Holy cupping Batman!

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Re: Holy cupping Batman!

Post by honkerman »

homie wrote:Honkyman OMG! you are a nut!
I'm going to have to add you to the crash list.... AGAIN!
Nah, no more crashing for me. Tbh, the Honda still seems solid enough, and like I said, the Piaggio is functional. It doesn't like the heat very well since it's carbureted (may need to run some fuel treatment through it), but it's functional. I can remove the PCX front tire and take it to school to mount and balance it.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

I can see it from that picture now. In nearly 40 years of riding I've never seen that.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

"I'm melting, melting...."
Seriously, that looks really weird n wavy!
Please...no waving! Hello wave is good. Good-bye is not!
Take no chances. Why should you? New tires are sweet, (minus their hokey pokey break in). What's that again? 100 miles? Can't recall. Oh well, either way, on goes the new! Clap clap with a :)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

honkerman wrote:Here's a shot from the side. You can see the lumps fairly clearly. It's very obvious in person, but unless you really want to take an international flight and come for a visit, that's not going to be possible. :lol:
There's no way I'm paying money to visit the US&A, its full of gun-toting lunatics.
If The Donald and Hilary are the best you can come up with for presidential candidates it seems to me like your country is utterly fucked.

Anywho, in the latest picture the tyre does look a bit odd right enough.
A floor sander, grinder or similar should get those lumps off in no time flat.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
DailyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2017
Color: Dark blue

Post by DailyRider »

My tires were less severe, no way would it have shown up in a picture.

But the mechanic said that once it starts, it just continues to get worse. Although I did try over inflating my tires until the new ones came in and that did (sort of) work.

That was during the hot season here (riding every day at mid 90s and above) and the roads here are worse than in PA.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I was a bit off my game yesterday. Yes, the front should last twice the time the rear does. My bad.
I have never seen a front tire on a scooter do what yours did. I'm trying to determine what would be the best way to prevent this from happening. If you over inflate you could see something like that. If you under inflate you could also get that, but then it should be on the outside. Your tire is way more worn than I have seen on other tires. What in the world have you been doing with that poor little scooter??
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

gn2 wrote:
honkerman wrote:Here's a shot from the side. You can see the lumps fairly clearly. It's very obvious in person, but unless you really want to take an international flight and come for a visit, that's not going to be possible. :lol:
There's no way I'm paying money to visit the US&A, its full of gun-toting lunatics.
If The Donald and Hilary are the best you can come up with for presidential candidates it seems to me like your country is utterly fucked.

Anywho, in the latest picture the tyre does look a bit odd right enough.
A floor sander, grinder or similar should get those lumps off in no time flat.
Even so, it wouldn't pass inspection, and that's due at the end of the month.

And we're not all lunatics...I do carry a firearm, but just as a last ditch precaution. You never know these days what kind of crap someone is going to try, and police response isn't as fast as a well practiced draw. That said, I've never had to use it and hope the need never arises.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

honkerman wrote:Even so, it wouldn't pass inspection, and that's due at the end of the month.
That bit was a joke.
honkerman wrote:And we're not all lunatics...I do carry a firearm, but just as a last ditch precaution. You never know these days what kind of crap someone is going to try, and police response isn't as fast as a well practiced draw. That said, I've never had to use it and hope the need never arises.
That bit isn't.
When your whole society is awash with firearms bad shit is guaranteed to happen.
Carrying one yourself just makes you part of the problem.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

gn2 wrote:
honkerman wrote:Even so, it wouldn't pass inspection, and that's due at the end of the month.
That bit was a joke.
honkerman wrote:And we're not all lunatics...I do carry a firearm, but just as a last ditch precaution. You never know these days what kind of crap someone is going to try, and police response isn't as fast as a well practiced draw. That said, I've never had to use it and hope the need never arises.
That bit isn't.
When your whole society is awash with firearms bad shit is guaranteed to happen.
Carrying one yourself just makes you part of the problem.
You're welcome to your opinion. You're wrong, but I won't debate you here. This is the last I'll say anything on it since this isn't the point of this forum.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

honkerman wrote:You're welcome to your opinion.
It isn't opinion.
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

gn2 wrote:
honkerman wrote:You're welcome to your opinion.
It isn't opinion.
Could you please have the good grace to drop the subject so a mod does not lock the thread. Thanks.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Doing it for you now. :)
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

honkerman wrote:
Mel46 wrote:At 7 K miles on the front tire it is about time to change it anyway. Most front tires don't make it much beyond 7,000 miles before needing replacement. Rear tires will go twice that distance.
Not in my experience. It's usually the other way around. On my Kymco, the first front tire lasted nearly 20k miles. The rear had to be changed three times in that timeframe.
Whoops I thought I was looking at the rear tire. The tread direction and lack of CVT/exhaust should've been an indication.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

Got the new tire on. Man I love my city grips. Added bonus, it did not need to be balanced. Rare occurrence that.

http://scootinfool.blogspot.com/2016/06 ... bject.html
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

honkerman wrote:Added bonus, it did not need to be balanced. Rare occurrence that.
I've not had a tyre balanced for my scooter in five years.
That's about nine or ten tyres.
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

gn2 wrote:
honkerman wrote:Added bonus, it did not need to be balanced. Rare occurrence that.
I've not had a tyre balanced for my scooter in five years.
That's about nine or ten tyres.

For the Forza and the PCX?

My Kymco always had weights on it...maybe it's Honda...maybe the small diameter wheels...course, at the lower speeds we're generally going on the PCX it's not a do or die thing anyway.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
ScottDR
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScottDR »

gn2 wrote:I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be looking at...?
All I can see in the foreground is a normal front tyre and there's no cups anywhere.

Cups usually either have tea or tits in them. :confused:
Oh man! I almost fell off my chair! LOL!

Anyway, cupping of tires is found by running your hand both with and against the direction of rotation. What is felt is a definitely raised edge where the sipes are cut felt in one direction. Usually cause by week dampers OR most likely in this scenario, less compliant tires. Let's face it, the stock tires are a definite trade off.

Cheers!
ImageImageImage
2013 Black PCX 150
Mods/accessories:
Honda tall windshield, Honda top box, NCY variator and face with 13gram rollers, LED headlamps & taillight with, Backoff indicator
Kawell rectangular lights-fork, mounted
Cheeky Seats seat cover (de-humped), YSS PDC and front spring upgrade 15W fork fluid, YSS rear spring/damper upgrade-preload adjustable only, lots of reflective tape and other accessories

Previously owned:
1969 Honda K50 mini trail (first bike, still runs great and in the family)
1975 Honda CB125
1978 Yamaha DT400 (bored 2 stroke insanity)
1986 Kawasaki Ninja 250r
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

honkerman wrote:For the Forza and the PCX?
Yes.
The originals were balanced but I've only ever had one rear on the PCX balanced, the local tyre fitter which would balance scooter tyres closed down.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:
Yes.
The originals were balanced but I've only ever had one rear on the PCX balanced, the local tyre fitter which would balance scooter tyres closed down.

I don't bother on any of my bikes. As long as the light spot is next to the valve they are ok. If I did have a problem after that I'd get them balanced.
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

you you wrote:
gn2 wrote:
Yes.

I don't bother on any of my bikes. As long as the light spot is next to the valve they are ok. If I did have a problem after that I'd get them balanced.
Anyone who has visited this forum can clearly see that you are unbalanced.

:lol: :lol: :D
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube