Cell phone mount?

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

Wingscribe
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016
Color: Steel Grey

Re: Cell phone mount?

Post by Wingscribe »

Mel,

Good to know...not something I want to test myself.

Sorry about the accident, but glad to hear the mount performed well...

Mike
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Another, called the "Velocity Clip."
It may take up more room on our bars than we'd like, but it's a pretty awesome and diversified device.
Take a watch:

Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
axeltow
Color: Black

Post by axeltow »

My latest obsession is AliExpress. I'm ordering all sorts of crap from there.

I bought this bike stand that doesn't look bad...prolly wont survive a fall but for the price it looks decent.
Can't say anything yet as I am waiting for delivery:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Univers ... .95.OeMyQP
axeltow

Post by axeltow »

Just fiy i managed to brake the aforementioned holder after twisting the 360 rotation screw too much. Part my fault part the products as it was too loose and the phone would giggle. Ordered a different type

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

axeltow wrote:Just fiy i managed to brake the aforementioned holder after twisting the 360 rotation screw too much. Part my fault part the products as it was too loose and the phone would giggle. Ordered a different type

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've had 2 cheapies similar, if not the same as that off eBay that I used on my bicycles. I got 3 weeks out of the better of the two.
Both just broke off in the same place while I was riding. One of them waiting at lights, the other while I was riding down a hill.
I have a phone cover, so my phone was OK. But I doubt it would be the same thing when falling at speed from a scooter or motorbike.
My suggestion is (if you value your phone...) to spend up big on the RAM Mounts X-Grip of your choice. I've got the RAM-HOL-UN7-400U.
axeltow

Post by axeltow »

So complicated with these bases...but I think I chose the U base.

Thanks. I will check the crappy one first and might get the RAM for Xmas gift :D
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

The u-bolt base comes with a rubber thing to protect your bars, but I prefer the clamp for quick removal - RAM-HOL-UN7-400U.
axeltow

Post by axeltow »

Right, yeah it makes sense. I guess it holds well enough on the bar?

I found them at a Greek reseller but weather its the U grip or the clamp, I'll have to built it myself. Meaning buy all 3 parts separate. Base, the intermediary and the X-grip. Couple of euros more expensive this way but what to do.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Ram mounts are losing cell phones off motorbikes over bumps and potholes in too many bad reviews and they cover phone functions. Velocity clips look good Whitenoise but our handlebars are loaded on PCX and won't accommodate the U-bolt fasteners in the center of the bars where we have space.

What we need is this claw clamp of the Ram product and the holder of the Velocity clip.
RAM Mounts (RAP-B-400U) Small Tough-Claw is the ticket for our bars but I don't want the rest of Rams product :(
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JQ ... PDKIKX0DER

For now I'm going to hold with phone on tank bag until I see the perfect setup for PCX
axeltow

Post by axeltow »

Hmm...I thought you could fit the Ubolt under the center of the bars. I am moaning about the center because I feel its easier to look at a map and a bit more protection.

Bad reviews really? The X-grip ?

Tank bag? Is it a tunnel scooter bag?
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

axeltow wrote: Tank bag? Is it a tunnel scooter bag?
Far from ideal to use a tunnel bag but if you find one with a pouch or zipper up top like mine it works. putting a phone under any plastic windows is crazy hot so no. I modified my tankbag with a mesh material and the phone is low to glance at so not ideal but still waiting to see a perfect mount for PCX.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

axeltow, that item you purchased was obviously full of problems. If you go to your link you will see that they no longer sell it.

I would like to know which of the RAM mounts has been having problems. Mine is really tough and has withstood a lot of abuse. As for RAM-HOL-UN7-400U though, it is a new product of theirs. Mine is made up of individual parts that I ordered one at a time as money was available. Until that time when I had all of the parts I just carried my cellphone in my belt case, which slides onto your belt sideways, so it won't come off. When we had our accident, my wife's phone was on the handlebar in a Ram Mount and it was fine. Mine was in my belt case, under my Tourmaster Sonora jacket. It was fine after I rolled 40 yards down the highway. I used it to take pictures of the accident, and to call our insurance company. I do have a protective cover on the phone...always.
My wife's phone was fine after the accident, and she used hers to call friends to pick us up and take us to the emergency room. I was fine. She had a broken shoulder in 4 places. IF she had been wearing her Tourmaster at the time, I am more than sure that she would have been fine as well. $75,000 worth of surgery later, she has learned. Heat is terrible when you are riding, but broken bones are worse. The nice thing about the Tourmaster is that it is mesh Kevlar.
Sorry for hijacking the thread. In any case, RAM mounts work.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Rickjds
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2020
Color: Candy Luster Re

Post by Rickjds »

chicaboo wrote:The u-bolt base comes with a rubber thing to protect your bars, but I prefer the clamp for quick removal - RAM-HOL-UN7-400U.
Can this clamp fit between the two handle bar bolts in the center?

Rick
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Rickjds wrote:
chicaboo wrote:The u-bolt base comes with a rubber thing to protect your bars, but I prefer the clamp for quick removal - RAM-HOL-UN7-400U.
Can this clamp fit between the two handle bar bolts in the center?

Rick
Yes, but you need to angle the clamp close to parallel to the forks so it clears.
However, there's enough adjustment in the ball joint to rotate the phone towards you.

As an all in one system, I don't think there's much better than it. But I have 2 gripes:
1. They put the logo on crooked. Petty, but disappointing...
2. The way the X-grip works, there is some play about centre.

Still, you can raise the seat without too much interference, and it stays up.
MayHem
Year: 2012
Color: Red

Post by MayHem »

chicaboo, I'm in the process of deciding which ram mount to get. I already have an X-Grip in my car which I will use on the PCX.

How do you think your tough claw would compare to say this type? I saw another post where someone had this type and showed how it can double for a bag hook as opposed to having a separate hook.
img_0401.jpg
img_0401.jpg (116.81 KiB) Viewed 1415 times
2012 PCX150 - Red Sold
2015 PCX150 - White
2015 PCX150 - Red
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

MayHem wrote:chicaboo, I'm in the process of deciding which ram mount to get. I already have an X-Grip in my car which I will use on the PCX.

How do you think your tough claw would compare to say this type? I saw another post where someone had this type and showed how it can double for a bag hook as opposed to having a separate hook.
I think that type of mount might sit lower and give a better view of the speedo, especially with it being off to the side.
But maybe with it sitting lower and of centre it could foul the seat from staying upright? Someone would have to chime in with direct experience.
What i like with the clamp style in the centre is that you can easily put your phone in landscape mode. Maybe even take video of your speed runs? :P
MayHem
Year: 2012
Color: Red

Post by MayHem »

chicaboo wrote:
MayHem wrote:chicaboo, I'm in the process of deciding which ram mount to get. I already have an X-Grip in my car which I will use on the PCX.

I think that type of mount might sit lower and give a better view of the speedo, especially with it being off to the side.
But maybe with it sitting lower and of centre it could foul the seat from staying upright? Someone would have to chime in with direct experience.
What i like with the clamp style in the centre is that you can easily put your phone in landscape mode. Maybe even take video of your speed runs? :P
So the tough claw fits alright between the bar clamps? Did you buy the full kit with the x-grip? The kit appears to have a different style ball (see attached pic) and not the standard 1" smooth ball used in most ram stuff. I wonder if this has enough length on it to clear the bar clamps nicely or better or better to get the tough claw with the normal 1" smooth ball and ram double socket arm extension and standard X-Grip.

Cheers
RAM-HOL-UN7-400UIU2.jpg
RAM-HOL-UN7-400UIU2.jpg (23.57 KiB) Viewed 1400 times
2012 PCX150 - Red Sold
2015 PCX150 - White
2015 PCX150 - Red
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

I don't have any problems with it. It does need to be mounted at about that angle to clear the chrome collar under the bar, though.
I wasn't interested in buying the three separate parts and making something that will likely sit up really high and tall.
Give me a call and pop over after work one day, or I could scoot over on a weekend, and you can see the claw for yourself.
I use it on the bicycle mainly to record my rides, but on the PCX unless I'm GPSing, my phone sits under the seat most of the time...