My New 2013 Honda PCX 150

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Roberto
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014
Color: Black

My New 2013 Honda PCX 150

Post by Roberto »

Hi all,

I have just purchased a new, no mileage 2013 PCX 150 from a woman who bought it because of its looks, and then decided that she really didn't want to ride on the roads at all. It has been sitting in her garage since 2014.

It has zero miles on it. Should I change the oil? Anything else?

Thanks,

Roberto
Abi in pace
db22
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015

Re: My New 2013 Honda PCX 150

Post by db22 »

Roberto, good find! Yes, I would recommend an oil change to start, based just on the age of the oil in the crankcase. The amount is so small that it hardly figures as an expense. Glad you found a good bike, hopefully at a good price! Post a photo!
I may be goin' to hell in a bucket, but at least I'm enjoyin' the ride...
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013

Post by honkerman »

db22 wrote:Roberto, good find! Yes, I would recommend an oil change to start, based just on the age of the oil in the crankcase. The amount is so small that it hardly figures as an expense. Glad you found a good bike, hopefully at a good price! Post a photo!
An oil change would not be amiss, and you should also check the brake fluid and coolant, drain the fuel tank and put fresh gas in it.

You'll still want to do the 600 mile service when the time comes as well, just to make sure everything is right with the bike.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

That was a great find! It reminds me of the Burgman 400 I had purchased, which also has no miles put on it by the owner. I had it trailered to the dealer for full service.
As Honkerman suggested, I am not sure how dependable the gas is that has been sitting in it for all that time. I would not trust it. I would suggest getting a syphon and taking most of the old gas out of the tank. They drained my fuel at the shop and put new fuel in before running it. Also have the brake fluid checked to be sure it is still good. It should be drained and replaced. The valves may have to be adjusted also. Why don't you just pony up the money to have the shop service it, like I did? They can check all the things I have forgotten to tell you about. You wouldn't want to mess up that pretty new bike by running bad stuff through it.
By the way, what color is your new bike?
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Roberto
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Roberto »

db22 wrote:Roberto, good find! Yes, I would recommend an oil change to start, based just on the age of the oil in the crankcase. The amount is so small that it hardly figures as an expense. Glad you found a good bike, hopefully at a good price! Post a photo!
Thanks, db22, I am really excited! I got my faithful Ruckus on Craig's List. I hope it sells quickly. Yes, I will change the oil. Do you have an oil recommendation?
Abi in pace
Roberto
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Roberto »

honkerman wrote:
An oil change would not be amiss, and you should also check the brake fluid and coolant, drain the fuel tank and put fresh gas in it.

You'll still want to do the 600 mile service when the time comes as well, just to make sure everything is right with the bike.
Thanks, honkerman, ok. Good suggestions. Will do. Thank you.
Abi in pace
Roberto
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Roberto »

Mel46 wrote:That was a great find! It reminds me of the Burgman 400 I had purchased, which also has no miles put on it by the owner. I had it trailered to the dealer for full service.
As Honkerman suggested, I am not sure how dependable the gas is that has been sitting in it for all that time. I would not trust it. I would suggest getting a syphon and taking most of the old gas out of the tank. They drained my fuel at the shop and put new fuel in before running it. Also have the brake fluid checked to be sure it is still good. It should be drained and replaced. The valves may have to be adjusted also. Why don't you just pony up the money to have the shop service it, like I did? They can check all the things I have forgotten to tell you about. You wouldn't want to mess up that pretty new bike by running bad stuff through it.
By the way, what color is your new bike?
You know, you are right. I think that's exactly what I will do.
Abi in pace
Roberto
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Roberto »

Oh, btw, the color is black. I need to spiff it up a bit (it's a bit dusty), and then I'll post some photos. :)
Abi in pace
DailyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2017
Color: Dark blue

Post by DailyRider »

Does anyone know if they use a different oil for the break-in period,
before the 1st (600 mile) service?
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Amazing story! Congratulations for saving that PCX from eternal storage. Get some miles on her as some will say that super low mileage borders on abuse in the street bike world. You should be looking at the front tire watching for any visual irregularity and balance when under speed. I don't imagine the rear tire to be damaged after 3 long years since it was off the ground on the C-stand (I hope). Probably not a worry because PCX's don't weigh in like big bikes do and this is easily fixed with a new tire if it has suffered the same contact point to the ground for so long. We prefer to store our bikes wheels up with reduced PSI in long term storage as a rule.

Again congrats on getting set up for the spring and summer season bro :)
Roberto
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Roberto »

homie wrote:Amazing story! Congratulations for saving that PCX from eternal storage. Get some miles on her as some will say that super low mileage borders on abuse in the street bike world. You should be looking at the front tire watching for any visual irregularity and balance when under speed. I don't imagine the rear tire to be damaged after 3 long years since it was off the ground on the C-stand (I hope). Probably not a worry because PCX's don't weigh in like big bikes do and this is easily fixed with a new tire if it has suffered the same contact point to the ground for so long. We prefer to store our bikes wheels up with reduced PSI in long term storage as a rule.

Again congrats on getting set up for the spring and summer season bro :)
Thanks, homie, I'll check out the tires. Yeah, I was determined to get a PCX 150 before the really good weather comes. I rode it around the block (it's not registered yet in Virginia), and, compared to my Ruckus, it flies! I love it.
Abi in pace
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Roberto! Fabulous find congrats!! :P

Yes, do what Mel said. Let a Honda shop perform a thorough exam. Have them report their findings, then give them the yeh or neh to carry on with the fix(es). Spend now and have peace of mind knowing that your riding a safe machine. Your job is to ride, and keep yourself as safe as possible while doing so. More about that later, let's get your New 2 You scoot ready first!

Yeah Baby! This is Exciting!! 8)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Roberto wrote:Hi all,

I have just purchased a new, no mileage 2013 PCX 150 from a woman who bought it because of its looks, and then decided that she really didn't want to ride on the roads at all. It has been sitting in her garage since 2014.

It has zero miles on it. Should I change the oil? Anything else?

Thanks,

Roberto
No. Just ride it. Dont listen to the well meaning over anxious or youll end up using it as much as its previous owner
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

homie wrote:We prefer to store our bikes wheels up with reduced PSI in long term storage as a rule
Really? Why? Where did you read this homie? If this is true, I have been doing it wrong with all my tires over the many years (motorcycles, scooters, bicycles, and wheelbarrow). At the moment, I have 13 tires that I keep fully inflated "to spec psi" during storage periods. Okay, sometimes the wheelbarrow gets a miss but the rest of them are checked and topped off if necessary. Me Anal? :roll:

I ask ya'll, am I doing this wrong?
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Roberto
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Roberto »

WhiteNoise wrote:Roberto! Fabulous find congrats!! :P

Yes, do what Mel said. Let a Honda shop perform a thorough exam. Have them report their findings, then give them the yeh or neh to carry on with the fix(es). Spend now and have peace of mind knowing that your riding a safe machine. Your job is to ride, and keep yourself as safe as possible while doing so. More about that later, let's get your New 2 You scoot ready first!

Yeah Baby! This is Exciting!! 8)
Thanks, WhiteNoise, I am really pleased. It took me a full month of checking every source within a 400 mile radius of my house, and negotiating with at least 15 individuals and dealers, before I stumbled on this lucky find.

I guess the proverb is true: Seek and Ye shall find.
Abi in pace
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

WhiteNoise wrote:
homie wrote:We prefer to store our bikes wheels up with reduced PSI in long term storage as a rule
Really? Why? Where did you read this homie?
Other forums, not sure why but it's little effort and peace of mind to do it when storing for years at a time. Might explain an entire market of front and rear jack lifts available for motorcycles, but again scooters bicycles and wheel barrows don't weigh in much.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Found some info and Michelin has recommendations for storage too. Apparently its moisture from dirt, sand, gravel, grass that can cause "tire set" when left for long periods of time. In addition never leave the rubber on asphalt for years. Solutions range from parking on plywood, polished concrete, special mats, carpet and of course STANDS, which in that case you can release some PSI. I was incorrect about tire pressure for long term tire storage under weight, air them up to the maximum PSI. Cars, trucks, RV's, motorcycles should take notice but I don't think lighter vehicles are as much affected by the issue... so my bothers, forget about it 8)
Roberto
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Roberto »

[quote="Roberto"]Hi all,

Update: Here's a photo of the bike. It still has West Virginia plates. I'll have new plates later this week.
Attachments
MyNewBike4.jpg
MyNewBike4.jpg (156.74 KiB) Viewed 1412 times
Abi in pace
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

Roberto wrote:
Roberto wrote:Hi all,

Update: Here's a photo of the bike. It still has West Virginia plates. I'll have new plates later this week.
Ooh, nice, love the windscreen.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

DailyRider wrote:Does anyone know if they use a different oil for the break-in period,
before the 1st (600 mile) service?
I'd assume they use basic Honda oil. There really is no reason to use anything else. Some say use a half synth oil the first couple changes, then switch to full synth...wars have been waged over this topic...I do not wish to die on that field. :lol:
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube