MPG

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

kjmillig
Year: 2013
Color: Red

MPG

Post by kjmillig »

So I just went through my first tank of gas and averaged just at 70 MPG. I live in a very small town and mostly it's just me. I weigh 225 lbs. Sometimes I take my daughter, at 115 lbs, and we go out a random road, cruising about 55 mph. Sometime the wife and I make short trips, which is over the max weight recommendations.
I also installed a mid-height National Cycle windshield.
So I figure 70 mpg is pretty good.
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: MPG

Post by flyingzonker »

I never get less than 100 mph--but I never have anyone riding pillion. Also, I weigh a good deal less than you do. Also, I avoid speeds greater than 45 on the PCX. I would say my average speed is 35-40.
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

If it's the first tank of gas ever run in the scoot, I can see that kind of number, but in time it should improve. My average is 87 mpg with about 5400 miles on the scoot, but I ride hard and fast (no innuendo intended). If the scoot has some miles on it from a previous owner, it may need to be serviced. Of course, if you're doing things like letting it constantly idle, that can affect mpg also.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
raito
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: matte silver

Post by raito »

70mpg (US) was what I get with a 2008 Kymco Xciting 300R (sold). I am below ideal weight, ride at 60-80kph, 99.9% alone.
ImageImageImage
kjmillig

Post by kjmillig »

It's a new to me 2013 PCX 150 with about 7800 miles in it. What service suggestions can I do myself that might improve mpg? Taking it to a Honda dealer for service would entail finding someone with a trailer to haul it 35 miles on a 75 mph rural Texas road.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

A 2013 will need a complete set of new fluids, engine oil, final drive oil, brake fluid and coolant.
New spark plug, air filter and a valve clearance check wouldn't go amiss either.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

gn2 wrote:A 2013 will need a complete set of new fluids, engine oil, final drive oil, brake fluid and coolant.
New spark plug, air filter and a valve clearance check wouldn't go amiss either.
Seconded.

If you address these things, your fuel economy should improve by quite a bit.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Also check condition of brakes i.e. releasing correctly and pad/shoe wear within acceptable limits.
And check tyre pressures too.
And check condition of suspension and the wheel, steering head and swing arm pivot bearings for wear.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
zanggerk
Year: 2012
Color: black

Post by zanggerk »

kjmillig wrote:So I just went through my first tank of gas and averaged just at 70 MPG. I live in a very small town and mostly it's just me. I weigh 225 lbs. Sometimes I take my daughter, at 115 lbs, and we go out a random road, cruising about 55 mph. Sometime the wife and I make short trips, which is over the max weight recommendations.
you have a PCX, right? Cause for a Forza it would be a little different. Considering that you ride sometimes close to or above the weight limit recommendation and cruise around 55 mph I think that 70 mpg might be okay. I usually have around 100 mpg, but I ride mostly alone. With a passenger I noticed that the mpg goes down quite a bit.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

kjmillig wrote:It's a new to me 2013 PCX 150 with about 7800 miles in it. What service suggestions can I do myself that might improve mpg? Taking it to a Honda dealer for service would entail finding someone with a trailer to haul it 35 miles on a 75 mph rural Texas road.

Just check the oil and ride it. It's only a scooter.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

zanggerk wrote:
kjmillig wrote:So I just went through my first tank of gas and averaged just at 70 MPG. I live in a very small town and mostly it's just me. I weigh 225 lbs. Sometimes I take my daughter, at 115 lbs, and we go out a random road, cruising about 55 mph. Sometime the wife and I make short trips, which is over the max weight recommendations.
you have a PCX, right? Cause for a Forza it would be a little different. Considering that you ride sometimes close to or above the weight limit recommendation and cruise around 55 mph I think that 70 mpg might be okay. I usually have around 100 mpg, but I ride mostly alone. With a passenger I noticed that the mpg goes down quite a bit.
Exactly - servicing would be a good idea, esp. oil and filter but the lower mpg figure is mostly down to speed, fast acceleration and weight carried.
Wingscribe
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016
Color: Steel Grey

Post by Wingscribe »

I am getting consistent 90 mpg from my 2016. I am a similar weight and ride it WoT most of the time (it's all 55 mph speed limit around me).

I agree with my esteemed colleagues above that it might be worth it to have the Honda folks have a look at it, it seems a little low to me.

But opinions are like...elbows - everyone has at least one...

Mike
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019

Post by Alibally »

Check the tyre pressures now and again also.

Sent from my iPad
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

Ah the MPG. What's 70 MPG in the United States can mean 87.5 MPG in the rest of the world. since 1 US Gallon = roughly 0.8 Imperial Gallons.

70 MPG (US) is 3.3 L/100km. Anything more than 60 MPG (US) and the cost of fuel is insignificant IMO. Just put a few bucks in gas in and ride.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Poseidon Black

Post by Eiron »

kjmillig wrote:... So I figure 70 mpg is pretty good.
I agree, for your average speed & total bike load, that's a pretty good mpg. The windscreen does help a bit with mpg (in my own experience with two different Honda scoots).