And yet another windscreen topic

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

KonyaB
Year: 2015 PCX 125
Color: Black

And yet another windscreen topic

Post by KonyaB »

Hello guys!

It's been a while i have posted or replied on this forum, but life is going on, lots of work and also lots of riding in my spare time.
I just reached 3000 miles with my 2015 PCX, i've done 1100 miles since 8th of February, the day of the purchase. You can tell i'm using it a lot.

I'm a tall rider, 6'2", and in this thousand miles i learned something, the wind turbulence is horrible, all of the wind goes straight to my chest, wanting to blow me off from the bike. It also goes on my neck and helmet on windier days.

I've read most but not all of the reviews about Givi screens, ans all sorts that available for this bike, but so far i haven't find one good review, as all of them were written by a lot shorter riders. No offense, i'm being the giraffe here, my shame. :)

So i though i ask you, Which windscreen would you suggest to a tall motorcyclist? I either want a tall one which i can just about to see above the top (no way it would be taller than where my head is positioned), or a shorter one, but i want the wind off my chest. With a shorter one i would mainly go for the looks of it, i just think the original screen just doesn't look good on this bike.
So the point is to get off the wind of my chest, but i would not like to have lots of wind on my face either.
Currently owns: 2015 Honda PCX 125 & 2006 Yamaha YBR 125
db22
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015

Re: And yet another windscreen topic

Post by db22 »

At the risk of provoking another round of levity at its appearance, I am very happy with the extra-tall National Cycle windshield. As I noted elsewhere, I'm only 5'10", but have altered my bike's seat to move me up and back a couple of inches, and that windshield stops the wind all the way up to my face, yet I can still see over the top of it. As tall as you are, there are not many other options. Just be prepared for some forum members to liken your bike to a Triceratops, or the alien queen from the movies.
I may be goin' to hell in a bucket, but at least I'm enjoyin' the ride...
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

There is no magic bullet here. I am 5 11 and the National screen is very good considering . Yes some wind over the top but not nearly as bad without it. It helps a lot. As far as getting blown all around, I know the feeling. At 6 feet + - its going to get ya!.. Will blow you around and no getting away from it. just a light bike and a tall profile ..just like a sail boat..In windy conditions I just keep the speed down..more enjoyable that way.Doing 50-55 and a 30 -40 mile crosswind hits you and wants to blow you into oncoming lane its gets annoying.
KonyaB

Post by KonyaB »

I will take a look on that...Or....Is it possible if You could send me the link for that windscreen, please? :)

Today in Wiltshire county, United Kingdom we have horrible weather, it's raining and we have that 40-50 MPH winds.. Fortunately enough it's not blowing me to the opposite side :D I decided to lean slightly into the wind, it was scary, but it worked. I really need a windscreen as sometimes wind is just blowing me off the bike... :D

Cheers,
Ben
adamwramage
Year: 2015
Color: Red

Post by adamwramage »

Any chance you could all post some pics of your scoots with screens? Just got deep red 2015 PCX150 and in Australia so heading into winter. Have great wet gear but protection can be nice too
Carl
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016
Color: White

Post by Carl »

I've been meaning to update my diary thread with my experience of the Givi 1130ST tall windscreen. I've had it on the bike a week and done about 100 miles.

I'm also 6 foot 2 and got the windscreen as I use my PCX to commute 60 miles a day so want as much comfort as possible.

I've pinched this pic off the net. Will get around to taking some of my actual bike.

Red line - line of sight. Annoyingly I look about 2 inches above the top of the screen. This was annoying at first but I've got used to it. The lack of wind on your chest more than makes up for it. I can have my visor up or cracked and ride without to much wind in my eyes. Oddly I get lots more noise if I completely close the visor.

Green line - duck slightly under the top of the screen... It's very quiet and calm. All you can hear is the engine. At 6-2 this hurts your back after 10 mins! Its lovely though. If I was 5-6 this would be a brilliant.

Blue line - COLD!!! Now I get a chill on my back where I didn't before. I might have, but I notice it much more now. Screen creates an odd back draft.

Hands are nicely protected.

Bike feels quicker, but I think this sensation is due to the lack of wind hitting your body. MPG has gone up from 118 to 122 (uk) mpg. I'm noticing crosswinds more and at 60 the bike does blow around more.

I'm 90% happy with it. If I found a slightly taller one it would be binned!

Finally, if you do buy one, please read up on how to remove the faring. It's only 2 screws, but on the 2015+ model you pull the plastic forward. I'd seen a 2013 demo and that one pulls up so tried doing that and split the lovely new faring. Gutted and waiting for a new one to turn up from Thailand - £19 mistake! Honda wanted £54 so happy to wait!!
KonyaB

Post by KonyaB »

Wow Carl, thank you for this reply, it helped a lot. Also, knowing that we make a giraffe herd makes me feel better. :)

So basically it does what it promises, it gets off the wind from the chest but if i sit completely straight (as i would normally do - i don't want a bent spine) then it goes on my helmet. I also have a helmet cam, so for me that matters too.

I had an idea, which is only simple aerodinamics; How about somehow making/putting a bent section on the very top of the windscreen? What i mean is that it would go up totally vertically at the top which would steer the wind away from the head.
Maybe not so vertical, but i guess you get the idea what i'm talking about. It's just an idea, but be reasonable, it would hell of a lot cheaper option than buying a different tall windshield.

Cold air hitting my back is not a problem, 80% of my rides i'm wearing a backpack which can keep my back warm.
I'm also using the bike a lot, not 60 miles a day, but in 7 weeks i've done 1100 miles since i have my PCX.

Crosswinds more sensible with this windshield? Bike moving around? Not the best news, but obviously that's a disadvantage of having basically a wall on the front of the bike.

Anyways, i stop sharing my thoughts as it's getting late, thank you Carl, you helped me a lot, i might go for this Givi tall screen next week. ;)

Cheers,
Ben
Robert R
Regular User
Regular User
Year: S-wing 2014

Post by Robert R »

Posted on another thread re this.http://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/MRA_X-c ... ector.html
Have it on my S wing. Superb piece of kit.
RTFM!!!!!!!!!!!!
Carl
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016

Post by Carl »

No worries Ben. The wind will hit the top of your helmet (oooh errr) whilst more comfy than not having one it does buffet about abit.

The crosswinds have probably been there all along you just feel them more as the dynamics of the bike are changed. Some more practice and I hope to be back to where I was. The bike is definatley more aerodynamic with the screen as it takes longer to slow down with it. Before as soon as you wound in the throttle it would slow.

I like the look of the visor linked above and have seen on in a different thread. Although it cost more than the windscreen!

The other thing to consider with an additional visor is how much it would flap about in your line of sight. The top of the screen is quite wobbly. Dont know if it would take the extra weight?

There is another thread on here where someone has added some black tape to strenghen it. Might see if I can get hold of some but like the clear edges of the current setup.
RRocket

Post by RRocket »

Robert R wrote:Posted on another thread re this.http://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/MRA_X-c ... ector.html
Have it on my S wing. Superb piece of kit.
Link to other thread? I'd love more info about this!

Thanks!
Robert R
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Robert R »

Other thread I just put up same link to supplier. Info on site is fairly comprehensive.
My own experience, for what it is worth is, my screen is about mid neck height on me. Wind noise and buffeting were uncomfortable on journeys longer than 30 miles. Fitted this doohickey and am very pleased. No more need for earplugs. Visor up riding is pleasant even in rain. Buffeting non existent.
There is no measurable difference in economy.
There is still enough air movement to prevent fogging of visor on cold mornings.
No effect at all on handling in cross winds, the S-wing however is appreciably heavier and more stable in wind than the PCX so this may be a factor to consider.
RTFM!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I am not familiar with this particular item, but there have been suggestions that for taller riders, after installing the tall windscreen (any manufacturer), you should install The Saeng Micro Swirl edging at the top of it, which should break up the wind flow at the top just enough so that it would go over your head. I am considering it for my bike, though I am only 5'10" and have the tall Givi windshield on mine. The wind right now hits my helmet about mid-helmet, so some of that edging should give me a very peaceful ride.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Let's see...
A few screen deflector's can be seen on this page @ Revzilla. Just to give you an idea of what's "out there" and available:
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/puig ... reen-visor

Another, is a Saeng product:
https://www.saeng.com/subcategory.php?category=51

Here's the Saeng micro swirl that Mel mentioned:
https://www.saeng.com/category.php?category=80

I'll add, that I have read good reviews about the Saeng micro swirl on our forums and other forums. Crazy right, how a bit of trim along ones screen can make a difference. Fascinating 8)

Hope some of this helps and doesn't confuse matters more (it can happen) :D
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
KonyaB

Post by KonyaB »

Hello guys,

I have ordered 3 days ago a tall screen from North West Motorcycles in UK, this morning i got an e-mail that they don't have the item on stock and Givi can't provide one in a short period of time. It's kinda weird, but hell, they offered me a refund so i'll go for it.
I was hoping on my 5th of April tour i could use my tall screen, but well..... Nope! :)

I'll see if there's any other shops selling it..
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Have you checked into that National Cycle extra tall ones availability? I don't now where it is sold. Also, I noticed that they have now started shipping the Givi tall windshield. I had a replacement on order and it just arrived. You might check around to see if anyone has one in stock, or check on the internet, especially those websites that may be in your region. Don't give up. Someone has them. You just have to determine who. Since the GIVI ones are made in Italy, they would be easy enough to contact.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

What you need to do is learn that moving through air at speed is to be enjoyed.
Why get a bike/scooter then try to remove the wind blast?
It would be like having a night on the sofa with Holly Willoughby only with a big perspex partition in between.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

LOL.. That would depend ..... to you it might be Holly Willoughby on a sofa , to another it might be Whoopy Goldberg .. Yikes !!!!
RRocket

Post by RRocket »

Robert R wrote:Other thread I just put up same link to supplier. Info on site is fairly comprehensive.
My own experience, for what it is worth is, my screen is about mid neck height on me. Wind noise and buffeting were uncomfortable on journeys longer than 30 miles. Fitted this doohickey and am very pleased. No more need for earplugs. Visor up riding is pleasant even in rain. Buffeting non existent.
There is no measurable difference in economy.
There is still enough air movement to prevent fogging of visor on cold mornings.
No effect at all on handling in cross winds, the S-wing however is appreciably heavier and more stable in wind than the PCX so this may be a factor to consider.
Would love to see photos on your S Wing.
Robert R
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Robert R »

Will post some pics of mods so far over the weekend. :D
RTFM!!!!!!!!!!!!
Robert R
Regular User
Regular User