Pros and cons of going from 300 Forza to Silver Wing?...

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014

Pros and cons of going from 300 Forza to Silver Wing?...

Post by Mister Paul »

....from those with a fair experience of both?

Thanks
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Pros and cons of going from 300 Forza to Silver Wing?...

Post by Bash On! »

Don't know how many people will have done that here on this list. I don't have a Forza but I did go from a smaller scooter (PCX) to the Silver Wing.

Can you help us focus our advice by sharing why the Forza doesn't work for you, and what you're looking for out of the Silver Wing?

You could also ask the same question over at the Silver Wing board at: http://www.silverwing600.com/
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mister Paul »

Bash On! wrote:Don't know how many people will have done that here on this list. I don't have a Forza but I did go from a smaller scooter (PCX) to the Silver Wing.

Can you help us focus our advice by sharing why the Forza doesn't work for you, and what you're looking for out of the Silver Wing?

You could also ask the same question over at the Silver Wing board at: http://www.silverwing600.com/
Thanks.

There's nothing wrong with the Forza, but I've had it for 9 months now and am getting a bit itchy for a little more power. I would like to pop over to France some time this year and would rather do it on something with a bit more oomph.

Blade motorcycles are doing 5 years 0% on all new bikes this weekend which is slightly tempting, but in reality I'd probably swap for a used one if I did anything about the itch. The Burgman Executive would be my first option but it's the most expensive, and I'm wondering why people don't talk about the Silverwing more.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

If you want more poke, a Kymco Xciting will provide that and for just £5000 new.
Also worth a look are the Peugeot Satelis 400, Yamaha Xmax 400 and the Maxsym 600.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Treeman

Post by Treeman »

I'm in the opposite situation, since considering switching from a Burgman Executive 650 to a Honda Forza ABS. However, I'll be 74 in a few days, otherwise would keep the Burgman. I've still not ridden the Forza, but will when the weather clears here in Michigan. The Silverwing is a great bike, but somewhat outdated compared to the Burgman 650.
2010 Gold Wing/ABS
2007 Burgman Executive
1977 BMW R100/7
2013 Kymco Agility 125
glencoeman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by glencoeman »

I used to have both a while ago. Although the Silver Wing is much more powerful, it is also much heavier if you need to push it in and out of garages etc and you will notice the difference! The suspension on the Wing is better but is does have a tendency to drop into corners at slow speed - this can be cured by fitting progressive fork springs. Overall, I prefer the Forza as I have other bikes as well. If you simple want more power, have a look at the Burgman 400. I had one at one time and it was quite quick and reliable for a 400cc scooter.
phantom309

Post by phantom309 »

iv'e had both and . the silverwing does have more power.. but the biggest thing is weight, the silverwing is very heavy and after the forza you would notice this greatly if you try to move it around ...after i had my wing i swapped with a friend for his burgman 400.. and the first time i put the suzuki on it's main stand it felt like i was going to throw the thing across the car park it was so light ....
having an adventure before dementia !!!!!!!
Road-Dog
Year: 2015
Color: Red

Post by Road-Dog »

Mister Paul wrote:....from those with a fair experience of both?

Thanks
Everything depends on your riding style. I had an 03 Silverwing and averaged 11,000 miles a year and sold it after 4 years with 45,000 miles on it. Its NOT the mileage but rather the average speed you do that will determine Forza-Silverwing. If you do a lot of highway then opt for the Wing. If you do a lot of Bi-way then the Forza is up your alley. My thoughts from having both.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I rode a friend's Silverwing once and it was great for touring, but in town riding was a different story. It was bulky and did not like slow turns. I had a Burgman 400 and the difference between the Silverwing and Burgman was dramatic. However, if you were looking for a touring bike, and you spend a lot of time on the freeways, then I would consider it or the Burgman 650, which comes with a lot more bells and whistles and is a delight to ride on long trips. The Burgman 400 was a great all around bike, but I traded down to the PCX 150 because most of my riding now is in town, and the difference in handling between small bikes and larger ones is quite noticeable when you have to make quick turns in parking lots and alleys. In conclusion, it all depends on what you will be doing with the bike primarily. I don't think they have updated the Silverwing for quite some time. I think that is because they can't decide if they are going to keep selling it. There is a lot of overstock on that bike.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

Different folks, different views. I have absolutely no problem with the Silver Wing around town--it's more manueverable than many bikes I've had before. Nor do I have any problem at all pushing it around the garage, as the weight is down low.

As with anything, there are always trade-offs, and only the buyer can weigh them for him/herself. All the more reason to try to get a thorough test ride before you buy.
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
leoper
Color: white

Post by leoper »

easy : Silverwing 400
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

Along the same lines, for those of you that moved from a PCX to a Forza, was the added weight around town noticable?
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

leoper wrote:easy : Silverwing 400
Only available in mainland Europe, maybe Japan too?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong