Should I just stick with premium fuel?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Re: Should I just stick with premium fuel?

Post by WhiteNoise »

Most important, Keep it fresh, your petrol. Sitting petrol looks like shellac and smells off. Just Bad.
You want a full nose of "man that smells like they just filled the tanks!" Ahhh
But Wait! do not buy when the tanker just filled them, sediments are afloat and they're mixing like stirfry. Let em rest. Go back later or find another station....not while it's raining. Avoid moisture. Keep your tanks topped off whenever possible. A ounce or two of seafoam, or sta-bil won't hurt either. Up to you.

Geez, my Pan American Airline Uncle Engineer taught me all this stuff. RIP, I'm living yer words at the station. Catch ya later
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Though it doesn't seem too make that much difference, I run regular most of the time and then once in a while, to clean out the gunk that may be building up in the engine, I add a tank of hight test. The recommendation is regular, lead free, bottom line gas...but from a respected gas station. The scooter does not run well on water, which is what you might get from some of those cheaper than dirt discount gas stations. There are plenty of name brand gas stations out there. Just go with regular from one of them and you should be fine.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

Mel46 wrote:Though it doesn't seem too make that much difference, I run regular most of the time and then once in a while, to clean out the gunk that may be building up in the engine, I add a tank of hight test. The recommendation is regular, lead free, bottom line gas...but from a respected gas station. The scooter does not run well on water, which is what you might get from some of those cheaper than dirt discount gas stations. There are plenty of name brand gas stations out there. Just go with regular from one of them and you should be fine.
I'm a little ocd about this myself. I try to fill up at the same station every time. Not a make or break thing, but it's just what I do.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

In case it hasn't been mentioned, I didn't read or follow this thread... Get fuel from the highest traffic station in town.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote:In case it hasn't been mentioned, I didn't read or follow this thread... Get fuel from the highest traffic station in town.

Why?
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

you you wrote:
homie wrote:In case it hasn't been mentioned, I didn't read or follow this thread... Get fuel from the highest traffic station in town.

Why?
At a station that sells more fuel, The fuel has to be replaced more often and is therefore presumeably kept fresh. This hopefully reduces the amount of time Ethanol fuel has to soak up water.

Heh, saw a tank off a Suzuki Bandit the other day that was completely rusted out inside thanks to the hygroscopic properties of ethanol and no stabilizer in he fuel. Looked like wreckage from a sunken ship. Crazy stuff.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Yes Honky, I don't know that the little Honda engine will notice but the twins burn the highest octane fuel from the freshest pit I can draw from... or I can feel it. My favorite is Shell 93 octane from a very busy intersection for the Buell and I use the recommended 87 octane for the PCX because that's what she was built to burn... and the precious does it so well :)

always listening

Fugu
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016
Color: White

Post by Fugu »

I dont understand why Americans have such ''poor'' quality. Or have i mistaken something?
In Europe, I cant find anything below 95 Octane. And almost none with Ethanol.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Fugu wrote:I dont understand why Americans have such ''poor'' quality. Or have i mistaken something?
Well sometime back we decided to put the farmers in the business of corn for fuel playing havoc with engines and politics. This is a mistake and causes more problems than fixes. New engines are adapting but not older ones very well. All part of the bigger picture of removing old cars and trucks and unfortunately beautiful V-twins off the streets IMO.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Using ethanol in the United States helps us move away from being so dependent on foreign oil, especially OPEC oil. Most of us would be really happy if we could find a way to just not use their oil at all. We are supporting terrorists when we buy their oil. Think about the 9/11 terrorists. The majority of them were Saudi citizens. Those people seem to be angry all the time. If we found an alternative to oil and the world moved away from oil, they would be angry because of that too.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Mel46 wrote:Using ethanol in the United States helps us move away from being so dependent on foreign oil, especially OPEC oil. Most of us would be really happy if we could find a way to just not use their oil at all. We are supporting terrorists when we buy their oil. Think about the 9/11 terrorists. The majority of them were Saudi citizens. Those people seem to be angry all the time. If we found an alternative to oil and the world moved away from oil, they would be angry because of that too.
Mel they are not angry at all! I sure hope someday we come together and understand whats really in the minds of those doing the suicide/killing. So happy are those to please their deity they will leave children to be orphans and send their spouses to prison for 50 years. This is how happy the are, gloriously arriving at their destination at all costs only to find out the translation of virgins is actually grapes. That's right, 72 grapes when in reality not even a hand full of grapes just hell.... i'm good with that :roll:
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Incredible.....
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Fugu wrote:I dont understand why Americans have such ''poor'' quality. Or have i mistaken something?
I read somewhere that in europe, most petrol sold can legally contain up to %10 ethanol without it being stated as an ingredient.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

These are different octane blends, rated with the same method, the US method.

EU ratings are 95/98, which are equivalent to US ratings of 91/93.

So, EU 95 octane = US 91 octane and EU 98 octane = US 93 octane.

Top performance with EU 98 octane = 93 US octane.
Small loss in performance with EU 95 octane = 91 US octane.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Pat Anderson
Year: 2015
Color: white

Post by Pat Anderson »

dkazzed wrote:
In WA State, I believe the only place to get ethanol free is at the marina stations.
Actually, all the Whatcom Farmers Co-op stores sell a mid-grade that is ethanol free. That is where we fuel the scoots and our boat. There are also quite a few other places, but they can be hard to find. There is an iPhone app (probably available for Android as well, but we are iPhone folks) called Pure Gas that uses the GPS to find stations near you (if there are any) that sell ethanol free gas. And some Washington State marinas only sell ethanol gas, e.g., Friday Harbor on San Juan Island and Hilton Harbor (right across from the entrance to Squalicum Marina) in Bellingham.
Pat & Patty Anderson
Birch Bay, WA
Red 2014 Forza 300 ABS (scoot is FOR SALE!)
White 2015 PCX150 (Pat's scoot)
Red 2013 PCX150 (Patty's scoot)
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

It's the same exact quality. It's just a different rating system. Europe uses a different rating system from the US. Google Octane rating systems. It's all out there to be read.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
davepen
Year: 2015

Post by davepen »

I use 87 octane with a little SeaFoam.
Fugu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Fugu »

That explains a lot :-)
Thanks for the answers! There is actually no difference at all then on the Octane then.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Fugu wrote:That explains a lot :-)
Thanks for the answers! There is actually no difference at all then on the Octane then.

No, there's a difference between octanes but it doesn't make any real difference to the PCXs running.
Fugu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Fugu »

you you wrote:
Fugu wrote:That explains a lot :-)

No, there's a difference between octanes but it doesn't make any real difference to the PCXs running.
I've heard that story a thousand times now.
bla bla bla. I see different people, saying different things about Normal or Premium Gas.
Personally I only use the Premium gas, because I can feel the difference. Deal with it. 8)