Top boxes and trunks and mounting racks, oh my

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

JonYo
Year: 2016
Color: Red

Top boxes and trunks and mounting racks, oh my

Post by JonYo »

Hi all! New to the forum, first post. I was digging through past posts on trunks and such. Figured I'd start a new post, since this is about mounting trunks on the newer models, and the other posts were mostly talking about '13 and earlier models, and I understand the mounting is a bit different.

I found out yesterday that Honda has issued a recall on parts 08L71-K35-J00, 08L70-KZY-910, and 81200-KWN-780, mounting racks for their top boxes/trunks for PCX125 and PCX 150 models. I have a new 2016 PCX150, and I had ordered a Honda top box, key cylinder, and rack part# 08L71-K35-J00, and while I picked up the trunk and key cyl already, the dealer couldn't figure out why Honda said the rack would be on it's way, but then it never showed up. Turns out, recall! Official Honda recall # is JY8, some details here:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/Sea ... ds=2001852
and here:
http://blog.motorcycle.com/2016/04/11/m ... ox-mounts/

Since there's no ETA on when a redesigned rack part will be available, I bailed on the whole thing and returned what I had, and got my $ back.

So, question for you folks:
What do you think of the Givi boxes? More specifically, what do you think about how you mount them? My main concern is not wanting to drill too much in case I want to take the box and rack off, leaving a bunch of holes in my scooter. It's my understanding that the body panel part you have to drill through on the '13 and earlier models is a bigger part, while the '15-'16 models like mine appear to have a little separate plate on the tail that looks removable, and I *think* the mounting points will be under there. I'm unclear if you just leave that plate off when you install the rack, so no drilling at all, or you have to drill through that plate, which probably wouldn't be so bad since that plate is sorta small and might not cost a ton to replace.

Any suggestions on one of the Givi MonoLock models that'll be big but not look weird in term of proportion to put on a bike this size? (I think the MonoLock models are the ones that use a bike-specific mounting rack [good], while the MonoKey models use a generic mounting rack [not so good], unless I've got that backwards.)

I've had the PCX for about 4 weeks now, put about 200 miles on it so far, having fun.
raito
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: matte silver

Re: Top boxes and trunks and mounting racks, oh my

Post by raito »

I got Givi E30TN box and Givi SR1136 mount. I think the size is just right. E26 would have been too small and wasteful. Maybe, max a 33L box for a PCX to not look oddly out of proportion. No drilling needed for my 2015 PCX, so if i decide to go back top(box)less, it can be done without leaving any sign I had one before. The mount is solid metal and seems very sturdy.

Here is mine, just after installing it myself (with help from Dad):
DSC_0235.JPG
DSC_0235.JPG (88.14 KiB) Viewed 3714 times
ImageImageImage
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Givi is top quality kit.
Monolock = 3kg load carrying capacity
Monokey = 10kg load carrying capacity
Doesn't matter what volume the case is, the weight limit is the same.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Chapel
Color: White

Post by Chapel »

I have been stalking this forum for quite some time. Lots of good info here. In this matter I think I can contribute.

I have a 2106 white/red model. I have fitted a givi rack (can't remember the model) and a givi nm43 top box. Capacity is 43 liters and in my opinion doesn't look too big for the bike. Will post pics if anyone wants some eye candy.

Fitted the box and left the small plastic part covering off. Doesn't look weird as the giving base covers most of the bottom part.

Just don't forget to loctite the screws when fitting.
DailyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2017
Color: Dark blue

Post by DailyRider »

Yes as others have said, there's a piece that comes off so that you don't need to drill any holes. And the assembly is pretty easy.

I got mine because there was no way that any of my helmets would fit into the stock case.
And I posted pictures at... http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5410
jblye
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by jblye »

Hi, JonYo
Here are some upgrades that I made to my 2015 PCX150......including a top box....that I published previously.
Hope this helps.

Here are the upgrades to my 2015 PCX150 that have made the scooter a much more enjoyable / practical ride:

http://johnnysstuffblog.blogspot.com/20 ... rades.html

Givi D1130ST TALL Windscreen (Purchased from Tour and Ride....Givi's USA online store)......This tall windscreen works fairly well as is,
but it still has some wind noise and helmet buffeting, so I tried a couple of upgrades. At first, I installed a 10 inch Universal Laminar Lip.
That provided some improvement.....but mostly in the center 10 inches of the screen....and the fit to my D1130ST was not ideal, so I sent
the Lip back for a refund. Then I purchased 3 feet of Saeng's Micro Swirl edging (see pics) for about $45. That made a significant improvement,
reducing wind noise and buffeting from the top AND the sides of the screen. Without the edging, the air stream hits the center of my helmet
visor and about 2 inches from the sides of my helmet. With the edging, the air stream barely hits the top of my helmet and is about 4 or 5
inches away from the sides of my helmet. Much quieter and smoother airflow behind the screen ! NOTE: I DON'T THINK THAT THIS EDGING
WOULD BE VERY EFFECTIVE FOR LOWER LEVEL WINDSCREENS. With the D1130ST windscreen, I'm JUST looking over the top of the screen,
so the effect of the edging is maximized. For reference, I'm 5 feet - 10 inches tall....but long waisted. A rider of similar height who is not long
waisted should get an even better improvement than I did.

Kappa K35N Top Box. The Tour and Ride rep convinced me that this box is just as well made as Givi's boxes of similar size, as they are both
made by Givi on the same assembly line......just rebadged and with minor cosmetic differences. Only time will tell about that, but it cost $85, only
about half as much as a Givi box of similar size. Also, I purchased the Kappa KR1136 mount for $38, about $10 cheaper than the Givi version.
The rep said that there is no real difference between the Kappa and Givi mounts.

The Bell handlebar bag is available for about ten bucks at WalMart....very handy.
Johnny
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

From GiviUSA
PDF on "How To" install/mount the Givi SR1136/KR1136 base (discussed above)

Provided for
model yrs. 2010 - 2013
model yrs. 2014 to present
(Although "to present" was Not listed, the mounting area has Not changed - (AFAIK)

:? Be ready with drill. Template's are provided. Print and use.

http://www.giviusa.com/pdf/SR1136.pdf
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Need Clarity
Hmm...I 'm wondering now. Must we drill into our 2014 - 2016 tupperware covers to mount this Givi SR1136? Is it possible to remove the cover and bolt the mount in directly?
Trade off: Realizing the tupperware cover will remain off for as long as we use this mount.

I now have a Honda mount (that hel-lo, has been re-called), bolted directly in. My Tupperware Cover was removed and stored away (with no holes).

Can I/We mount the Givi SR1136 the same way? Straight in...no drilling?
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
jblye
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jblye »

I didn't have to do any drilling to mount the KR1136 base.
Johnny
JonYo
Color: Red

Post by JonYo »

Thanks for all the input everyone. I liked being able to see how some of the boxes look when actually mounted in your photos. I think I'll go with 33-liter MonoKey case model B33NMKA, and the mounting plate SR1136. I was thinking of the MonoKey model instead of the equally sized MonoLock model (B33NMLA) solely due to the higher weight capability, not really anything to do with looks, since they look almost the same. If I'm feeling more ambitious, I may actually order a spare one of the removable top plate from the bike so I can drill one and maybe even use some nice rubber grommets on the drilled holes, while saving the original plate drill-hole-free for the future. Or maybe I'll just leave the top plate off.
Chapel
Color: White

Post by Chapel »

20160425_181231.jpg
20160425_181231.jpg (95.13 KiB) Viewed 3626 times
20160425_181254.jpg
20160425_181254.jpg (96.21 KiB) Viewed 3626 times
The Givi 43L fitted on

I am 6'1 so while sitting on the bike, the box doesnt look too big
DailyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by DailyRider »

Pictures of what it looks like, if you just take off the removable plate,
without doing any drilling...

The inside (I've put turquoise tape over the remaining unfilled holes):
Inside.jpg
Inside.jpg (230.56 KiB) Viewed 3622 times
With the seat closed:
BoxOn.jpg
BoxOn.jpg (152.19 KiB) Viewed 3622 times
Without the (easily removed) top case:
BoxOff.jpg
BoxOff.jpg (242.96 KiB) Viewed 3622 times
If you look at the current PDF directions, they have separate ones for the 2013 models and the later models
(they have you remove the plate and drill it for the later models, but I didn't)
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Alrighty Johnny and DR, got it! No need to drill. Love that!

And Thanks for adding those great photos DR, visuals are always a Big help!
Ha! it's funny, when I saw your turquoise tape I thought it was a product called "Fun Tack." I smiled thinking, Cool idea! Fun Tack has a similar consistency to clay. It's soft and mold-able. That might work great for those empty holes too. Right now, I have some Black push caps in those two holes.

PROUD
It's always great to see how folks improvise and make things happen! I Love all the ideas folks come up!! :P I tip my hat to Ya'll
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

JonYo wrote:I may actually order a spare one of the removable top plate from the bike so I can drill one and maybe even use some nice rubber grommets on the drilled holes, while saving the original plate drill-hole-free for the future.
I'm liking the way you think :P I have used black rubber grommets for the most unexpected fixes. So many products are out there that can be used beyond their said means. I love stretching the imagination 8)
DailyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by DailyRider »

WhiteNoise wrote: Ha! it's funny, when I saw your turquoise tape I thought it was a product called "Fun Tack." I smiled thinking, Cool idea! Fun Tack has a similar consistency to clay. It's soft and mold-able. That might work great for those empty holes too. Right now, I have some Black push caps in those two holes.

PROUD
It's always great to see how folks improvise and make things happen! I Love all the ideas folks come up!! :P I tip my hat to Ya'll
Yes, something like Fun Tack would have been better, as long as it's relatively waterproof

Would you get that at a marine store or a regular hardware store?
DailyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by DailyRider »

Ahah! I goggled Fun Tack and it's everywhere
And it's waterproof

Good suggestion :-D
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Picture of that "Fun-Tak" stuff (yes, sold everywhere ;) and then some others that "Tak" the same way.
Here Presented by ..... Wally World http://www.walmart.com/search/?query=fun-tak
Coolerman

Post by Coolerman »

I have a 2015 PCX150 and ordered and installed a rear rack. It does requiring drilling through the top plate which was a little tricky as it's not marked where the bolts go. I took a metric bolt and ground one end to a point, set the plate on top, pressed, and it put a dimple underneath, which I drilled out. You can probably find other and better ways to do this but it worked slick for me. The rack is extremely well built and strong.

I designed my own carrier box, and a friend build it for me. I then designed it to be hinged to tilt so I can lift open the seat. The bulk of the weight of the box is on the seat, not the rack extension. It has been fantastic and I've had over 70 pounds load in it and it doesn't flinch. It'll easily carry a 40# propane tank. The box can be removed with two wing nuts in less than a minute. I don't carry passengers so it works for me. As an aside when I asked my friend to make the box I suggested not to be fancy as I wanted to paint it black. Well, he is a master craftsman and made it out of beautiful wood so I couldn't bear to paint it and varnished it instead.
R5050007M.JPG
R5050007M.JPG (135.27 KiB) Viewed 3439 times
R5050006M.JPG
R5050006M.JPG (127.83 KiB) Viewed 3439 times
montliz44
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013,2014
Color: red+redder

Post by montliz44 »

Coolerman, that is excellent and beautiful. Well done! Serious contender for the coveted MacGyver award.

Johnny
One PCX, One Forza -- Twice the fun, half the money!