Helmets are for pussies

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Helmets are for pussies

Post by flyingzonker »

Administrative edit: Removed the direct embedding per request. Warning, graphic content:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3VJXRSIcKc
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Helmets are for pussies

Post by flyingzonker »

I watch this kind of video--I have watched a lot of crash vids--because, seems to me, it is an economical way to learn what not to do. The above video, while it may be preaching to the choir at this site, is one that I would have every bicycle, scooter and motorcycle rider watch at least once (a year).

I have learned to love helmets the hard way. Maybe, after all, that is the only way to get it.

I have very little passion left in this old carcass of mine, not even sex and food move me much anymore. But I still love riding--and I'm still passionate about my bright yellow high-viz full face motorcycle helmet.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

flyingzonker wrote:I watch this kind of video--I have watched a lot of crash vids--because, seems to me, it is an economical way to learn what not to do. The above video, while it may be preaching to the choir at this site, is one that I would have every bicycle, scooter and motorcycle rider watch at least once (a year).

I have learned to love helmets the hard way. Maybe, after all, that is the only way to get it.

I have very little passion left in this old carcass of mine, not even sex and food move me much anymore. But I still love riding--and I'm still passionate about my bright yellow high-viz full face motorcycle helmet.

Avoid the videos, not really much to be learned.
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

you you wrote:

Yeah...one of the rare times I think I agrees with 2U's. If you can't learn by someone telling you, if you're that convinced of your own invincibility...well, a video isn't likely to make a difference. Heck, they've been showing kids pictures of blackened lungs in biology textbooks and videos for over 40 years and people still smoke. Odd thing about humanity, we tend to be unwilling to believe that the bad thing that happened to someone else will happen to us.

So, for myself, I'm already convinced of the need for a helmet, I'll pass on watching something that will give me nightmares.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I have been to several states that have no helmet law, and we all know that smoking is bad for you, but I can't count the number of helmetless riders I have seen who were smoking while riding. I guess we are talking to the wind sometimes. But then, it wouldn't be Darwin's Theory if there weren't some out there at all times trying to prove him wrong. Let's see a show of hands for all of those who were not injuried while crashing at 60 mph, without a helmet. Hmmm. Well, did you learn Anything? Would you like to show us some tricks on your sport bike at, oh say 120 mph, without a Helmet? Go ahead, show us that Darwin is wrong.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Meow :lol:
Seriously lids matter if your brain means anything to you. Try living without it. I forget stuff already and mines intact.
I should be scared but you gyz keep me sane :roll: :? :lol:
(in-sane) < ahh, that's better, home sweet home.
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
gagazman
Year: 2016
Color: PCX Black

Post by gagazman »

I haven't watched the video as I have stopped watching 'crash vids' with being a new rider and all. However I am so pleased that helmets are compulsory here in the UK. I am sure their would be more reports of casualties if there weren't.

I love my black and hi-viz helmet. Yes, not 100% hi -viz, but visible all the same, AND it may just save my life one day!!
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

you you wrote:

On the contrary, there is a lot to learn there. At any rate I feel I have somehow osmotically learned things from crash vids that I could have only learned one other place-namely, my own crashes.
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

honkerman wrote: Yeah...one of the rare times I think I agrees with 2U's. If you can't learn by someone telling you, if you're that convinced of your own invincibility...well, a video isn't likely to make a difference. Heck, they've been showing kids pictures of blackened lungs in biology textbooks and videos for over 40 years and people still smoke. Odd thing about humanity, we tend to be unwilling to believe that the bad thing that happened to someone else will happen to us.

So, for myself, I'm already convinced of the need for a helmet, I'll pass on watching something that will give me nightmares.
I can remember vividly a movie we were shown in school of the aftermath of automobile crashes. Nothing was left to the imagination. It made a big impression on me. From that day I knew cars were not like teddy bears. Cars were like real bears. I can't help thinking I was a better driver for that knowledge.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

From the image on the video screen, I can't bring myself to watch the video .... weak stomach I guess.

Nonetheless, I have heard it said that typically, the shock factor tends to soften after about 3 weeks. For example, a number of years ago (about 30) I saw the results of a fatal accident which would have been quite minor had the deceased person been wearing a seat belt. The vehicle had spun around when hit as it passed through an intersection and the passenger door popped open. The passenger was ejected and struck his head on a utility pole, killing him instantly. I happened to not be wearing my seat belt because I was just going 2 blocks to the local convenience store. I remember thinking that I should always wear my seat belt, and started to do so immediately. But within a month I got back into the old habit of not wearing to go around the corner. The shock factor had worn off. Fortunately I have since corrected that bad habit and always wear a seat belt now.

Similarly, even though I know the importance of a helmet, I rarely wear one when I take my PCX to the shop at the top of my small street (400 meters/yards away). I always wear a helmet beyond that, but not typically when just going to the top of the street. As well, I typically ride without any protective gear beyond a helmet because it is so hot here. I know that it is risky, but I sense that there is a little bit of a feeling that it won't be me, it will be the other guy when it comes to thinking something bad might happen to us.

I know that this is foolish thinking (or lack of thinking) on my part, but somehow I can't break the habit, though I suspect when I get a motorcycle in the US, it will be different because the environment and the culture are much different as well.

Okay, fellow members, go ahead and tell me how dumb I am. :o o_O :lol:
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

kramnala58 wrote: Okay, fellow members, go ahead and tell me how dumb I am. :o o_O :lol:
Well, since you are giving me permission...

As to the story you tell of the accident you saw and how soon the effect wore off. I can relate. I once made what is called a Hollywood stop at a two way stop intersection and then continued on. When I had gone through and before I drove on, for some reason I looked in my rear view mirror and saw something that astonished me--a motorcycle and rider had risen out of the pavement, like Jack's beanstalk out of the earth! It took me a few seconds to shake this impression and realize--to my horror--that this guy had fallen off his bike and I was somehow implicated in that fact.
'What had happened was this: I had made a perfunctory stop and given a perfunctiory look at the road and then continued on. I had absolutely seen no vehicles approaching .Meanwhile this rider was coming on at too high a speed to safely stop his bike. He highsided and lost his helmet--it was not strapped on--and injured himself badly.
When I realized what had happened, I got out of my car and went back toward the scene of the accident. There was already a bunch of people there--it was a residential area. I stood frozen in grizzly horror watching this guy get to his feet and stagger off toward the curb. I'll never forget his face--it was purple. I was sure he was going to die.
To make a long story short, he didn't. He was in the hospital for a couple of weeks and I was given a traffic ticket and nothing more.
And yet, sometimes I find myself Hollywood stopping!
Someday, I think, someone will fix it so I settle up with this guy. So be it.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

flyingzonker wrote:
kramnala58 wrote: Okay, fellow members, go ahead and tell me how dumb I am. :o o_O :lol:
Well, since you are giving me permission...

As to the story you tell of the accident you saw and how soon the effect wore off. I can relate. I once made what is called a Hollywood stop at a two way stop intersection and then continued on. When I had gone through and before I drove on, for some reason I looked in my rear view mirror and saw something that astonished me--a motorcycle and rider had risen out of the pavement, like Jack's beanstalk out of the earth! It took me a few seconds to shake this impression and realize--to my horror--that this guy had fallen off his bike and I was somehow implicated in that fact.
'What had happened was this: I had made a perfunctory stop and given a perfunctiory look at the road and then continued on. I had absolutely seen no vehicles approaching .Meanwhile this rider was coming on at too high a speed to safely stop his bike. He highsided and lost his helmet--it was not strapped on--and injured himself badly.
When I realized what had happened, I got out of my car and went back toward the scene of the accident. There was already a bunch of people there--it was a residential area. I stood frozen in grizzly horror watching this guy get to his feet and stagger off toward the curb. I'll never forget his face--it was purple. I was sure he was going to die.
To make a long story short, he didn't. He was in the hospital for a couple of weeks and I was given a traffic ticket and nothing more.
And yet, sometimes I find myself Hollywood stopping!
Someday, I think, someone will fix it so I settle up with this guy. So be it.

What's a Hollywood stop?
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

you you wrote: What's a Hollywood stop?
A term used to describe an incomplete stop of a vehicle, usually at a stop sign.
zone23
Year: 2015
Color: Silver

Post by zone23 »

flyingzonker wrote:
A term used to describe an incomplete stop of a vehicle, usually at a stop sign.
I thought it was California stop?
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

zone23 wrote:
flyingzonker wrote:
I thought it was California stop?
As they say in Thailand .... Same, same, only different. ;)
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

flyingzonker wrote:
I can see that on google but does it mean that the vehicle didn't actually totally stop or does it mean it crossed any stop signs or lines!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Sometimes the Hollywood stop is called a California Stop, or a rolling stop. The driver does not fully stop, or they stop for a second...closer to a Yield than a Stop.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:Sometimes the Hollywood stop is called a California Stop, or a rolling stop. The driver does not fully stop, or they stop for a second...closer to a Yield than a Stop.

Aaahaaa. Got it cheers