Holy cupping Batman!

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Holy cupping Batman!

Post by honkerman »

So, I run my scoot about 5 miles every day across the Susquehanna River on US30. I occasionally run it longer than that at highway speeds. Took a look at my front tire this morning and it is seriously cupped. The pic doesn't do it justice. This is the stock Dunlop at about 7250 miles. I've got a city grip on order, but there you go; riding at highway speeds with the stock Dunlops isn't recommended.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (70.63 KiB) Viewed 1157 times
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Holy cupping Batman!

Post by gn2 »

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be looking at...?
All I can see in the foreground is a normal front tyre and there's no cups anywhere.

Cups usually either have tea or tits in them. :confused:
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

An undesirable irregular tread wear condition. I have Dunflops on my Buell and I watch for this too. Next tires will be something different.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

homie wrote:An undesirable irregular tread wear condition.
None of that in the picture either.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Red

Post by flyingzonker »

I doubt that the quality or type of the tire has anything to do with it. Your next tire will go the same way unless you get at the real problem. Make sure you keep enough air in the tires, neither too much or too little--this makes a big difference in how tires wear. Maybe the tire was not balanced properly or has gotten out of balance somehow?
Tom192
Regular User
Regular User
Color: red

Post by Tom192 »

roads too hot?
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

flyingzonker wrote:I doubt that the quality or type of the tire has anything to do with it. Your next tire will go the same way unless you get at the real problem. Make sure you keep enough air in the tires, neither too much or too little--this makes a big difference in how tires wear. Maybe the tire was not balanced properly or has gotten out of balance somehow?
Balance seems unlikely. They seem fine at high speeds. I keep good air pressure in them, and check it at least weekly. PA roads are horrible though. Showed my instructor and he seemed to think that was the major culprit, that and running the scoot at higher speeds than it's really meant for.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

gn2 wrote:
homie wrote:An undesirable irregular tread wear condition.
None of that in the picture either.
Here's a close up. The lump on the right side (your left) toward the upper center of the pic, and the curling of the left side tread (your right) should be more visible.

Lumps are great in tea, but not so great in breasts or tires.

Would help if I added the pic
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (61.41 KiB) Viewed 1132 times
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

yep... I see it
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (68.25 KiB) Viewed 1131 times
Lanesplitter
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Lanesplitter »

Hmm. My scoot is going in for 6000 miles service Thursday. I'll ask them to look at the tires and do so myself. I spend at least 20 miles/week at max speed. Plenty of 45-50mph, too. Some roads are very rough here, and I seem to seek them out. Rear tire is definitely showing wear. 432 new miles over the weekend.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

It's fine it's just squared off and wearing the tread.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

At 7 K miles on the front tire it is about time to change it anyway. Most front tires don't make it much beyond 7,000 miles before needing replacement. Rear tires will go twice that distance.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
DailyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2017
Color: Dark blue

Post by DailyRider »

Yup, I got cupped tires once because I didn't keep the inflation to spec

The arrows point to the edges of the cups (they're like facets)
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (109.92 KiB) Viewed 1104 times
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

The area in Homie's picture which the yellow arrow is pointing at just looks like a section between two sipes and I can't for the life of me see what the problem there is supposed to be.
To me the dark line in the centre of Dailyrider's picture which the pink arrow is pointing at doesn't look like a problem either.

Front tyres on a scooter last three or more rears in my experience, so shouldn't need changing till 15,000 at the earliest.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

WOW GN... I would have thought you to have this sorted and I haven't even looked up the facts yet. This cupping which I have seen on car tires (not bikes) by sheer physical existence (not even knowing if low inflation is the culprit or not) would lessen consistent and intended contact with the road surface. You may not feel it or suffer accident because of it but certainly less than intended by the manufacturer. In a wet or slippery situation this might just be the straw that breaks the camels back. Get rid of those tires please ASAP
DailyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2017
Color: Dark blue

Post by DailyRider »

Yes Homie, I let the tires get seriously under inflated.

And the motorcycle repair guy who was servicing my Vespa had a bit of a chat with me about doing my pre-ride checks.

If I'm right, the dark bar is raised at the edge of the "flat" (really more cupped) spot on the tire and you can see the raised bar in profile on the other side.
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

I wish the tires on my Vino 125 lasted 7,000+ miles. My Michelin tires at 2,500 miles are at the wear bar.

Is the cupping noisy? How's the handling with the seriously squared tires?
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

Mel46 wrote:At 7 K miles on the front tire it is about time to change it anyway. Most front tires don't make it much beyond 7,000 miles before needing replacement. Rear tires will go twice that distance.
Not in my experience. It's usually the other way around. On my Kymco, the first front tire lasted nearly 20k miles. The rear had to be changed three times in that timeframe.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

gn2 wrote:The area in Homie's picture which the yellow arrow is pointing at just looks like a section between two sipes and I can't for the life of me see what the problem there is supposed to be.
To me the dark line in the centre of Dailyrider's picture which the pink arrow is pointing at doesn't look like a problem either.

Front tyres on a scooter last three or more rears in my experience, so shouldn't need changing till 15,000 at the earliest.
Here's a shot from the side. You can see the lumps fairly clearly. It's very obvious in person, but unless you really want to take an international flight and come for a visit, that's not going to be possible. :lol:

Tbh, I vaguely recall there was a brief time in the winter when the tires were slightly under-inflated due to the cold, but that was quickly remedied. That was months ago, but combined with the crappy road surfaces I travel daily, may have been enough to get the damage started.

I have a new tire on order and will install it as soon as I can. I may be able to get it Wednesday and install it Thursday. In the meantime, I have the Piaggio.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (51.99 KiB) Viewed 1088 times
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Honkyman OMG! you are a nut!
I'm going to have to add you to the crash list.... AGAIN!
Attachments
doc.jpg
doc.jpg (6.21 KiB) Viewed 1084 times