Honda CB500X

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

txpcx13
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 13&14
Color: Rojox2

Honda CB500X

Post by txpcx13 »

Just wanted to throw this topic out there for some clean and happy discussion : ) I love my 2013 PCX 150 and I am going to keep it until it doesnt want me anymore, but I have been in search of a second scoot/bike that will be useful for longer distance and higher sustained speeds.
Here is a list of sccots and bikes that I have researched to death......
Honda Forza
Yamaha TMAX
Piaggio Bev350
Honda NC700
Honda Interceptor
Honda CB500/R-F-R
and a few others
After a few months of research and dreaming I have found that the Honda CB500X is the best of the bunch for MPG, top speed, price, reliability, available accessories, driving comfort......
The Honda CB500X seems like a great bike for everything the PCX cant do. I was trying to my hardest to get another scooter or DSG similar to a scoot but the 500X just makes perfect sense for my needs.
2013 Honda PCX (Red) - NCY 13g rollers, golden variator, drive face, YSS shocks, Givi E450
2014 Honda Forza (Red) - Adige 17g rollers, Kappa K466
Lanesplitter
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Re: Honda CB500X

Post by Lanesplitter »

Did you look at the V-Strom 650? I just bought one for the same reasons, though I feel a little bad. The PCX is great and maneuverable and really fast, for 150cc. I've taken it on some rough roads and maybe the crack in the right rear fairing is from one of the spills it took earlier this year, but I feel like maybe the topcase bouncing on the rough roads hasn't helped. The V-Strom is amazing on crappy roads. The low-end torque is terrific. Very smooth. Wind screen sucks and I've got a stupendous roar of wind when riding above 45mph. I'll be trying shorter screens or something. If you look at these bikes, get a 2012 or later model. Better suspension, some engine tweaking, better gas mileage. Yesterday, I clocked 65mpg for 278 miles. Average speeds were low, because the roads are twisty and the group is mellow. 5.3 gallon tank! Lots of aftermarket stuff available.

I liked the NC700, but the gas tank is too small. One guy I know says he gets about 210 miles per tank. I was interested in the CBR500R, but not many available used here, and the insurance was crazy. A lot of owners must crash. :-)

Sharing two photos of my new ride. I'm keeping the scooter for now. Better for my four mile commute to work. But my parking space in the condo garage is getting crowded.
Attachments
wee.jpg
wee.jpg (134.68 KiB) Viewed 3131 times
DSCN5433.jpg
DSCN5433.jpg (303.75 KiB) Viewed 3131 times
ScooterAddict
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by ScooterAddict »

Out of the 6 bikes that you listed the Honda CB500x and possibly the Yamaha Tmax. I have 4 different bikes now. I enjoy riding all of them depending on the ride and distance. If I were to get a CB500x or a Kawasaki KLR650 I think I would also have to have a roomy transcontinental pavement burner. I'm talking about a bike over 1000cc or more. Now that I will be turning 60yrs old this year I look at 2wheelers totally different than when I was younger. Fuel economy, ease of maintenance, availability of aftermarket farkles and parts play in my decision more than ever. After owning about 45 different m/c's in my life I have figured out that you cannot find the ultimate single bike that will satisfy your riding needs. I love a smaller motorcycle for around town and small tight country roads. But if I'm going to be long distance 500-1000mi a day, I would like a big bike. I rode a 1982 Honda GL500 Interstate for 58,000mi cross country and all points in between. Did 2 back to back 1000mi days so I know you can go anywhere on any scoot if you are determined. Now I would need a serious bike to do that now. I did 326mi on my PCX150 couple of weeks ago. This was over the course of a whole day. Probably could have done 425-450mi a day and wake up the next day to do it again.

Now that you have a view into my motorcycle mentality I have to say my top pick on that list would be a 2016 Honda CB500x ABS. I know you could ride it as fast as you could get away with all day long, day after day and still have Honda reliability. I know fuel mileage can be between 60-80mpg on that Honda. Don't be afraid to put money into it on useful parts that make it more comfortable before wasting money only on useless upgrades.

CAUTION: The opinion of this motorcyclist is not certified in this field of expertise! Always consult your
inner self !
2013 PCX150, GIVI tall w/s, Hondaline topcase, Tusk 15mm handlebar risers, NCY Variator, NCY Drive Face, NCY 13gram rollers. (I put a brand new Honda OEM belt on), R- Michelin City Grip, Front- Michelin City Grip, 10w30 syn with 2oz of MotorKote, GrabOn grip covers.

2013 Honda CRF250L
2-2005 Honda Metropolitan's,
I have always had big displacement road bikes. I'm now into the "small revolution."
I just need one more 2 wheeler!!
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Post by Oyabun »

txpcx13 wrote:Just wanted to throw this topic out there for some clean and happy discussion : ) I love my 2013 PCX 150 and I am going to keep it until it doesnt want me anymore, but I have been in search of a second scoot/bike that will be useful for longer distance and higher sustained speeds.
Here is a list of sccots and bikes that I have researched to death......
Honda Forza
Yamaha TMAX
Piaggio Bev350
Honda NC700
Honda Interceptor
Honda CB500/R-F-R
and a few others
After a few months of research and dreaming I have found that the Honda CB500X is the best of the bunch for MPG, top speed, price, reliability, available accessories, driving comfort......
The Honda CB500X seems like a great bike for everything the PCX cant do. I was trying to my hardest to get another scooter or DSG similar to a scoot but the 500X just makes perfect sense for my needs.
+1 got to the same conclusion. All my friends are riding large BMWs for touring but I can't think of meself on those and the 500x seems to be a very sensible solution. As this year I'm very occupied and have no time to leave on the weekends (working on my MBA is is quite demanding on my weekends and on my free ones I have obligations to my kids) I'm planning to get one for next summer's riding season.
The way I am I cannot stand riding anything being stck so I already have plans to improve 500x. Actually I wanted to buy an already upgraded one with an RRP LV3 kit from the UK but the seller sold it to someone local.
I already have collected a few stuff (PCV, wideband O2 controller, suspension upgrade parts and plans) even though I don't have the bike itself yet.
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

The TMAX would be my choice--at least if I were looking for a displacement similar to the CB500. Reasons? Two: 1) Lots of storage 2) CVT trans. The mpg is probably not as good as the Honda, however, and that is a potent downside, I admit.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

If you're buying a CB500 get a recent one.
The early ones had problems with oil loss due to a design flaw in the cylinder head.
Its the Thailand effect, just about every Thai manufactured Honda has had problems, Honda reliability is a myth.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

No interest in the Kawasaki Vulcan 650 S? A good choice if you like the legs forward riding position of a scooter.
You can chuck some panniers on those for heaps of storage while still keeping the CG low.

Out of the bigger scoots, the Tmax interests me the most. It's not a barge, has decent power, and not designed for grandpa.
Although the Beverley has very good power to weight, it looks like a girl's scooter...

I like the CB500 as a cheap option. I think the X has a substantial price hike down this way, so I've never really considered it.
Geoffers
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Matt Black

Post by Geoffers »

I had a Kawasaki ER6 for several years. 650cc, capable of motorway speeds all day long, reasonably upright riding position, fairing or naked versions available... good all round bike for those on a budget.
txpcx13
Regular User
Regular User

Post by txpcx13 »

Here is the CB500X that I am interested in.
Attachments
Screenshot_20160703-213820~4.png
Screenshot_20160703-213820~4.png (1.05 MiB) Viewed 3036 times
2013 Honda PCX (Red) - NCY 13g rollers, golden variator, drive face, YSS shocks, Givi E450
txpcx13
Regular User
Regular User

Post by txpcx13 »

A little more detail why I am leaning towards this as a second bike.
Low cost insurance.
I found it for $4,000 NEW (2014 model and $5,100 after all fees and tax)
65MPG (from fuelly) and a 4+ gallon gas tank
Riding Position

I have done so much research reading, watching videos, etc.... and the 1 thing that I dont like about this bike is the 6speed manual doesn't have have a gear indicator(although the R and F do).
The other bikes mentioned are great bikes, but I am trying to stay away from too large CC bikes for most of the reasons stated above.
I want something as close to the PCX as possible but that can go longer and 70-80 MPH when needed without straining itself.
The TMAX was my 2nd choice but the Price and MPG are the big things keeping me away although it does have other benefits(under seat storage, 12V charging, automatic tranny)

: )
Lanesplitter
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Lanesplitter »

The NC700 isn't a huge cc engine and it's cruiser-ish design probably keeps it's insurance costs low. The small gas tank is the main killer for me with it. Get the CTX and you don't need a gear indicator. That would be the closet thing to the PCX.

Otherwise, 650 V-Strom isn't the same thing as 650 sport bike for insurance purposes. 2012- models include gear indicator. excellent gas mileage, huge tank. The gear indicator is nice, but really not necessary. So get the 500X. :-)
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019

Post by Alibally »

You get storage on the NC700 though. No need for rucksacks or boxes.
txpcx13
Regular User
Regular User

Post by txpcx13 »

We are lucky to have so many great bikes to choose from..... that is for sure. If/when I pick up the bike I will post some pics and thoughts. I respect and like to hear other peoples dream second bike to go along with the PCX, so keep it coming.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

I have several dream bikes, here's a few...

Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:I have several dream bikes, here's a few...

Oh yes
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:I have several dream bikes, here's a few...

Oh yes
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by DAB »

My favorite other
Attachments
MT-01a.JPG
MT-01a.JPG (331.86 KiB) Viewed 2975 times
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

That is nice
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by GatorGreg »

txpcx13 wrote:Here is the CB500X that I am interested in.
I approve - looks great! One of my local dealers has this beauty in their showroom - I think the brown paint looks awesome:
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (314.6 KiB) Viewed 2937 times
2018 Yamaha SMAX Raven Black (aka Majesty S)
RIP 2015 Honda PCX 150 Pearl White
RIP 2010 Honda Elite (Lead) 110 Black
Check out GatorGreg's Motovlog on YouTube
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

txpcx13 wrote:Here is the CB500X that I am interested in.
Son has the same bike.
He added a white front fender to go with the rest of the bike (oem Honda panels surprisingly cheap!)....plus it makes him a bit more visible from the front.
Also added Yoshimura exhaust (for a nice rumble but not stupid loud) and Yoshi sliders, OEM center stand, reflective Honda 500X Logo'd wheel trim, fender hugger, Givi small screen which he really likes as it collects a LOT of bugs for him, and a halogen pulsing brake light bulb (very much brighter than LED)

He loves the upright riding position, ergos with bars vs seat comfort for long rides - while all his buddies have to do that one-handed riding thing so commonly seen due to the superbly uncomfortable "sport" bikes they mistakenly purchased! (great riding position for racing - lousy for the other 90% of riding)

He loves it - and it has been a bullet proof bike for him.
Sorry don't have a better picture of it - he's always riding it!
Fish