonate to cut out a shield extension piece and temporarily attach it to my existing Honda extended shield and experiment with how much additional height I need to kill the wind. BTW, if I haven't already stated so, I think the Honda extended shield, while good looking is way over priced. Kind of like the Pendleton wool shirts you can buy, they are excellent quality, but you are also paying for an established nationally recognized brand name.

If I thought I had any influence with Honda I'd suggest they make a shield about 2-3" higher than their extended one. For me at 5'9" that would solve the wind issue. I may get the shield cut out today and work on attaching it temporarily. I just need to make sure it doesn't come off at 50 mph and decapitate yours truly.

I have also purchased some additional items from Bikerbitz and will share pictures and experience when I get a little more time.

Do post some pictures to show your handy work.

Talk later,
Hasbro....aka Loren

PS What part of Northern California are you from? It would be great to bike together someday, but I don't want to travel I-5.....Oregon drivers going South are still zooming along about 75 and our bikes just won't quite keep up with the madness. :o)