ATGATT - it pays to cover up!

Anything and everything not related to anything else on this site.

Moderator: Modsquad

iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

ATGATT - it pays to cover up!

Post by iceman »

This was posted to facebook - apparently sliding on gravel at 25mph wearing just a t-shirt on the top half.
Attachments
11133809_10205680041736619.jpg
11133809_10205680041736619.jpg (33.13 KiB) Viewed 1385 times
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: ATGATT - it pays to cover up!

Post by Mel46 »

It doesn't seem to make a difference to some people that others are getting hurt or killed on bikes because they didn't wear the proper gear. When we ride through these states that do not require a helmet, we see riders in all sorts of "undress" while riding. I have actually seen riders on sport bikes who has on tee shirts with the sleeves cut off, shorts, and flip flops...and no helmet (though they did have a rag on their head). They were going fast enough that they passed us on the freeway while we were doing the speed limit in our car. Since much of the time the speed limits are at or close to 70 mph, I can't imagine what would be left of the rider if he lost control at that speed.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

I'm riding around with two fluorescent mattresses strapped front and back.

Don't get out much though.

I can feel a sanctimonious attack coming on

Let's all feel better together
DailyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2017
Color: Dark blue

Post by DailyRider »

Mel46 wrote:When we ride through these states that do not require a helmet, we see riders in all sorts of "undress" while riding. I have actually seen riders on sport bikes who has on tee shirts with the sleeves cut off, shorts, and flip flops...and no helmet (though they did have a rag on their head). They were going fast enough that they passed us on the freeway while we were doing the speed limit in our car. Since much of the time the speed limits are at or close to 70 mph, I can't imagine what would be left of the rider if he lost control at that speed.
Yup, this is one of those states. They're called "organ donors on the hoof" .

I saw a couple of them doing wheelies in heavy traffic out on the freeway one afternoon.
I can't remember if they were wearing any gear and it wouldn't have mattered anyway.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

you you wrote:I'm riding around with two fluorescent mattresses strapped front and back
I can invision that! OMG, am I as crazy as you?
That made me LOLoud! The things you come out with :lol:

And (I am) a firm believer in atgatt (you know that). I have to look into those mattresses though.
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Ishkabibble
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by Ishkabibble »

Been married 25 years next month.

If I don't keep her happy, I'm never going to be happy.

One of the conditions of acquisition was good gear. I have the helmet already, and the gloves. Boots, I already had. As soon as my jacket arrives, I'll get to ride the thing.
I found something to put here.
Add yourself to the PCX-Forza Owner's Map!
Go here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ULV6Ib-uKsjMpWaPzPwAXmfB7vU&usp=sharing
For instructions how to add yourself go here: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6437#p88888

Be sure to add your Model, year, color, and name if your scoot has one!
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Either all of us scooter riders are riding properly geared for bodily safety. ....or those who are not are keeping properly quiet about it. ?
Good on her and you for being safe.
Fish
DailyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2017
Color: Dark blue

Post by DailyRider »

fish wrote:Either all of us scooter riders are riding properly geared for bodily safety. ....or those who are not are keeping properly quiet about it. ?
Yup, some of us are keeping quiet.
I, myself, have experienced accidents and road rash and given this matter a lot of thought
and often choose to ride without an armored jacket.

I'm giving y'all the benefit of the doubt
that you are posting for the benefit of less experienced riders.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

When my wife and I had our accident last September I was wearing full gear. She just had a hi-vizier vest on, plus boots, gloves, and helmet. We came around a curve at 45 mph...speed limit was 55 mph...just in time to witness a head on collision right in front of us. Our choices were limited. Either we headed for the ditch, dumped our bikes, or ran right into the mess as the parts were flying. My wife headed for the ditch, which cut me off, so I laid down my bike and rolled 40 yards. I got up and went to help my wife. I was fine. She had landed on her left side and broke her shoulder in 4 places. Had she been wearing her jacket she would have walked away with not injuries. Now, after over $70,000 worth of surgery she still does not have full use of her shoulder. Full gear saves more than your life.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:When my wife and I had our accident last September I was wearing full gear. She just had a hi-vizier vest on, plus boots, gloves, and helmet. We came around a curve at 45 mph...speed limit was 55 mph...just in time to witness a head on collision right in front of us. Our choices were limited. Either we headed for the ditch, dumped our bikes, or ran right into the mess as the parts were flying. My wife headed for the ditch, which cut me off, so I laid down my bike and rolled 40 yards. I got up and went to help my wife. I was fine. She had landed on her left side and broke her shoulder in 4 places. Had she been wearing her jacket she would have walked away with not injuries. Now, after over $70,000 worth of surgery she still does not have full use of her shoulder. Full gear saves more than your life.

But full gear didn't save her shoulders.

And 40 yards to stop from 45mph?. Might have been best to simply brake rather than laying the bike down/panic locking the front
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

WhiteNoise wrote:
you you wrote:I'm riding around with two fluorescent mattresses strapped front and back
I can invision that! OMG, am I as crazy as you?
That made me LOLoud! The things you come out with :lol:

And (I am) a firm believer in atgatt (you know that). I have to look into those mattresses though.
Ah but why is the mattress flourescent yellow...?
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

you you wrote:But full gear didn't save her shoulders.

And 40 yards to stop from 45mph?. Might have been best to simply brake rather than laying the bike down/panic locking the front
She wasn't wearing full gear.

Sometimes bailing is the best option. But I guess everything is black and white to you.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

There is a 30-40 something woman at work whose 'gear' is just a helmet to be legal - she rides with short skirts, semi-high hills and no gloves or protective pants and just a short soft jacket on a scooter commuting to and from work (she left the same time as me and I was in disbelief she can be such an idiot - just bare hands let alone the rest!) But hey, it's her life and her look-out. Spend lots of time tarting herself up to look good but pay no heed to the potential to be in an accident and cut up her skin and be scarred and maimed for life.
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

In the summertime, a majority of riders are squids so I'm not really shocked. It's their lives in the end. They seem to thin out as the weather cools down.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

If I had not laid my bike down it would have ended up exactly where it did end up...at the back of the flatbed trailer that one of the small trucks was towing. It had the steel ramps angled up for towing, but I could see in advance that I would have ended up hitting one of those, so I took my chances on the road. I had enough gear on that I figured that if I rolled correctly I would be ok. I kept telling myself 'tuck and roll, tuck and roll'. I have had a few accidents on bikes in my life and have walked away from all of them. Luckily, I have never had one in which I hit a vehicle, and I hope I never do.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150