Forza 300 Rear brake pads

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Forza 300 Rear brake pads

Post by gn2 »

Just had to change the pads on my Forza, down to the metal 4000 miles after the dealer replaced them.
Well they said they did....

Has anyone worked out how to see the pad wear without having to take the exhaust, inner heatshield and caliper off...?

What mileages are people getting out of rear pads?

Anyone else have a problem with the caliper being sticky and rubbing?

I stripped and cleaned mine, fitted new pads, reassembled and the bloody thing is still not releasing properly.

Anyway, if you are going in for a look I have found EBC pads, Athena silencer connecting gasket and mikalor stainless steel exhaust clamp on eBay
All items significantly cheaper in the UK than genuine Honda (even with delivery added) and all same or better quality.
Pays to get these items beforehand, I once ended up off the road for a while waiting on a replacement exhaust clamp from the Honda dealer.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400442670447
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181230539111
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390357156512
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014
Color: grey

Re: Forza 300 Rear brake pads

Post by dergav »

helpful info in your post Gn..thanks
I have 3800 mls on the Forza and not aware of pads being worn down...but how would I ?... cause as you say almost impossible to closely look at without removing things.
Forza goes in for its 12 month service in the coming weeks so will see if the Honda mechanics say anything about the pads ...normally not slow in trying to sell extras to the service ( at least they are with Honda cars in the same garage ).
Forza 300
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Forza 300 »

When I replaced the rear tire I serviced the rear brakes ( clean pads sliders) and checked the pads for wear they had lots of life ,they are original pads and I have 10000 kilometres or 6000 miles.

Don
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

You are correct - absolutely miserable trying to see the condition of the rear pads. Fronts are easy to see. (I even moved the right shock out of the way --- looked thru all 3 parts of by trifocals, no dice!)
Usually I can get a better look with my camera + flash....NOT so this time.
I can see stuff, but have no idea what I'm looking at.
Even used a mirror from below.
Examples:

From below-----

Looks like I better order some parts - so I can look at the da__ed rear pads!
Thanks Honda!
Fish
HForz

Post by HForz »

Mine was in for 8000 miles service. Second set of new pads at the back and second set of new tyres. oh yes plus new waterpump seal, plus suspension for the seat left hot grip, new exhaust but at least these are under warranty not lik my clutch that allegedly needs replacing
This bike is taking the P or the dealership
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Its the dealer.
Unless you'e been revving the engine when stationary with the back wheel on the ground.
Never do this, only open the throttle when moving off.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
AustinPCX
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by AustinPCX »

I'm at 13000 miles with the original pads.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

AustinPCX wrote:I'm at 13000 miles with the original pads.
K
Thanks for your post.....good to know.
I recently had to replace.some fluid.in the rear reservoir.....but.it was not overly full from new. . Level bubble was visible in the window.....so my pads may very well be good. But have parts on hand now to take a look. Will report when.I do, with pkx of the.procedure.
Fish
NeilForza
Year: 2014 Forza
Color: Silver

Post by NeilForza »

I only managed about 3000 miles from the original rear pads, the second lot only lasted 2500ish
My dealer has put different pads on this time as can't believe how quickly they are going.
He mentioned that the recommend pads are of a softer material because they are scooter pads!
Fingers crossed these ones last longer
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

NeilForza wrote:I only managed about 3000 miles from the original rear pads, the second lot only lasted 2500ish
The service interval is 8000 miles.
So it seems obvious to me that the pads should last longer than 8000 miles in all circumstances.
Clearly your caliper is not releasing properly and needs properly serviced.
If the dealer cannot remedy the pad wear you should take it up with Honda UK.
SteveP
Regular User
Regular User
Color: red

Post by SteveP »

I'm in process of changing the rear tire on my Forza and at 6500 miles there's approximately 5/32" of pad left on the rear brake. New tire will be a Dunlop SX01 scooter tire, 150/70-13.
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dergav »

Gn2
Reference your post in May last year on rear brake pads for Forza...as copy below..
I Purchased the pads for fitting in coming weeks...However you also include info on a silencer seal....Is it necessary to use a new seal here?....and...will the seal in your post ( for an SH300 scoot) fit OK?
thanks

Gn2 said..."Anyway, if you are going in for a look I have found EBC pads, Athena silencer connecting gasket and mikalor stainless steel exhaust clamp on eBay
All items significantly cheaper in the UK than genuine Honda (even with delivery added) and all same or better quality.
Pays to get these items beforehand, I once ended up off the road for a while waiting on a replacement exhaust clamp from the Honda dealer.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400442670447
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181230539111
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390357156512
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

You may be able to re-use the gasket, best to have one ready in case....
glencoeman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by glencoeman »

I checked my rear pads recently (about 4200 miles) and there was not much wear. However, when I ride , I tend to mostly use the front brake.
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dergav »

6500mls and now needing replaced...may have got a few more miles out of them but changing now before the spring/summer riding trips begin ..and I admit to using the rear brake more often.
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

So what are the pros and cons between organic and sintered pads? When I looked up the ebay UK linkand transfered it to ebay US, both came up.

As an aside, there was the following caveat:

"Please Note :- Our products are for UK specification Motorcycles / Mopeds, it is the responsibility of the buyer to ensure the specification of the model from Non UK countries is the same as the UK application."

Am I correct in assuming that UK and US Forzas are the same animals?
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by davenowherejones »

US and UK Forza's have minor differences. A parking brake on the USA. Not in Canada. Handlebar switches slightly different. Key system is different in some countries. The User's manual list quite a few more differences. Maintenance periods are different.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Generally speaking, organic pads wear faster than sintered, but sintered wear the discs down faster.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by davenowherejones »

gn2 wrote:Generally speaking, organic pads wear faster than sintered, but sintered wear the discs down faster.
Organic bed in faster and sintered were too noisy for me on a KLX250.

Sintered are supposed to be the best, kevlar are a waste of money and organic are cheaper.

Sticky Forza rears are going to wear fast, so buy a couple of sets of organics??? I don't know. Depends on the price I guess.
Mister_Fube
Regular User
Regular User
Color: white

Post by Mister_Fube »

I had worn my rear pads down to the metal last November, necessitating new pads and a disc on the back. 2 months later, in January of this year, I was back in again because they were almost back down on the metal again - which I thought was ridiculous after such a short space of time, but it turns out I had done just over 5000 miles since that service in November.

So possibly your pad wear is in line with my experience. I have fitted EBC HH sintered pads now, in the hopes that they'll last a bit longer than the Honda OEM ones.

[URL=http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/nss300a_forza_abs/2014/mrfube/330690]Image