Regular Long Distance Riding

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

outlander
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Regular Long Distance Riding

Post by outlander »

I have a weekly round trip to make on the weekend. 225 mile one way, I figuire I can do it at 60mph at 4 hours. Would this be bad for the scooter? I also have a v strom 1000 but I'm curious to see if the pcx can do it. What are your thoughts?
fantasy2c
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Regular Long Distance Riding

Post by fantasy2c »

People on here have done similar, I've rode mine for around 3 hours between going through towns and running 50-60 and the only thing I feel it ever hurt was the gas milage which drops to around 70 area when running those speeds on average. Pcx has a pretty great motor and it incredibly reliable
2015 pcx with NYC variator and faceplate and 13g NYC rollers
MikeP
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: White /red

Post by MikeP »

I think nothing of doing a 500km road trip for a day. Of the 24,000km I have on my scoot, at least 6,000 of them are from such trips.

For me I would think nothing of it. Just go for it. :D
Happiness is two wheels and a full tank of gas!
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Red

Post by flyingzonker »

It probably wouldn't destroy the scooter, but at 60 mph the PCX is too light to feel comfortably stable--for me anyway.I think it is meant to be an about town machine--it is happier between 35 to50 mph, happiest, I find, doing 45. But this opinion may owe something to an idiosyncrasy of mine.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Don't forget that the PCX has a limited range between fill ups, so you would be getting off of the bike to fuel up several times. I know that the 2015 PCX has a longer range, but I don't know if it can make that distance. Aside from that, even with the custom seat on ours, the long trips are tiring due to how light they are. The vibrations from the road make putting a dash cam on your bike impossible, so imagine how you would feel. We have taken the bikes on longer rides than that, but that doesn't mean that we were not a ready for a stop every time it was time to fill up. I love my PCX, but I traded down from my Burgman 400 because most of my riding now is in and around town. For long road trips, that 400 was great. It was meant for those types of runs. The PCX was not, though it can do it.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Tom192
Regular User
Regular User
Color: red

Post by Tom192 »

Don't forget to check your oil before you set off!
RichyP
Regular User
Regular User

Post by RichyP »

flyingzonker wrote:It probably wouldn't destroy the scooter, but at 60 mph the PCX is too light to feel comfortably stable--for me anyway.I think it is meant to be an about town machine--it is happier between 35 to50 mph, happiest, I find, doing 45. But this opinion may owe something to an idiosyncrasy of mine.
yeah gotta agree with you on this, i have found my PCX is happiest at 50 and would do it all day, but then also, I have done longruns on it with no issues. with the riding position i find i give up before the bike ever does
Embattle
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: Red

Post by Embattle »

You do feel the benefits you have in built up areas become the negatives at higher speeds.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

[quote="flyingzonker"]It probably wouldn't destroy the scooter, but at 60 mph the PCX is too light to feel comfortably stable--for me anyway.I think it is meant to be an about town machine--it is happier between 35 to50 mph, happiest, I find, doing 45. But this opinion may owe something to an idiosyncrasy of mine.[/quote

Exactly... 60 mph for an extended time is tiring, on ass and hands.. PCX is designed for commuting but can do highway if necessary. I also think that little motor could handle it , but its longevity will be compromised over time.Thats a lot of revs for one cylinder.
I also think 45 mph is a nice riding speed for this bike , but 35 is even better for exploring and gazing about. Its a nimble little bike and that is what makes it fun to ride IMHO.
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

"I also think 45 mph is a nice riding speed for this bike , but 35 is even better for exploring and gazing about. "

Exactly. I ride locally on roads with 35-40 mph posted speeds. Folks tend to go 5 mph over, so the PCX is perfectly suited.
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
DeaninMilwaukee
Regular User
Regular User
Color: black

Post by DeaninMilwaukee »

At redline the pcx only has a 3600 fpm piston speed. That is not a high number and most of the time it will actually be lower since you aren't topped out on the rev limiter.

I doubt you can really hurt it just by riding on the hwy. It simply doesn't rev high enough.
db22
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by db22 »

flyingzonker wrote:It probably wouldn't destroy the scooter, but at 60 mph the PCX is too light to feel comfortably stable--for me anyway.I think it is meant to be an about town machine--it is happier between 35 to 50 mph, happiest, I find, doing 45. But this opinion may owe something to an idiosyncrasy of mine.
+1 on that! I rode a short distance on a divided 4-lane expressway today, to connect with another road that couldn't be reached any other way. On the ramp, the bike accelerated to 60mph without difficulty, but in the right lane with auto traffic whipping by on my left 10 to 30 mph faster, I really understood the difference between my PCX and the last bike I rode, which was 120 pounds heavier and rated at 50hp. Two miles was enough -- I was very happy to reach the off ramp and reduce my speed to 35mph.
I may be goin' to hell in a bucket, but at least I'm enjoyin' the ride...
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

I travel about 70 miles on my PCX two or more days every week, depending on the weather. Some weeks it's five days. I've put over 4800 miles on it since I got it in August. May not be as long distance as some, but it's a lot of miles, some weeks I put over 400 miles on the machine. Seems to hold up well.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

honkerman wrote: I've put over 4800 miles on it since I got it in August. ... Seems to hold up well.
1147 miles on mine since I got it in August--2013. Holding up well, also. ;)
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
Roberto
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014

Post by Roberto »

That's good to know. I plan on a couple of long trips from Virginia to the No. Carolina barrier islands this summer. I'm mapping all the back roads. Hopefully I can stay off the highways.
Abi in pace
nbuss14

Post by nbuss14 »

I just bought mine on 4/3/2016 in Springfield, MO and drove it home to Saint louis, MO. That is a 3 and a half hour highway drive. I have no experience with any other bike to compare it to but it was a rough ride at times. The wind was very calm but even so it felt very wobbly some of the time. However, a good part of the time it was very smooth and the only complaint I had was my ass starting to get sore. I do not plan on doing long trips like that unnecessarily but it was totally capable of it.