THE AFTER SHOT!

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Re: THE AFTER SHOT!

Post by waspmike »

If the blue is reflective you maybe in trouble.
If you have white reflective on the rear likewise
Sinfullsinner
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2010
Color: Nc-70 white

Post by Sinfullsinner »

The colours are the same as the UK police, but it doesnt mimic it as such, its a coincidence :D the whole point is to be seen, im having a hi-viz printed wit "BET YOU SAW ME NOW!?" and a think bike logo under it, after being knocked off twice in two months I had decided enough is enough, what do people see like money in the street!? On the road the blue and yellow to a driver its like a meerkat spotting a grub every body sees the police coming! Ill create a safe zone around my self as I ride, for both my self and pedestrians
SINZ

PCX 2010, white, 10yrs old from new (secret transformer shhhh!)
Embattle
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: Red

Post by Embattle »

You are so getting nailed when a cop has a bad morning :p
DailyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2017
Color: Dark blue

Post by DailyRider »

Embattle wrote:You are so getting nailed when a cop has a bad morning :p
Yes, this could happen

I don't think anyone will mistake you for the police,
but once they're close enough to read the "punish & enslave" text,
I could easily see them taking offense
Wingscribe
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016
Color: Steel Grey

Post by Wingscribe »

I really like what you did there!!!
Ishkabibble
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by Ishkabibble »

Mabye in the UK that particular color scheme would be a problem.

But here in the US, nobody would care. I did a test once, before I even bought Natasha.

I saved several photos of UK motorcycle police bikes, and showed them to several of my friends in Law Enforcement. Even one who is a State Trooper. All of them agreed it would be a highly visible look on a white bike, and not one of them even mentioned the fact that the bike could be mistaken for a police bike. In fact, I had to point out to all of them the word "POLICE" on the motorcycles, and all of them said that unless I put that word on the bike, or blue lights of any kind, nobody could do a thing.

It's a shame that you guys across the pond can't put any variation of the single-most visible pattern on a bike.
I found something to put here.
Add yourself to the PCX-Forza Owner's Map!
Go here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ULV6Ib-uKsjMpWaPzPwAXmfB7vU&usp=sharing
For instructions how to add yourself go here: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6437#p88888

Be sure to add your Model, year, color, and name if your scoot has one!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Ishkabibble wrote:It's a shame that you guys across the pond can't put any variation of the single-most visible pattern on a bike.
Don't be so sure.... Click me...
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Ishkabibble
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Ishkabibble »

heh... Interestingly enough, none of those are actually patterns. They're actually solids.

Neon and flourescent colors are great, but they still aren't as visible as Battenburg. It's the combination of the alternating "checkering" of the contrasting colors, and the chosen colors not being naturally present in most urban and road conditions that makes it so effective. Neon green and flourescent pink would certainly be visible, but the blue and yellow to me is the most visually attractive. I wish I were more artistically-inclined, but since I'm not, I wish I could have someone design out a Battenburg pattern for Natasha, and I'd cover her completely with it.
Go here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ULV6Ib-uKsjMpWaPzPwAXmfB7vU&usp=sharing
For instructions how to add yourself go here: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6437#p88888

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

When I worked as traincrew you could see trackworkers from over a mile away.
They wore solid orange.
Patterns are best for camouflage, not conspicuity.
The battenburg pattern makes a white PCX less visible in daylight.
At night the increased visibility is down to reflectivity.
Clear reflective panels (as mandatory on helmets in France) would be better..
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Wingscribe
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016
Color: Steel Grey

Post by Wingscribe »

In (somewhat) related news:

On the way to work today, an Ohio State Trooper was passed me heading the opposite way, and did a huge double-take at my Steel Grey PCX. I was stopped in trafffic, so I can't think he was looking at me for doing anything wrong, then it hit me...

All of the Ohio State cars are silver...did he think they had gone to a smaller enforcement vehicle?

Now, I'm having thoughts of doing up the bike as a Decepticon Ohio Trooper. If I do (jury is still out), I have you to thank for the inspiration.

Mike
Sinfullsinner
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Sinfullsinner »

Its cool that ive inspired some one, just mocked up a hi-viz im going to get a printed one asap but this will do for now
Attachments
IMG_20160601_202536.JPG
IMG_20160601_202536.JPG (249.34 KiB) Viewed 1419 times
SINZ

Ishkabibble
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Ishkabibble »

gn2 wrote:When I worked as traincrew you could see trackworkers from over a mile away.
They wore solid orange.
Patterns are best for camouflage, not conspicuity.
The battenburg pattern makes a white PCX less visible in daylight.
At night the increased visibility is down to reflectivity.
Clear reflective panels (as mandatory on helmets in France) would be better..
I disagree, as does the research. The initial study was done back in the 1960s to determine highest visibility for aircraft under test conditions. The regular counter-point squares of Battenburg, in high-contrast, or even flourescent colors is the single most visible color scheme there is. The fact that such contrast exists within the shape is what makes it visible. The concept is based on Paredolia, the mind's tendency to want to create recognizable patterns out of visual images, which is why we see dragons in clouds.

It is the very irregularity of the outline of a motorcycle, in addition to most of their colors blending, (blacks, greys, silvers) that blend within an urban/road environment. Breaking up those outlines with high contrast, high visibility colors, in a regular pattern, on an irregular shape is what attracts the eye. At night, it most certainly is the reflectivity, as the colors of the reflected light aren't as distinguishable from any distance. The blue will blend into the yellow after a certain distance away (there is a scientific name for it, based on the Dawes Limit of optical resolution, but I don't know what that term is.) no matter what.

But in broad daylight, high-luminosity conditions, there is no color scheme more visible than Battenburg. Not even International Orange.

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

An aircraft isn't a motorcycle.
They inhabit different environments.
It is the background which determines how best to enhance or reduce the conspicuity of an object.
Which is why UK miltary training aircraft got painted black and why I will always buy a white scooter and wear a white helmet.
Ease of assessing a moving object's speed and direction is key in reducing the hazard surrounding traffic conflicts.
Patterns reduce the ability to assess speed and direction.
This has been known about for more than a hundred years.
The battenburg pattern on UK emergency service vehicles was adopted to enhance visibility while they are stationary.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

There's cake involved!! Yum. Eating lots of battenburg makes me more visible that's for sure
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Don't eat too much or you'll be toast.
Death by cake, what a way to go.
Sinfullsinner
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Sinfullsinner »

o_O Death by cake I could go for that! :D 8)
SINZ

Ishkabibble
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Ishkabibble »

gn2 wrote:An aircraft isn't a motorcycle.
They inhabit different environments.
It is the background which determines how best to enhance or reduce the conspicuity of an object.
Which is why UK miltary training aircraft got painted black and why I will always buy a white scooter and wear a white helmet.
Ease of assessing a moving object's speed and direction is key in reducing the hazard surrounding traffic conflicts.
Patterns reduce the ability to assess speed and direction.
This has been known about for more than a hundred years.
The battenburg pattern on UK emergency service vehicles was adopted to enhance visibility while they are stationary.
The only way I could respond to this in any manner that would carry any validity would be to explain in great detail how the academic research was conducted, and why it works, and thus why you're wrong.

Since I have little to no interest in doing that, I'll just say that you're comparing apples and oranges.

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

You can't make pie with oranges.
Unless there's some academic research I don't know about?
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

I will admit...."I" am sooo lost right now :oops: (or, was that earlier?)
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (14.42 KiB) Viewed 1364 times
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Sinfullsinner
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Sinfullsinner »

Wow chill peeps go check my exhaust out!? Hehe bit of a beast im well pleased any advice on supported video formats?
SINZ