Pcx 150 drain bolt

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Carpathian hawk

Re: Pcx 150 drain bolt

Post by Carpathian hawk »

Maddiedog, it is OK...all people could have bad moments, bad reactions...it is important that finally we can understand each other and get both of us advantages of our comunication.

I guess the problem is to me, due to the fact that I can't manage very well a foreign language; be sure I am ok in my native romanian...

So, what I say is that in the Operating Manual is it specified to use Honda HP4 M 10w-30 JASO MB; this is not a full-synthetic oil; it is a mixture of mineral oil and synthetic(synthetic oil is not the same with full-synthetic oil...synthetic oil could be oil of synthese blended oils named so...). Here is a descriptions of recommended oil by Honda:

"Pro Honda HP4M
A synthetic/mineral oil blend that combines the very best qualities
of both types, HP4M also features a comprehensive additive package
and friction-reducing molybdenum compound for smoother shifting,
maximum fuel economy and peak horsepower. HP4M… the Pro
Honda oil good enough to win a multitude of AMA National roadracing
championships as well as the grueling Baja 500 and 1000."

So you are right Maddiedog, "The stock oil is a synthetic blend, it recommends that oil or equivalent". I know the Motul 300v is full-synthetic oil, not a synthetic blend!!!...In my opinion full synthetic oil is better to be used in the mature part of an engine life, after the engine get stable parameters for a long time (after 5000-8000 km to 1.000.000 km).

What I intendend to say about 5w-60 was that is not recommended even APARENTLY someone could consider ok having a so large ecart and be more expensive. You are right this is not appropriate.

The God gave me two ears and one single mouth....I will try to read more (double) than I will write! so I will minimise the number of mistakes. I hope!
Currently own: 2013 Honda PCX150 red, 2008 Suzuki Burgman 400 red.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

maddiedog wrote:The stock oil is a synthetic blend, it recommends that oil or equivalent.
Come on maddie. You've caught me and gn2 on more than one occasion and I hope we both have behaved with good grace

Do the same.
ScooterKim
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScooterKim »

ok, now I see what all the fuss is about. I won't add my two cents here but to say that your second message was well-written, MaddieDog. it should have been your first but you know that. and everyone is back to nice nice. the bottom line is, read the book. it was written for a reason.
the oil change on the PCX 150 is a dream compared to my last scooter, a Kymco, which quickly went upstream in exchange for my PCX. I lost money but moved on. We should all do the same for this topic, move on.
Hyadum

Post by Hyadum »

Hi guys,

I'll have to switch oil because we can't get Honda oil anymore in Romania. For years we had no official dealer for Honda Motorcycle, only Honda cars. Now that we have a dealer, they told me they don't have Honda oil yet, and it will take months to bring it. In this case I'll switch to Motul. I found one that seems to be exactly what we need for the PCX:

Scooter Expert LE 10W30 Technosynthese®
API SL
JASO MB
M065MOT026

PROPERTIES
Viscosity grade SAE J 300 10W-30
Density at 15°C (59°F) ASTM D1298 0.868
Viscosity at 40°C (104°F) ASTM D445 72.8 mm²/s
Viscosity at 100°C (212°F) ASTM D445 10.8 mm²/s
Viscosity index ASTM D2270 136
Pour point ASTM D97 -36°C
Flash point ASTM D92 226°C
TBN ASTM D 2896 7.4 mg KOH/g

Source: https://www.motul.com/system/product_de ... _10W30.pdf

I hope I can find it fast. If the dealer won't get it (they are partners), I'll go directly to Motul Romania.
Cheers!
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
Albert Einstein
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Hyadum wrote:Hi guys,

I'll have to switch oil because we can't get Honda oil anymore in Romania. For years we had no official dealer for Honda Motorcycle, only Honda cars. Now that we have a dealer, they told me they don't have Honda oil yet, and it will take months to bring it. In this case I'll switch to Motul. I found one that seems to be exactly what we need for the PCX:

Scooter Expert LE 10W30 Technosynthese®
API SL
JASO MB
M065MOT026

PROPERTIES
Viscosity grade SAE J 300 10W-30
Density at 15°C (59°F) ASTM D1298 0.868
Viscosity at 40°C (104°F) ASTM D445 72.8 mm²/s
Viscosity at 100°C (212°F) ASTM D445 10.8 mm²/s
Viscosity index ASTM D2270 136
Pour point ASTM D97 -36°C
Flash point ASTM D92 226°C
TBN ASTM D 2896 7.4 mg KOH/g

Source: https://www.motul.com/system/product_de ... _10W30.pdf

I hope I can find it fast. If the dealer won't get it (they are partners), I'll go directly to Motul Romania.
Cheers!

Or just use any reasonable quality oil of the correct grade?
Bronxcat
Year: 2019
Color: Grey/Charcoal

Post by Bronxcat »

What size O Ring do I use for replacing the OEM when changing the oil. Oil plug and Screen if they are 2 different sizes.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

What size O Ring do I use for replacing the OEM when changing the oil. Oil plug and Screen if they are 2 different sizes.
Welcome aboard! :D

What country are you from . . . your location on this planet?

Judging by the color of your 2019 PCX you are not from the U.S..

The U.S. market was issued Bronze for 2019.

Too bad because there are a number of great sources to buy motorcycle and scooter parts online this side of the pond. That said I think some of them do ship international but wouldn't it make sense to buy local?

Here's an example of what's out there. Some online parts distributors often provide parts lists and diagrams to make your part selection a cinch. Here you can see the oil drain plug and other pieces . . .. :geek:

https://www.revzilla.com/oem/honda/2019 ... -motor-vnm

Shop around and good luck in your search. Keep us posted. :geek: ;)
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Gn2's using his torque wrench as a breaker bar, love it!
No expert myself on anything, save - donuts, but loosening anything queers a torque wrench pronto - I've been told.
More fun than Downton Abbey here!
Fish
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Ohhh sure, go ahead and make me feel bad you bully! My sugar readings were up last Dr visit and so I'm not allowed to eat any %^(&*) donuts anymore.
grndslm
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by grndslm »

maddiedog wrote:
Carpathian hawk wrote:Me too! Yes, I think as the other that said:

1)The Motul 300v is one of the best oil; but not recommended for PCX at the start of the life. Plese take into considerations:

a)Full synthetic oil used during breaking-in procedure will produce "glazing" on the surface of the cilinder, Usually, full sinthetic oil is not recommended to be used before 5000-8000 km. Use mineral or semi-sintetic (blended) oils.

b)Aparently 5W-60 is better than 10w-30, yes?....YES!....but keeping records of your fuel consumption you will see how your engine drink more gas.

2)I think that for minimum 4000 km is better to stay with Honda HP4 M 10w-30 JASO MB. If it will not be available I am prepared to use Motul 5100 10w-30 semisynthetic.

All is only my opinions, right or wrong, do not consider as "The Final Truth".
You're an idiot.

Sorry, but I have to say that. Your post is wrong in EVERY way and will confuse other readers.

1a. Synthetic is NEEDED per Honda. The PCX is built to VERY tight tolerances to get the efficiency it does, and a non-synthetic will definitely cause excess wear and may gunk up your engine. Semi-synthetic is ok, but full synthetic is best. The brand doesn't matter at all, just as long as it is not "Resource conserving" on the label on the back. You do not need motorcycle-specific oil either, because the PCX has a dry clutch.

1b. NO IT IS NOT. 5w60 IS NOT OKAY. You will DESTROY your engine. Seriously. DO NOT PUT ANYTHING BUT 10w30 or 10w40 in your PCX.. 5w30 or 5w40 are also fine.

2. Ok, but that contradicts the advice you just said. Part 2 is the only sane part of your post.
First of all, motorcycle oil isn't required, but MB rated oil *is* required, which is pretty much "scooter rated" oil... Probly easier to find JASO MA rated (motorcycle) oil than JASO MB rated oil, however.

As to the 5w60 not being good in the engine.... I'm pretty sure a 0w40 or 0w50 would provide better protection (even if you lose a few MPGs at operating temps), while actually being thinner than a 10w30 at startup. 10w30 would be 10 times thicker than a 0w50 or even 5w60 at startup. So the whole tolerance thing is bogus since the "thicker" oils are actually thinner oils with more polymers added, which shear quicker in shared sumps... So not recommended for motorcycles, but scooters should actually be a much better use case for such synthetics with a wide spread in viscosity.
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

MB oil is very hard to get in the UK - yes, you can find some Motul MB oil listed on Ebay or Amazon but often it's several years old and dealers are trying to get rid, and often it can be £20+ for a litre! - oil is supposed to have a shelf life of max 5 years (don't know if it's true, don't care, it's what the manufacturers state)

Too thick or too thin oil is very bad as the parts will either gunk up or the oil will not be thick enough to stick properly when the engine is hot.

As has been stated zillions of times, any good fully synth 10w30 oil is perfectly fine from -10 to high 30's, which for most of us is what we experience climate wise. Still to see anyone with a scooter in the UK or US show damage from using normal 10w30 or such oil (not even MB).
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Slight feeling of deja vu.
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

you you wrote:Slight feeling of deja vu.
All over again. :lol: :lol: :lol:
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

JohnL wrote:
you you wrote:Slight feeling of deja vu.
All over again. :lol: :lol: :lol:

You've said that before?