My PCX in Jeopardy

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

DailyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2017
Color: Dark blue

Re: My PCX in Jeopardy

Post by DailyRider »

homie wrote:Yes computer boy has not the experience we had on two wheeler's of all kinds. Bicycle, mini bike, 250 dirt bike, 500-600 street and eventually the 0-60 in the blink of an eye 1000cc super bike so yes this dosent seem like a good thing.
Unless things are different where you are, he'll be asked to demonstrate that he can ride a bicycle, before they let him try to ride one of the MSF bikes.

...And letting him learn on the MSF bikes would save a lot of wear and tear on your scooter. ;)
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

DailyRider wrote:
homie wrote:Unless things are different where you are, he'll be asked to demonstrate that he can ride a bicycle, before they let him try to ride one of the MSF bikes.
This is just... SAD! but yes youth need to prove they can ride a bicycle and not a bicycle in a video game o_O
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

dkazzed wrote:Are you surprised? What we do will shape what our kids do with our observation. The riding should have quit a decade and a half ago if you didn't want your kids to become riders themselves. I test rode a CBR 250R yesterday and it had plenty of power for the freeway, yet it was super easy to ride.

My kids will definitely be free to become riders themselves, after taking lessons. I would love to go riding with them.

ABS is definitely a good feature to have. I'm just on the fence between whether kids should start with ABS from the get go or kids should learn how to safely stop their bikes without ABS first then move onto an ABS second bike.
I meant to add that I recommend going the used bike route which is why I mentioned the CBR 250R...
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
JimRay
Year: 2013
Color: red

Post by JimRay »

On the topic of the 75year old, I am 73 now. No current family members own or ride. I purchased a 300 cc, took the course, failed (unable to turn inside the box). I traded for a '13pcx 150. b I ride only on the back roads and until last week, when I found the table saw blade cuts fingers as well as wood , road most days. I did pass the test and can drive legal. Sure is hard to type with one and 1/3 hand, but will not lose any fingers. THE 150 IS GREAT.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

His bedroom isn't above yours is it o_O
JustScootIn
Year: 2015 PCX 150
Color: White

Post by JustScootIn »

GatorGreg wrote:
homie wrote:Correct.... he is showing a Yamaha ;)

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/super ... els/yzf-r3
Homie, I'd recommend trying to convince him to get the ABS model of the Kawi Ninja 300 or Honda CBR 300R instead - you can't get ABS on the Yami R3 in the USA unfortunately. Ideally I'd help him find a low mileage used one with a few scratches already cuz there's a good chance he'll drop it a few times while he learns. However, the new '16 CBR 300R looks amazing in Orange and it stickers at less than $5K even with the optional ABS - I was drooling over one myself just last week and wondering if it would fit in my garage with my PCX :D
The cb300f is really cool too if you're into the naked sport bike look. More upright riding position and lower seat at 28" I believe. It's marketed towards beginners however, the USA model does not have abs. The Canadians get it with abs and they get it in white. :roll:
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

homie wrote:My son is coming home from college today and he has informed his mother (with caution) he's decided he wants to learn how to ride this summer. He knew I would not receive this very well so he enlisted her support and I failed to make good argument against them.

His choice is a 300cc entry level something I don't care but I'm insisting a course and sacrificing my PCX for his learning. Why he just won't have a car is a mystery to me. I'm going to hope he's spooked off the idea once he gets out there on the scooter and lets it go until he's married because young wives will have none of that. If this does not go well this summer my beautiful PCX might need a touch up and make the crash list :( boooooooooooooo
Doesn't make sense.
Why would you let him ride your scooter if you are against him riding?
How can you defend your position against him riding when you yourself ride?
Smells of hypocrisy to me.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

JustScootIn wrote:
GatorGreg wrote:

Homie, I'd recommend trying to convince him to get the ABS model of the Kawi Ninja 300 or Honda CBR 300R instead - you can't get ABS on the Yami R3 in the USA unfortunately. Ideally I'd help him find a low mileage used one with a few scratches already cuz there's a good chance he'll drop it a few times while he learns. However, the new '16 CBR 300R looks amazing in Orange and it stickers at less than $5K even with the optional ABS - I was drooling over one myself just last week and wondering if it would fit in my garage with my PCX :D
The cb300f is really cool too if you're into the naked sport bike look. More upright riding position and lower seat at 28" I believe. It's marketed towards beginners however, the USA model does not have abs. The Canadians get it with abs and they get it in white. :roll:
Drive up to Canada, get the white w/ABS and ride it home!!
Fish
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

gn2 wrote: Why would you let him ride your scooter if you are against him riding?
How can you defend your position against him riding when you yourself ride?
Smells of hypocrisy to me.
Yes one gets conflicted over the youth out there with so much ahead of themselves. Unnecessary risk is how it feels. I however have lived a good long life and raised a decent Christian young man. When I found I have heart disease with my third stent now it wasn't much of a leap to do some crazy things like ride a motorbike in Chicago traffic 8) Jump out of a perfectly good airplane, Heading for Hawaii next month to do and see all I can. I may offer to sell off all the bikes if he would reconsider a car. Funny how your kids make you crazy like that.
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

fish wrote:
JustScootIn wrote: The cb300f is really cool too if you're into the naked sport bike look. More upright riding position and lower seat at 28" I believe. It's marketed towards beginners however, the USA model does not have abs. The Canadians get it with abs and they get it in white. :roll:
Drive up to Canada, get the white w/ABS and ride it home!!
Fish
It'll have to be any remaining 2015 models since 2016's colour is black, but still ABS only.

Remaining 2015s are selling for CA$3699 (US$3000) + about $400-800 in freight, admin, doc fees (if any) depending on dealer to dealer.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

homie, when does "Handsome" (he is) get home?
If he's dead set on riding, sit him down (perhaps in garage) and have a man 2 man talk about riding a motorbike. You now have experience, share All that. The good and the bad. The fun and the scary. Your fears. Your freedom.

Testing 1, 2, 3
Did you say He has No bicycle riding experience? Than Teach him how to ride the one in your garage. If he dislikes it or can't master it....that tells you Both something.

homie, did you ever take the MSF course? (I don't remember, sorry). If you did, tell him the advantages of doing so. If you didn't, tell him you should have and Why.
As I said earlier, you can join him. Take the course together. You will be Right There to see/hear how well he does or doesn't do.

If he were my Son (I know, yadda, yadda, yadda), I'd be practicing what I just preached.
Is your wife leaving the decision up to you to lay the law? To handle the matter? Well then....

@ Daily Rider...I never heard of that. Experience riding a Bicycle as a Requirement!
In Florida, and as far as I know (from friends) in NY, you're not required to have bicycle riding experience in order to take the MSF course. Today? Maybe rules have changed. I really Don't know.
Any other States have this bicycle riding requirement?

Gosh! Me and My bicycle(s)? I rode one the other day.....Forever in my Heart
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

You can learn a lot by riding a bicycle first, especially if the brakes are on the handlebar. Once he is able to handle it safely, let him try to do the cones where the DMV motorcycle tests are taken. I took my wife out to one that was handled in a public parking lot. We had just gotten her pcx and she had not ridden for many, many years...and then only dirt bikes. She was discouraged at first because she didn't think she could do it on a scooter. Well, after many weekends of practice, it became much easier for her. I had my Bergman 400 at the time and could do it fairly easily, but I chose the pcx to take my test on, since my motorcycle endorsement had not been transferred to my drivers license from the state I had lived in previously.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

WhiteNoise wrote:Did you say He has No bicycle riding experience? Than Teach him how to ride the one in your garage. If he dislikes it or can't master it....that tells you Both something. Homie, did you ever take the MSF course? (I don't remember, sorry). If you did, tell him the advantages of doing so. If you didn't, tell him you should have and Why. As I said earlier, you can join him. Take the course together. You will be Right There to see/hear how well he does or doesn't do.
He is home today, that's correct he has no motorbike experience of any kind. If he had shown any interest as a teen I would have bought him a dirt bike or something. His interests was computers, builds his own, sorts out new devices with the ease of an IT guy, but NO two wheel fun like us 50+ year old's had when we were young. Yes I will do the course with him or better yet let him teach me what he learns because young men like to know stuff you don't :roll: seems to thrive on the fact I cant handily connect mobile devices and computers to TV's. I can do that, I just don't want to :lol: I will absolutely sacrifice the precious Shay Whitey on this adventure and pray it goes easy if he falls off. We can fix the scooter and a few bruises but not sure what happens after.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

"Hi Son!
Hi Dad!
Welcome Home!
Let's Ride!" 8)

Love the sound of that!
I really want that for the two of you, but who am I, and what the heck do I know!
I trust you homie....always have ;) You're a Good Man. Good Luck!
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I feel like this current generation will know about computers but have no other practical knowledge or experience. Many of them do not even want to learn anything else. I even know of some who can not run a lawn mower. Yes, they want a motorcycle, because their friends have them, not because they wanted fun inexpensive transportation.
Those that I see around my area who have a motorcycle almost exclusively have sport bikes. The idea of riding comfortably doesn't seem to enter into the picture when they are shopping for a bike.
I know about computers and also about working with my hands. Two of my three sons can do both. Two of my three daughters can work with both as well. I know it can be done, so why don't these kids want to learn about things that don't involve computers? It gives you a good feeling as a parent when your kids come to you and want to learn about things you know.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

I hear you Mel, if I had that many kids to put through college I'd be broke and there wouldn't be any luxury or recreational vehicles to contribute to this situation. I'm coming to think like this (and I don't want the female riders to take this wrong) but it might go like it did when I let my wife ride my Segway. She ran off the side walk, off the curb just missing a tree. Miraculously stayed on the Segway but she never ask to ride it again. End of story, life was good and the force be with us :)
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by GatorGreg »

JustScootIn wrote:
GatorGreg wrote:

I just figured if Homie Jr. is looking at the R3 he'd probably prefer the 300R to the 300F. Hmmm...maybe we could send Bieber back to Canada in exchange for ABS equipped CB300Fs? :D
2018 Yamaha SMAX Raven Black (aka Majesty S)
RIP 2015 Honda PCX 150 Pearl White
RIP 2010 Honda Elite (Lead) 110 Black
Check out GatorGreg's Motovlog on YouTube
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Woot! I caught a break... homie JR got a job interview right across the street :lol:
Walking distance so.. bought some time! If he works there all summer this could go away. Then maybe after college rent an apartment next to the Metro station and then perhaps forget about a motorbike in the helmet-less state of Illinois completely :lol: sounds a little over protective dosent it? Alright T.M.I. thread closed