two more go down this week...

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

two more go down this week...

Post by homie »

I know no one whats to think about it but we had 126 fatalities before two more this week on the expressways. I'm sure it has everything to do with the lack of helmet law here in Illinois and that may change someday.

I like to get more detail on expressway fatalities because that's where I feel the safest, no cross traffic, all going the same direction with barriers and huge emergency and transit lanes to bail too if needed. Friend of my wife's hair dresser was one of the more recent deaths and I set out to understand more.

He was a new biker and failed to notice how quickly traffic can come to a halt on the Eisenhower. His lack of experience on a motorcycle is an easy thing to dismiss as cause of death but not paying attention to the bigger picture and having situation awareness on the expressway beyond the car in front of you is not acceptable. We don't ride like that, even in a car. Be careful out there people. RIP bother
Attachments
mac&chief3.jpg
mac&chief3.jpg (9.1 KiB) Viewed 1923 times
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Re: two more go down this week...

Post by easyrider »

Yes..I agree cross traffic is the most worrisome for me , but an interstate is no place for the pcx.At 65 mph your window of escape has to be instantaneous and any debris , potholes ,oil slick, roofing nails, etc., or any sudden stoppage can be critical. I remember once several of my friends were cruising along I 95 in Fort Lauderdale. For those of you who do not know Fort Lauderdale airport landing runway is right perpendicular to the interstate highway so the planes as they land come in very low as they cross the highway. Out of towners generally panic and think that the plane is going to land on top of them and jam on their brakes. My friends were right behind those newcomers and they all crashed ..Two fatalities and the other 3 are still pretty bad off .. Sooo keep it safe and keep it smart.
Ishkabibble
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by Ishkabibble »

As a rider whose experience is 25 years in the past, it troubles me to read these things, knowing that one split second of indecision or hesitation based on inexperience can be the difference, I hope that no one thinks me arrogant or supercilious in saying that defensive driving is paramount on two wheels. I made up my mind, long before I ever committed to the acquisition, that I would be more defensive on two than I ever am on four. And even my insurance guy says I'm the most defensive driver he's ever been in a vehicle with.

I hope that it's not out of place for me to say "Plan ahead, even before you get on it."
I found something to put here.
Add yourself to the PCX-Forza Owner's Map!
Go here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ULV6Ib-uKsjMpWaPzPwAXmfB7vU&usp=sharing
For instructions how to add yourself go here: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6437#p88888

Be sure to add your Model, year, color, and name if your scoot has one!
PingGam
Year: 2012 PCX
Color: Black

Post by PingGam »

I live in Thailand now, which has about one fifth of the population of the United States, and we average about 45 motor bike deaths per day o_O
Current Scooters
2012 PCX 150 Black
2016 Forza 300 ABS Yellow
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

The one thing that I have noticed throughout my 50 years of riding is that there are riders who are aware of their surroundings and act accordingly, and there are riders who just want to show off, and who have so much false confidence that they become dangerous to themselves and to others. Those types don't usually last very long. What is that saying about pilots? I think it goes something like this: "There old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are very few old, bold pilots." ...I think the same applies to motorcycle riders.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

PingGam wrote:I live in Thailand now, which has about one fifth of the population of the United States, and we average about 45 motor bike deaths per day o_O

Flipping heck o_O
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

you you wrote:
PingGam wrote:I live in Thailand now, which has about one fifth of the population of the United States, and we average about 45 motor bike deaths per day o_O
Flipping heck o_O
I guess they don't have helmet laws either
Embattle
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: Red

Post by Embattle »

Laws and training requirements make a lot of difference to accident and ultimately death rates.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

homie wrote:I know no one whats to think about it but we had 126 fatalities before two more this week on the expressways. I'm sure it has everything to do with the lack of helmet law here in Illinois and that may change someday.

I like to get more detail on expressway fatalities because that's where I feel the safest, no cross traffic, all going the same direction with barriers and huge emergency and transit lanes to bail too if needed. Friend of my wife's hair dresser was one of the more recent deaths and I set out to understand more.

He was a new biker and failed to notice how quickly traffic can come to a halt on the Eisenhower. His lack of experience on a motorcycle is an easy thing to dismiss as cause of death but not paying attention to the bigger picture and having situation awareness on the expressway beyond the car in front of you is not acceptable. We don't ride like that, even in a car. Be careful out there people. RIP bother
I'll be brief. Very Sad indeed
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Embattle wrote:Laws and training requirements make a lot of difference to accident and ultimately death rates.

Really?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

WhiteNoise wrote:
homie wrote:I know no one whats to think about it but we had 126 fatalities before two more this week on the expressways. I'm sure it has everything to do with the lack of helmet law here in Illinois and that may change someday.

I'll be brief. Very Sad indeed

Yes, nothing worse than a hairdressers story.
Embattle
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Embattle »

you you wrote:
Embattle wrote:Laws and training requirements make a lot of difference to accident and ultimately death rates.

Really?
Yes really.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

All it took for me to become defensive is to go down a couple times… You really start to look at riding differently and try to really anticipate what could happen 10- 20 and 50 yards ahead of you. When its wet, im on triple alert. When I turn oand wet , it's almost always perpendicular. I'll postpone the ride if I can. I've had both major bike and car accidents . and you remember them every time You jump on the bike.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

Ishkabibble wrote:As a rider whose experience is 25 years in the past, it troubles me to read these things, knowing that one split second of indecision or hesitation based on inexperience can be the difference, I hope that no one thinks me arrogant or supercilious in saying that defensive driving is paramount on two wheels. I made up my mind, long before I ever committed to the acquisition, that I would be more defensive on two than I ever am on four. And even my insurance guy says I'm the most defensive driver he's ever been in a vehicle with.

I hope that it's not out of place for me to say "Plan ahead, even before you get on it."
This.
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

Mel46 wrote:"There old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are very few old, bold pilots." ...I think the same applies to motorcycle riders.
Very few? How about striking that and replacing it with something like, "no".
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

Jge64 wrote:All it took for me to become defensive is to go down a couple times… You really start to look at riding differently and try to really anticipate what could happen 10- 20 and 50 yards ahead of you. When its wet, im on triple alert. When I turn oand wet , it's almost always perpendicular. I'll postpone the ride if I can. I've had both major bike and car accidents . and you remember them every time You jump on the bike.
Oh yes, there is nothing like going down and getting hurt in the process to wake a body up. I am always completely amazed when I see people on motorized bikes of any description or displacement riding without boots, gloves and helmets. Today I saw a woman--she had to be 55 years old--riding down a back street on a 50cc scooter as bare headed as the day she was born. She felt like a new rider to me. I wanted to shout out to her, "NO NO NO NO". But I am too much of a gentleman for that--in other words, I was afraid she'd think I was getting , what did they used to say?, fresh or something.

Here's the truth: Only greenhorns--you can ride for years and still be one--don't wear helmets, boots and gloves.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Embattle wrote:
you you wrote:

Really?
Yes really.

Gosh!!
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

Came within about 1inch (no kidding) from hitting back of a car the other week, Mondeo infront of me had ZERO backlights, hit brakes as he was late for a turn, and even though I laid on my brakes from 40mph (speed limit of this road) no way I was going to stop, so ended up counter steering to come to a halt alongside his car, with my front wheel alongside his rear.

Given I ride in the 2second mark, it's got me looking up brake upgrades, never been happy with the brakes on my PCX, especially the front.
aka DrewJW
wangsuda
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Silver

Post by wangsuda »

homie wrote:
you you wrote:
Flipping heck o_O
I guess they don't have helmet laws either
I live in Thailand as well. There are helmet laws. But that doesn't mean people wear them. Or drive properly. Most scooter deaths are due to lack of protective gear AND insane driving. I try to drive as defensively as possible and I never drive without donning the protective gear. Yes, the locals do laugh at me but then again, I have never left skin on the asphalt, even after laying my scooter down.

IMO, Thais just cannot drive.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

wangsuda wrote:
I live in Thailand as well. There are helmet laws. But that doesn't mean people wear them. Or drive properly. Most scooter deaths are due to lack of protective gear AND insane driving. I try to drive as defensively as possible and I never drive without donning the protective gear. Yes, the locals do laugh at me but then again, I have never left skin on the asphalt, even after laying my scooter down.
IMO, Thais just cannot drive.
The 45 deaths per day figure is an anomaly associated with Thai New Year (Songkran) which, over a 7 day period, has an excessively high number of deaths. The 2016 average was 41 (40.9) motorcycles per day involved in fatal accidents. During the rest of the year it is much less, but I believe still ridiculously high per capita.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(