First long journey on my PXC - need advice.

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Fran
Year: 2014
Color: White

Re: First long journey on my PXC - need advice.

Post by Fran »

gn2 wrote:Riding at night can be easier because there is much less traffic.
Most of my riding is at night but I know the route and it's all lit. My eyesight isn't great so I'd be scared of hitting a pothole or messing up somewhere.
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

Fran wrote:
gn2 wrote:Riding at night can be easier because there is much less traffic.
Most of my riding is at night but I know the route and it's all lit. My eyesight isn't great so I'd be scared of hitting a pothole or messing up somewhere.
Reasonable concerns.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
Fran

Post by Fran »

honkerman wrote:I've done the long distance thing on three different bikes, two of them being 150cc scooters (see my blog linked below). From experience, I'd suggest investing in some sort of seat cushion, or a sheepskin. I've done 300+ miles in 9 hours, with stops every 50 miles or so, and it can be done, but I'd have been more comfortable with a seat pad.
I've taken your advice and ordered a seat cushion. It was £25 (i.e. relatively cheap) and had good reviews, so I think that should help.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

... and then there is the return journey? - what is it's heavy rain most of the time? Even on a proper motorbike with great brakes and wide tyres (the pcx are tiny) I would consider alternatives to doing very long journeys (4-5hr's+) by bike when alternatives may be on offer.
Fran

Post by Fran »

iceman wrote:... and then there is the return journey? - what is it's heavy rain most of the time? Even on a proper motorbike with great brakes and wide tyres (the pcx are tiny) I would consider alternatives to doing very long journeys (4-5hr's+) by bike when alternatives may be on offer.
If it's heavy rain on the return journey I will either put it off a day or split it over 2 days or both. I do have waterproof gear obviously but I certainly don't fancy riding strange roads for hours in rain. Same for the journey down. Actually just looking at the forecast - it has gone a lot worse so maybe I will go by bus!
Fran

Post by Fran »

Ok I found out my parents could collect me if I get a train to Axminster, so that makes a train much more attractive, and the weather forecast is cold and rain for the next 2 weeks, so I booked a train ticket for £129. Thanks for all the advice. Maybe next time I'll bike it.
wojtek_pl
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 PCX 125
Color: matt black

Post by wojtek_pl »

Fran wrote:I've taken your advice and ordered a seat cushion. It was £25 (i.e. relatively cheap) and had good reviews, so I think that should help.
Seat cushion? Care for sharing a link ? ;)

BTW, all the advice make simple journey sounds like "must-see-the-end-of-the-world" expedition. :lol:
Regards
Wojtek
2014 Honda PCX 125
Fran

Post by Fran »

It's the weather that's putting me off going at the moment. Here's the link. I looked it up elsewhere on the net as well. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351708282710
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Fran wrote:Ok I found out my parents could collect me if I get a train to Axminster, so that makes a train much more attractive, and the weather forecast is cold and rain for the next 2 weeks, so I booked a train ticket for £129. Thanks for all the advice. Maybe next time I'll bike it.

Wimp
Fran

Post by Fran »

Finally did a longish journey. I did 90 miles and the same back home 2 days later. I enjoyed the ride. It was quite tough on the old backside so if I was doing it again I would probably reorder the seat pad I cancelled. Was let down by my sat nav app on my phone which kept stopping. I learned the golden rule for PCX riding - don't try to overtake lorries on dual carriageways. The PCX doesn't have the power to overtake a lorry cruising at 50-55mph safely and it takes too long to be safe. However unobstructed I could cruise at 55-60 quite happily, and occasionally go a bit faster.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

I found my PCX unable to keep up with lorries never mind pass them.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
wojtek_pl
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 PCX 125
Color: matt black

Post by wojtek_pl »

General rule of riding motorcycle, as far as I suppose it is, is to avoid highways and cruise on local roads.
Regards
Wojtek
2014 Honda PCX 125
ScooterAddict
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by ScooterAddict »

Fran wrote:Finally did a longish journey. I did 90 miles and the same back home 2 days later. I enjoyed the ride. It was quite tough on the old backside so if I was doing it again I would probably reorder the seat pad I cancelled. Was let down by my sat nav app on my phone which kept stopping. I learned the golden rule for PCX riding - don't try to overtake lorries on dual carriageways. The PCX doesn't have the power to overtake a lorry cruising at 50-55mph safely and it takes too long to be safe. However unobstructed I could cruise at 55-60 quite happily, and occasionally go a bit faster.
The fact that you ride everyday even if it is only for a short distance. You learn by repetition, and everyday is better than the guy who rides once a month for 200mi. I don't know if you have a PCX150 or a PCX125? Either way you should look into a NCY Variator, Drive Face and Roller Weights. That would increase your top speed. Also try to run synthetic oil in the engine and the rear differential. Make sure your tire pressures are on the high side. All this will help free up a tiny bit of parasitic drag horsepower.

I did 326mi in an 8hr trip with some friends. County roads with a lot of curves and straightaways so we were riding as hard as we could. I am 60yrs old.

Good luck and God Bless in all your new adventures!
2013 PCX150, GIVI tall w/s, Hondaline topcase, Tusk 15mm handlebar risers, NCY Variator, NCY Drive Face, NCY 13gram rollers. (I put a brand new Honda OEM belt on), R- Michelin City Grip, Front- Michelin City Grip, 10w30 syn with 2oz of MotorKote, GrabOn grip covers.

2013 Honda CRF250L
2-2005 Honda Metropolitan's,
I have always had big displacement road bikes. I'm now into the "small revolution."
I just need one more 2 wheeler!!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:I found my PCX unable to keep up with lorries never mind pass them.

That's certainly not my experience. Was it properly maintained?, first thing to check would be tyre pressures.