Seat re-cover

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Sinfullsinner
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2010
Color: Nc-70 white

Seat re-cover

Post by Sinfullsinner »

Recovering my seat, got hold of some ski mobile anti slip when wet seat covering, some trim bond, heavy duty stapler and staples, im removing the hump in the seat to give my 6'4" frame some more leg room, was thinking of just going over the leather extra padding, or would you suggest removing it and going straight to foam? Ideas appreciated
SINZ

PCX 2010, white, 10yrs old from new (secret transformer shhhh!)
db22
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Black

Re: Seat re-cover

Post by db22 »

I'm only 5'10", and I found it cramped; at half a foot taller, you must be miserable on the bike. I removed the cover and foam, then cut the hump entirely out of the seatpan and epoxied a flat section of 3/8" plywood in its place. I then cut the foam just forward of its hump, and carved away slices of the rear section until it was level with the forward section. I ended up raising the forward section with an underlayer of stiff packing foam and using thin seating foam to blend the raised forward section to the seatpan. Major cuts were done with an electric carving knife, originally intended for carving meat. The rear section needed shaving down, and I used an abrasive ball in a power drill to do it. I stitched a new cover from marine vinyl, and stapled it in place. It's still not perfect -- this winter I'll pull it apart and further sculpt the foam according to what I have learned by riding it over the summer.
I may be goin' to hell in a bucket, but at least I'm enjoyin' the ride...
db22
Regular User
Regular User

Post by db22 »

Here's an idea that occurred to me: those of us who find the PCX seat really cramped might consider removing the cover and foam from the seatpan, flattening the seatpan hump, and then affixing a motorcycle solo saddle to the seatpan in a position comfortable to the rider. You'd lose the ability to carry a passenger, but if you're sitting far back on a modified seat, a passenger would be cramped anyway. Once a suitable position for the seat has been determined, the seat can be removed, the bare seatpan covered in upholstery vinyl, and then the seat can be permanently remounted.
Sinfullsinner
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Sinfullsinner »

I was on about the bolted hump on the seat rmove the two bolts and hup then just cober them over with the new covering
SINZ

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

db22 wrote:Here's an idea that occurred to me: those of us who find the PCX seat really cramped might consider removing the cover and foam from the seatpan, flattening the seatpan hump, and then affixing a motorcycle solo saddle to the seatpan in a position comfortable to the rider. You'd lose the ability to carry a passenger, but if you're sitting far back on a modified seat, a passenger would be cramped anyway. Once a suitable position for the seat has been determined, the seat can be removed, the bare seatpan covered in upholstery vinyl, and then the seat can be permanently remounted.

That would look lovely :lol:
db22
Regular User
Regular User

Post by db22 »

Sinfullsinner wrote:I was on about the bolted hump on the seat rmove the two bolts and hup then just cober them over with the new covering
You have the older-style removable hump. My 2015 has a permanent hump in the foam, and beneath it, a molded-in hump in the seatpan. I really love the bike, but it was designed with Asian riders in mind.
Sinfullsinner
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Sinfullsinner »

Lol @ designed with Asian riders in mind, I totally get what ya saying, and yes I have the removable one thankfully, cant wait to get it out of the way
SINZ

db22
Regular User
Regular User

Post by db22 »

Sinfullsinner wrote:Lol @ designed with Asian riders in mind, I totally get what ya saying, and yes I have the removable one thankfully, cant wait to get it out of the way
I suppose it wouldn't be profitable for Honda to make a scooter for tall people. They probably sell 25 scooters in Thailand and neighboring countries for every one they sell in the West. It would be nice if they offered an optional seat, or if the Thai aftermarket seat makers had more convenient ways for us to buy their seats in the West. Until then, I'll keep experimenting until I'm comfortable.
Sinfullsinner
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Sinfullsinner »

Maybe if enough of us complained there would be a consideration made lol
SINZ

WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Having an optional seat(s) made available through and by Honda has been wanted by many since the 2011 PCX arrived in the USA. We were hoping that Honda was listening/reading here. Instead they redesigned the seat. How's that working for ya? For me, okay. Some say good, some not.

Maybe start a "Dear Honda" thread, where you can list your grievances, wants and what nots?
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
db22
Regular User
Regular User

Post by db22 »

WhiteNoise wrote:Maybe start a "Dear Honda" thread, where you can list your grievances, wants and what nots?
What a great idea, WN. Should we petition the forum deity to make it happen, then inform Honda USA and UK to keep an eye on the threads?
Sinfullsinner
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Sinfullsinner »

Start of some thing beautiful
Attachments
IMG_20160529_232122.JPG
IMG_20160529_232122.JPG (455.38 KiB) Viewed 1750 times
IMG_20160529_232058.JPG
IMG_20160529_232058.JPG (341.27 KiB) Viewed 1750 times
SINZ

Sinfullsinner
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Sinfullsinner »

Think I did wellfor my first time fabricating, pleased with the result :D
Attachments
IMG_20160529_232330.JPG
IMG_20160529_232330.JPG (159.41 KiB) Viewed 1750 times
IMG_20160529_232313.JPG
IMG_20160529_232313.JPG (300.33 KiB) Viewed 1750 times
IMG_20160529_232237.JPG
IMG_20160529_232237.JPG (120.11 KiB) Viewed 1750 times
IMG_20160529_232209.JPG
IMG_20160529_232209.JPG (210.71 KiB) Viewed 1750 times
IMG_20160529_232144.JPG
IMG_20160529_232144.JPG (287.28 KiB) Viewed 1750 times
SINZ

Ishkabibble
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013

Post by Ishkabibble »

That's some skill there.

I really admire people who can make those kinds of alterations. I don't have the courage to even attempt it, nor the skillset to see it through.
I found something to put here.
Add yourself to the PCX-Forza Owner's Map!
Go here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ULV6Ib-uKsjMpWaPzPwAXmfB7vU&usp=sharing
For instructions how to add yourself go here: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6437#p88888

Be sure to add your Model, year, color, and name if your scoot has one!
Sinfullsinner
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Sinfullsinner »

Seriously thanks :D Ive never done anything like this before, let alone have the skills to do it ihave a fast memory and you tube ;) also a side of me that cant resist tinkering, again thanks I thought it was an amatuer effort im pleased with it all the same ;)
Ishkabibble wrote:That's some skill there.

I really admire people who can make those kinds of alterations. I don't have the courage to even attempt it, nor the skillset to see it through.
SINZ

ScooterAddict
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by ScooterAddict »

When you recovered your seat, did you start with a flat piece of vinyl and then tack it down in the front of the pan and keep stretching it as you moved to the back of the seat? I'm wondering cause I'm going to attempt it myself.
2013 PCX150, GIVI tall w/s, Hondaline topcase, Tusk 15mm handlebar risers, NCY Variator, NCY Drive Face, NCY 13gram rollers. (I put a brand new Honda OEM belt on), R- Michelin City Grip, Front- Michelin City Grip, 10w30 syn with 2oz of MotorKote, GrabOn grip covers.

2013 Honda CRF250L
2-2005 Honda Metropolitan's,
I have always had big displacement road bikes. I'm now into the "small revolution."
I just need one more 2 wheeler!!
Sinfullsinner
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Sinfullsinner »

Start at the petrol end trust me, one thing I learnt straight away, definitely use vinyl not the ski mobile leather like me as it made stapling hard, and vinyl is that little bit more stretchy, dont forget about the humps under the origional seat unless you are just recovering a built in hump seat. Trim bond adhesive on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151206917402 was a God send! And is really cheap, dont buy a staple gun from diy grab an electric one, more power less hammers, and last thing I found was lots of staples! And a good pair of pliers dont be scared to unpick bits and re-do them
SINZ

fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Buy Sailrite....allsport...4-way stretch vinyl made for recovering motorcycle seats.
Colors too.
Working great on my Kymco seat rebuild for 3 yrs.
Fish
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by k2apache6.0 »

you you wrote:
db22 wrote:Here's an idea that occurred to me: those of us who find the PCX seat really cramped might consider removing the cover and foam from the seatpan, flattening the seatpan hump, and then affixing a motorcycle solo saddle to the seatpan in a position comfortable to the rider. You'd lose the ability to carry a passenger, but if you're sitting far back on a modified seat, a passenger would be cramped anyway. Once a suitable position for the seat has been determined, the seat can be removed, the bare seatpan covered in upholstery vinyl, and then the seat can be permanently remounted.

You you wrote: That would look lovely :lol:
Bwhahahaaa
My PCX mod build here..
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7113