National Cycle windscreen install and review

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

Lanesplitter
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: Black

National Cycle windscreen install and review

Post by Lanesplitter »

After reading Ishkabibble's windshield upgrade post, http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6054, I decided to try the short National Cycle screen. At 5'8" I hoped to get the screen low enough to give me decent air cooling, but also a place to tuck behind when it got chilly or on the highway. Following maddiedog's install instructions, http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19, it took me fifteen minutes. Awesome. Looks nice.

I went for a ride. The wind hits me about collarbone height, to high. Wind noise at the helmet is significantly increased. Unpleasant. Tucking behind kills the noise and it's really still. Highway speed dropped from 66-67mph to 64mph slightly downhill. Worse on the flat. I can't afford that loss. All and all, looks like it's coming off. Bummer. I need something just high enough to tuck behind.

Any thoughts on the effects of cutting this down, and how far down? How to know?

Thanks.
20160618_104719.jpg
20160618_104719.jpg (225.14 KiB) Viewed 937 times
Attachments
20160618_104643.jpg
20160618_104643.jpg (154.08 KiB) Viewed 937 times
20160618_101049.jpg
20160618_101049.jpg (166.22 KiB) Viewed 937 times
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red

Re: National Cycle windscreen install and review

Post by j.d.b. »

THAT'S the trade-off. I'm 5-8 and have the TALL version of that National on mine. It's just a little short (about mouth-height), but effective at calming the atmosphere behind it. I gave up 4-5 top-end mph for that. I don't ride the E-way so It's a good trade for me. You'll get your mph's back with the stock "cluster cover" screen. Bummer, indeed, but there it is.
Ishkabibble
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Ishkabibble »

First, thanks for the plug, I think.

It looks to me like you have the mid-sized one as I have, even though I originally wanted the tall. The tall is something like 16.75" while the medium is 14.5" I think the regular "short" one is only 12" or so.

I wouldn't advise cutting it down, but what I would advise is asking whomever you bought it from if they would be willing to do an exchange for the shortest one, and see how that one suits you.

I personally noticed a significant drop in wind noise in my helmet, and a huge reduction in buffeting on my chest and upper arms. I recently rode to visit a friend about 45 miles away, and had to traverse a highway that had a 60mph speed limit. I was able to maintain right at 64-65 mph on this stretch of road for about four miles, until I had to turn off. The car that was expecting to pass me because I was on a moped must have been surprised when I pulled away when the speed limit increased. Put enough distance between us that they couldn't catch up to pass without speeding excessively.

You might try an exchange, as that's what I'd do.

I hope you find something that works for you.
I found something to put here.
Add yourself to the PCX-Forza Owner's Map!
Go here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ULV6Ib-uKsjMpWaPzPwAXmfB7vU&usp=sharing
For instructions how to add yourself go here: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6437#p88888

Be sure to add your Model, year, color, and name if your scoot has one!
Lanesplitter
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Lanesplitter »

My packing slip has the short code on it. Nothing on the screen to tell me. I didn't measure it. Looks short. Probably that's why wind noise has gone up. Taller screen and noise might have gone down. Very quiet tucked behind it, but I need more wind on my chest sometimes as it gets really hot east of me and about 30 degrees cooler by night fall at home. Seemed like a good idea, just didn't work out for me. Maybe I'll use it in the winter.