Michelin City-Grip Tires

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

foggyhelmet
Regular User
Regular User

Michelin City-Grip Tires

Post by foggyhelmet »

So I've been riding on these Michelin tires for about 7-8 months now. Traction great, drives great, corners well. Most everything is fine.

When I ride on grooved or ridged roads, the front Michelin has this tendency to snake. There is no performance problem, but as I try to keep a good feel for the road, this snaking can be temporarily unsettling.

Does anyone have Michelin City Grip tires on the front and do you have the same issue on grooved surfaces?
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: Michelin City-Grip Tires

Post by homie »

If the grooves or ridges are in parallel with the direction traveling there is no slender bike tire that won't spook you... part of the fun of motor bikes. It might be lessened by wider sizes but on a steel grated bridge you are going to have to relax and season yourself to the situation. Your worst possibility is over reaction to the sensation.

I have a favorite bridge like this... LETS RIDE!
Sasso
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by Sasso »

It's just skinny tires I think. I get the same have Pirelli Diablos.
foggyhelmet
Regular User
Regular User

Post by foggyhelmet »

homie wrote:If the grooves or ridges are in parallel with the direction traveling there is no slender bike tire that won't spook you... part of the fun of motor bikes. It might be lessened by wider sizes but on a steel grated bridge you are going to have to relax and season yourself to the situation. Your worst possibility is over reaction to the sensation.

100% correct. That sensation is even harder to resist if you think something else is broken on the bike-or worse, black ice. I am completely adjusted to the sensation by now, but that's also what worries me ultimately is I become so used to it, that is exactly where something happens that I ignore. A little freaked-outedness helps keep the senses primed.

Same concept as decelerating versus braking I suppose.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

foggyhelmet wrote:
homie wrote:If the grooves or ridges are in parallel with the direction traveling there is no slender bike tire that won't spook you... part of the fun of motor bikes. It might be lessened by wider sizes but on a steel grated bridge you are going to have to relax and season yourself to the situation. Your worst possibility is over reaction to the sensation.

100% correct. That sensation is even harder to resist if you think something else is broken on the bike-or worse, black ice. I am completely adjusted to the sensation by now, but that's also what worries me ultimately is I become so used to it, that is exactly where something happens that I ignore. A little freaked-outedness helps keep the senses primed.

Same concept as decelerating versus braking I suppose.
What is?
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

We have a section of road near us being prepped for new bitumen. They have run the groover (no idea what it's really called), over the old surface, and it's amazing the feedback you feel through your hands and the cheeks of your bum.

It certainly keeps you on your toes, which is fairly difficult as you try to stay seated on your bike. :D :D
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

Even on a bigger bike, grooved roads are not your friend.

I remember riding on PA33 between Stroudsburg and Allentown on my VF750S when they had recently scraped the road surface. My son was with me and it was so bad we had to stop and take back roads awhile. Here in PA, you will often see signs specifically warning motorcyclists of grooved pavement. any front motorcycle tire (especially if properly inflated) will have trouble on grooved pavement, but higher aspect ratio tires will be even worse because there is even less tire surface in contact with the road.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

In today's over zealous world of regulated safetyness it is incredible we even get to ride two wheels on public streets at all. Trusted to judge speed and natural forces in turns under all road and weather conditions we are practically a menace to society by today's standards. Risking life and limb to ourselves and insurance companies paying out millions in legal suits, even more in the face of PC irresponsibility by having no airbag, seat belt or safety net of any kind LOL.

Count our blessing brothers, this freedom would seem to be the only one that breaks all the rules and isn't under fire yet. Do you see many motorcycles in futuristic movies other than the original Battle Star Galactica? hmmmmm we are screwed
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

homie wrote:In today's over zealous world of regulated safetyness it is incredible we even get to ride two wheels on public streets at all. Trusted to judge speed and natural forces in turns under all road and weather conditions we are practically a menace to society by today's standards. Risking life and limb to ourselves and insurance companies paying out millions in legal suits, even more in the face of PC irresponsibility by having no airbag, seat belt or safety net of any kind LOL.

Count our blessing brothers, this freedom would seem to be the only one that breaks all the rules and isn't under fire yet. Do you see many motorcycles in futuristic movies other than the original Battle Star Galactica? hmmmmm we are screwed
Tron.

Mad Max
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

honkerman wrote: Tron
Mad Max
I think state and government 'regulation' was the key word. One is worlds end and the other was a toon :lol: