Like these helmets?

Riding jackets, pants, boots, GPS, toolkits, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: Like these helmets?

Post by homie »

I'm sorry to report I don't reach for my modular helmets these days. They're hot, noisy and heavy. This is my new choice for any bike right now and I want more. If there is a difference in the helmet makers quality and construction you won't find it noticeable by the department of transportation. Therefore I will take a quiet, lightweight sleek looking simple design that has the best visibility and ventilation since it's all the same to the DOT. I'm starting to think helmets are hype and overpriced by industry collaboration. Wouldn't be the first time a (johnny come lately) rouge whistle blowing manufacturer broke away from their industries conspiracy. So yes, I'm the latest WOW helmet fan.

I apologize for this video in advance :lol:

DailyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2017
Color: Dark blue

Post by DailyRider »

I wish my helmet were anything like that cheap. But then again, I tried on a number of cheaper helmets at the store before finally donning the GT-Air (all the while muttering about obscene prices and obscene profits).

Does WOW stand for World of Warcraft?
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

I don't find either of my scorpion modulars to be "heavy hot or noisy". My hair stays dry in Florida heat, it's lighter than the other helmets I have, and I'm running a BT SENA speaker system , so it certainly is not noisy from wind. To each his own.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

DailyRider wrote:I wish my helmet were anything like that cheap. But then again, I tried on a number of cheaper helmets at the store before finally donning the GT-Air (all the while muttering about obscene prices and obscene profits).

Does WOW stand for World of Warcraft?
world or wonder :lol: I road two and a half hours today in 95 degree temps on the expressway in the mystery helmet. You can't tell anymore if stuff is coming from from China or outerspace because Amazon has these superbox warehouses hidden among us here in Chicagoland and popular items are already here. I ordered a second WOW helmet and it landed the next day by a plain white utility van with a tiny little Amazon decal on the side. It's Google and Amazon baby, taking the planet by storm! You might as well hook up and get with the program as it makes life easiest for consumer capitalist pig AMERICA.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Don't buy the cheapest of the cheap, but neither do you need a £300-500 helmet for most journeys whereby a sub £100 will do just as well. The main advantage of more expensive helmets is slightly more comfort and better sound-proofing which is needed for fast and long journeys - not really what a PCX is meant for as it's a commuter and mostly used for such purposes.
In the UK you can buy many £40-90 helmets that have four or five stars out of five for safety, are reviewed as being very comfortable and come with pin-lock inserts and internal sub visor - why spend £500 on a mid range Shoe for commuting!
Obviously for those that travel long distances at or near the top end of the PCX range need something that is quite, but better safety - not true and some £400 helmets get less stars in safety tests than £40 ones.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

DailyRider wrote:
you you wrote:
DailyRider wrote:Yes it's very quiet too, I forgot to say that.

I tried to get a picture of it outside on my scooter, but both visors and the camera lens fogged up immediately.

So instead...
Get a pin lock insert.
It came with one that fits into the face shield, but I haven't tried it yet.
Those Shoei folks never miss a marketing opportunity ;)

Currently it's 33 C (91 F) with severe thunderstorms rolling through the area, so I won't be riding soon.

If it's included how is it a marketing opportunity?
DailyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by DailyRider »

homie wrote:You can't tell anymore if stuff is coming from from China or outerspace because Amazon has these superbox warehouses hidden among us here in Chicagoland and popular items are already here. I ordered a second WOW helmet and it landed the next day by a plain white utility van with a tiny little Amazon decal on the side. It's Google and Amazon baby, taking the planet by storm! You might as well hook up and get with the program as it makes life easiest for consumer capitalist pig AMERICA.
Yes...
I ordered something from a Midwestern vendor on Ebay recently and was surprised when it was delivered by Amazon
and very quickly too, because it came from the local Amazon warehouse.
DailyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by DailyRider »

iceman wrote:Don't buy the cheapest of the cheap, but neither do you need a £300-500 helmet for most journeys whereby a sub £100 will do just as well. The main advantage of more expensive helmets is slightly more comfort and better sound-proofing which is needed for fast and long journeys - not really what a PCX is meant for as it's a commuter and mostly used for such purposes.
In the UK you can buy many £40-90 helmets that have four or five stars out of five for safety, are reviewed as being very comfortable and come with pin-lock inserts and internal sub visor - why spend £500 on a mid range Shoe for commuting!
Obviously for those that travel long distances at or near the top end of the PCX range need something that is quite, but better safety - not true and some £400 helmets get less stars in safety tests than £40 ones.
For me, it's about getting a helmet that's comfortable enough to use daily, under nasty conditions.

Columbia SC is located in a raised bowl that's prone to inversion layers,
so we see a lot of very hot, humid, smoggy weather during our long summers.

...And I'm an old lady who likes to be comfortable.
DailyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by DailyRider »

you you wrote: If it's included how is it a marketing opportunity?
I was assuming that I'd have to buy the inserts as often as I buy face shields, but maybe not,
since I've found a video from Shoei describing how to wash the insert and reinstall it.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

DailyRider wrote:
I was assuming that I'd have to buy the inserts as often as I buy face shields, but maybe not,
since I've found a video from Shoei describing how to wash the insert and reinstall it.

I've never replaced on. No need.

Not cheap so to have one in the box is a bonus
DailyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by DailyRider »

you you wrote:
DailyRider wrote:
I've never replaced on. No need.

Not cheap so to have one in the box is a bonus
Now that I think about it more, the face shield is well-protected from minor damage, as is the visor,
so I probably won't need to replace any of them soon.

I suppose this is a perfect example of "you can pay now or you can pay later"
(Which BTW, was my experience with several cheap helmets--yes they cost less, but not that much less "per use")
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

DailyRider wrote: Now that I think about it more, the face shield is well-protected from minor damage, as is the visor,

(Which BTW, was my experience with several cheap helmets--yes they cost less, but not that much less "per use")

I'm not totally sure what you are saying. Shoei and Arai are top quality but at the end of the day if you don't use them they don't warrant the outlay.

Here's a thought for the flourescent anxious. I've been riding for near forty years now replacing my $500 dollar minimum helmet every three years and never even used them. They've been no more effective than sunblock.

You can get flourescent sunblock.
DailyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by DailyRider »

you you wrote:
DailyRider wrote: Now that I think about it more, the face shield is well-protected from minor damage, as is the visor,

I'm not totally sure what you are saying. Shoei and Arai are top quality but at the end of the day if you don't use them they don't warrant the outlay.

Here's a thought for the flourescent anxious. I've been riding for near forty years now replacing my $500 dollar minimum helmet every three years and never even used them. They've been no more effective than sunblock.

You can get flourescent sunblock.

I'm saying that I use the Shoeis and Arais for 4-5 years (unless they hit the ground hard)
and the cheaper helmets have all gotten tossed in 6 months or less.

And what's all this about fluorescent helmets? Probably folks are just matching them with their fluorescent gear.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

I chose the Bell Revolver EVO modular for my US/Canada scooter ('09 Yamaha Majesty 400).
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (25.98 KiB) Viewed 2408 times
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Nice kram. I never had a Bell and I know they've been around a long time. Some folks are die hard Bell heads and that says something right there.
More importantly, If it fits, wear it! Especially if it has some White in the mix :D
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

I'm convinced that Icon is the leader in helmet graphics. I've always admired their work esp on their Airframe and Airmada's. I had a Dragon years back, bought it oversized (ya Fool!) so I sold it, and it sold fast!

Here are samples of Icon's team artwork. Enjoy!
(My Thanks to motorcyclesuperstore for providing photos ;)
Attachments
2016-icon-alliance-gt-watchkeeper-helmet-black-636009832700744874.jpg
2016-icon-alliance-gt-watchkeeper-helmet-black-636009832700744874.jpg (32 KiB) Viewed 2332 times
2016-icon-alliance-gt-la-bandera-helmet-white-green-red-635894082753790376.jpg
2016-icon-alliance-gt-la-bandera-helmet-white-green-red-635894082753790376.jpg (32 KiB) Viewed 2332 times
2016-icon-airmada-first-responder-helmet-black-635696080451982308.jpg
2016-icon-airmada-first-responder-helmet-black-635696080451982308.jpg (32 KiB) Viewed 2332 times
2016-icon-airmada-doodle-helmet-white-635894040972171196.jpg
2016-icon-airmada-doodle-helmet-white-635894040972171196.jpg (32 KiB) Viewed 2332 times
2016-icon-airframe-pro-pharaoh-helmet-light-blue-635761940692956233.jpg
2016-icon-airframe-pro-pharaoh-helmet-light-blue-635761940692956233.jpg (32 KiB) Viewed 2332 times
2016-icon-airframe-pro-deployed-helmet-camo-green-636068183319143442.jpg
2016-icon-airframe-pro-deployed-helmet-camo-green-636068183319143442.jpg (16 KiB) Viewed 2332 times
2016-icon-airframe-pro-brozak-helmet-mcss.jpg
2016-icon-airframe-pro-brozak-helmet-mcss.jpg (32 KiB) Viewed 2332 times
2015-icon-airmada-lucky-lid-2-helmet-white-635587710337224618.jpg
2015-icon-airmada-lucky-lid-2-helmet-white-635587710337224618.jpg (32 KiB) Viewed 2332 times
2015-icon-airmada-elemental-helmet-red-blue-635430551253800048.jpg
2015-icon-airmada-elemental-helmet-red-blue-635430551253800048.jpg (32 KiB) Viewed 2332 times
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

My £50 helmets (2 off - one one size larger for winter time to fit a lining) have lasted 3 years - both at least 4 star rated and they are relatively clean and work perfectly - only need to change them if you bang them. I did raise the issue of plastics and foam hardening over time but got told that was only for older style helmets and modern ones work fine. They are not good for fast high-way riding as they would let too much noise in but are quite for 30-40 town riding (which most people with PCX spend most of their riding time at). Waste of money spending £500 on a helmet - lots of £150 ones good enough for motorway use with sun-visor and de-mist screen).
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

I think this french company makes a nice pilot helmet
http://www.shark-helmets.com/product.ph ... %20English

also I like these; Bell Rouge's
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/bell ... aQodIWYPYQ
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

Also just picked up a high viz bell Evo revolver, the XL is a tighter fit than other XL helmets I have, just be aware, you can order new bell internal pads off the Revzilla site too
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Jge64 wrote:..... you can order new bell internal pads off the Revzilla site too
Good to know. I will keep it in mind. Thank for posting.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(