50cc or 150cc

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

wadaguy
Year: 2014
Color: Red

50cc or 150cc

Post by wadaguy »

So, one of my girls just turned 14 and the other will be there this time next year. They both love scootin with dad, and now they want their own. I started out on a 125, so maybe its the 'dad' in me that thinks I should start them out on the little Metropolitan?! The other part of me says "get them the PCX150!" Help me out.........I am really divided
Attachments
scoot girls.jpg
scoot girls.jpg (36.04 KiB) Viewed 1894 times
Previous Scoot, 2008 Sym RV250
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: 50cc or 150cc

Post by gn2 »

If I had daughters they would be riding Vespas.
I like that Sym, guessing its the RV250?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

No motorbikes until they are married and their kids are off to college ... unnecessary risk for young ladies. See if the wife will go for a boy.
DailyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2017
Color: Dark blue

Post by DailyRider »

I vote for a cute little 50cc Metropolitan
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Get them one each I say
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

My daughter just turned 15 and is eligible for a scooter license (up to 250cc, IIRC).

I saved my PCX150 for her because it is tame enough for a new rider but has enough power to keep up with traffic. Although she'll be limited to riding in our town (a bedroom community of Dallas), speed limits on the main roads go up to 40 mph, with traffic typically going 5 mph faster.

A 50cc scooter wouldn't be able to go that fast and, I believe, would be more dangerous in that case than the PCX. I had a Vino 50 years ago to ride a few blocks from the house to the train station. On the two-lane 40 mph road, I felt very vulnerable going only 25 mph and worried that I was being inconsiderate (it was a no-passing zone stretch of road).

Must admit that I have mixed feelings about my daughter on a motorcycle of any type. On one hand there are the obvious dangers, but in a way, I feel that a scooter is safer than riding a bicycle on the same roads (I commute both by scooter and bicycle to work in town). There's the speed differential issue previously mentioned, as well as the scooter having a better headlight and taillight, turn signals, a horn, better brakes and more "road presence" than a bicycle. In any event, my daughter has already agreed to "all the gear, all the time" including a full-face helmet and armored gear, as well as limitations on when and where and with whom she rides.

Good luck with your decision!
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

In my opinion, a 50cc is dangerously underpowered. I rode mine for 2 weeks before deciding it would end up killing me due to no reserve speed in an emergency.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

JohnL wrote:In my opinion, a 50cc is dangerously underpowered. I rode mine for 2 weeks before deciding it would end up killing me due to no reserve speed in an emergency.

I keep a 50 just for fun and to keep my feet on the ground. Two stroke and 45mph flat out air cooled peugeot speed fight. Smells lovely

OK it might be 80ccs :D
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

Vino 50, only 25mph? Up a hill maybe?
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

My Vino 50: lots of, ahem, dead weight (and don't like riding full throttle with no reserve).
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

There are quite a few 50cc scooters around my area because you do not have to have a license to ride one on the street here. They call them 'Drunk Cycles' because those with DUI'so end up riding get them, as well as the high school kids. They don't have enough power to get up some of these hills, thus backing up traffic. There was a high school kid killed on one of them about a year ago. I would NOT put my daughter on one of those. There are quite a few Vespa scooters around here too, and I have seen some pink ones, so I know that someone's daughters are riding them. If you had to choose, I would say to rent a 50cc to teach them how to ride but buy them either the 125cc or the 150cc PCX. They will look good in the school parking lot, and will give them the reservation email they need to get up the hills. Just be aware of weather. Kids do not know how to ride in bad weather.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

That's pretty scary. 49cc riders here in BC must hold at minimum a novice drivers license, and I believe in Canada it's either some sort of Step 2 license if the province has a graduated licensing program or a full drivers license. And despite their knowledge with driving, a lot of them still show obvious incompetencies on two wheels that motorcycle license holders don't tend to show. I'd hate to see someone without any road knowledge being on the road, aside from kids on bicycles.

Heck, I would say that a handful of older riders do stupid things on their bikes. I guess back in the days, motorcycle licensing was way less stringent.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
DailyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by DailyRider »

Sometimes the 50cc scooters are "restricted" so they can qualify as mopeds, which makes them even more underpowered. That may explain the different experiences.

If I had daughters, I wouldn't want them riding in busy and rapid traffic until they were skilled riders.
...But some places you can't travel very far on quiet safe routes. There, a 150 and carefully supervised training might be better.
Brent
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by Brent »

150cc would be my vote.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Do your girls have lots of bicycle experience, I mean, do they Really love bicycle riding?
I was connected at the hip to all of mine. Always riding. I rode them like I stole them but respected each one knowing of their potential danger. Oh yeah, I took my spills, quite a few bad (totally my fault). Learned from those accident's, dusted myself off and off I'd go again :P I kept my peddlers like new and they were as mechanically fit as I could make them. My pre-car(s) you might say.

Point is learning should come first:
Balance, speeds, turning, braking, head checks, road surface changes, weather, signals, respect for 2 wheels and others vehicles around you, following laws..where to ride your peddler, where not to, and all along gaining Muscle memory. I'm sure I'm overlooking other benefits, I think ya'll get where I'm going with this.

My belief: Children should not be riding a motorbike of any size cc till they have steadily and safely ridden a bicycle and the parent(s) feel they have gained the proper knowledge and skills from doing so.
Age matters. Maturity matters. How old is old enough to you? I would say maybe 17?
Girls or Boys? Hmm...might have to re-think and divide the two as far as riding... Not sure on that.

Give this serious thought. You're the parent, they are teens anxious to "do it all" and "overnight!"
If anything were to happen to them because you made the wrong decision....could you live with that?

Some books I've read suggest that dirt bikes are the way to learn on motorbikes (after step 1,....that's bicycle riding). Some riders have said the same. IDK, I never rode a dirt bike, but I bet they're rip roaring fun! Soo tempting, even with me bad back. I'll re-think that.

Okay, I over did my stay here.
As always listen to your inner self, there lies your answer. Maybe your wife's too :D
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Bash On! wrote:My Vino 50: lots of, ahem, dead weight (and don't like riding full throttle with no reserve).

It's great!! Don't brake

EVER :D
CelticCross
Year: 2011
Color: Gray

Post by CelticCross »

For an urban setting, I go for the 50cc. For anything else, a 125-150cc scooter for a new rider. If she was my daughter, she would also need to pass a motorcycle safety course. As a parent, I would still worry about her safety but with an ATGATT attitude and safety training, I'd feel so much better. For some reason, I worried like crazy when my daughter was learning to drive a car but had no worries when she was on the same streets on her bicycle. Let us know what you decide.

Have fun and ride safe!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

The one thing that I have noticed about the kids riding around here on motorcycles, scooters, and mopeds is that almost none of them are wearing much more than a helmet, which is required by law. Yesterday I saw a rider with his girlfriend on behind him zooming through traffic at a high rate of speed. He was on one of those 'sport bikes'....rice rockets. What were they wearing? Hmmm, well let's see now, helmet as required...check...flip flops...check....shorts...check....tee shirt...check...gloves???...why should he wear those...so, nope. If he had lost control, the girl would have been toast. She had a tank top on with short shorts and flip flops. Only her head would have been protected. She is obviously somebody's daughter. I just have to wonder if they know or care what she is up to.
If you are going to buy your daughters a scooter, make sure that they understand what happens when they have an accident. Walking away is not as easy to do as it is when you have a car accident. Sometimes you never walk again.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
DailyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by DailyRider »

I was so upset today.

Passed a young lady on a moped who was a probably USC student, wearing NO gear
and holding her iPhone up in front of her in order to text, WHILE she was riding.

Arghhhh! :x
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

DailyRider wrote:I was so upset today.

Passed a young lady on a moped who was a probably USC student, wearing NO gear
and holding her iPhone up in front of her in order to text, WHILE she was riding.

Arghhhh! :x
Whilst

Are you an android fan?