UK PCX insurance - any good insurers out there

Anything and everything not related to anything else on this site.

Moderator: Modsquad

iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

UK PCX insurance - any good insurers out there

Post by iceman »

I've been with Principal for 2 years with the 3rd just about to start, and they were the cheapest with a good reputation but now the renewal has gone up more than %50 with no claims. Not a huge amount of money anyway as I'm only 3rd party but the principal of going up so much when I have another years no claim (only CBT licence) is annoying. I thought it would go up a bit as is usual practice but not over %50 when I've not made a claim (or 14+ years before driving a car).

I thought I would try Bennetts, Devitt, etc, but it seems they both get a mix of some good and many awful reviews from customers (searching google).

So, any recommendations?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: UK PCX insurance - any good insurers out there

Post by gn2 »

I always go with the cheapest after a look on a few comparison sites, meerkats, confused, moneysavingexpert etc.
Last time round for me Wicked Quotes was the cheapest.
Renewals tend to be fraught with danger, excesses pushed up, additional renewal fees etc, so always shop around.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Robbie
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2011
Color: Grey

Post by Robbie »

Current insurer (Bennetts) want £160 for my PCX fully comprehensive (which is due next week). Hastings Direct coming out at £97. That's from the meerkat site - Hastings are £107 if I go direct to their website.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Third party only is £152 this year from Principal whereas last year it was just under £100 - earn another years no claims, pay over %50 more - great! Cheapest I can get is about £130 - this is declaring Datatag only (no locks although I use them), kept on drive at home, and a safe driver (2 years bike and 14 car).
CBT, 2yr's and outer London does not help.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

TPF&T often isn't much cheaper, I've seen instances of it costing more.
Used to be that TPF&T didn't accrue no claims, maybe thet has changed.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Response5
Year: 2016
Color: Black

Post by Response5 »

Lexham is an good and cheap insurer. Use thebikeinsurer for really cheap quotes they are a comparison site and will beat any other quotes.
Thanks
Response5
Voluntary First Aider in the UK
gagazman
Year: 2016
Color: PCX Black

Post by gagazman »

I am with Lexham, cost me nearly £350 quid for the year fully comprehensive, £350 compulsory excess. I have driving experience of 24 years but just began riding with a CBT and no experience. Not sure if this is normal but had to accept it as it was the lowest. TPF&T was mega cheap at less than £100 but I want to play safe with having a new bike, and being a new rider!
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

But, if you had an accident or suffered minor damage or replacement parts to the engine, most times it will still be cheaper paying to repair things yourself than paying for higher insurance and excess per year.