Little undecided on a windscreen

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

fantasy2c
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Little undecided on a windscreen

Post by fantasy2c »

Hello. I know there is Alot of talk on windscreens but can't find much on the exact truth as I see one say the tall helps stability as well as top end and other say it hurts it so I'd like to hear from others or the short is perfect for someone 6 foot tall yet not for someone who is 5'6"(which I understand torso height plays the factor here)

I have a 2015 honda pcx with a stock "windscreen" and NYC variator and faceplate with 13g nyc rollers and am caught up between the two windshields by givi, D1136ST and the D1130ST. I am about 5 foot 9 inches and would say my chin Is maybe around 4-6 inches over the height of the stock mirrors sitting in a normal riding position. A good chunk of my riding is in 10 mph winds as well as 50-55 mph speeds. Just curious on if the short windshield would be too short for normal riding(mainly if I'd get a windblast to the face which I read isn't pleasant) or if I should just go with the tall windshield and be safe.

I am looking for better stability from the wind at higher speeds and don't want to lose top speed which I'm sure I wouldn't with the short but am not sure that would be the case with the tall windscreen. I would prefer to not lose my top speed because of higher drag, but I understand it could be better as it may be more aerodynamic. I know some days with higher winds I can't get much more over 50mph and was also curious if a screen would help in that scenario. I understand the bike is only a 150cc but just want to try and make the best out of it and try to get a few mph top end as I rarely can hit over about 62mph and would hopefully like to hit a little higher, thank you for your time!
2015 pcx with NYC variator and faceplate and 13g NYC rollers
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Little undecided on a windscreen

Post by Mel46 »

I think you will be happy with the D1130ST. I am 5'10" and have a tall Givi windshield on my bike, though it is a 2013 model bike. After looking up the numbers for the GIVI windshield for the newest PCX, the D1130ST is about the same as the 323dt that I have on my 2 bikes. I had the shorter one on my wife's bike for a while (the GIVI 322) but the wind was too much for her, and she is only 5 ft tall. I switched her windshield for the 323, which is the tall one, and she is quite happy. Both of us can ride comfortably now....well, when she can ride again, since she is still recovering from our accident. At the moment I am waiting for the arrival of a new 323 as a replacement for the one that was broken in the accident for my bike. I already have the tall replacement on hers, so I am riding hers right now.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
fantasy2c
Regular User
Regular User

Post by fantasy2c »

How did it affect top speed for you, Mel? I know you'll get a couple mph faster then me with the older bikes gearing but I'm just worried about the extra drag, as well as how warm does it get with the minimal airflow in the summertime? I assume you can Crack open the face shield on the helmet to cool things down some but just curious is all. Hope your wife is recovering fine, I remember reading about the incident on here around when it happened.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

We both found that the ride was much smoother with the tall windshield on. With only the shorter one on (the GIVI 322) the wind would hit us in the chest and it would be like trying to drive a flat faced truck into the wind. There was a lot of resistance and turbulence. With the tall one on it was smoother because the airflow went around us smoothly, and even our hands were protected. In the summer time we can, if we wanted to, flip up our full face visor because the helmet comes with a half visor that is tinted. I usually ride with both of them down unless I really get hot. I also have wrap around sunglasses, so I could even flip up both visors. We also have a different set of 'summer' helmets. These are not as protective because they only have the half face shield, but with summers with humidity sometimes as high a 90%, and temperatures in the 90 - 105 degrees F., with no wind we feel like we are suffocating when we stop. Still, without that taller windshield we feel like we are fighting the bike in all seasons.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

fantasy2c
Regular User
Regular User

Post by fantasy2c »

Good to know, I'm sure right now I'd really love that extra protection as its only averaging 40-50 degrees and would make the ride to work a little more enjoyable as it gets pretty chilly. I guess my last question is how does the big windshield handle the air burst one gets from passing a semi, with stock screen I learned tucking really helps with the passing air and keeps the stability much better compared to sitting normally. I really appreciate all the info you shared, thank you!
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

For me the Tall National works great. Not perfect but much better than the smaller ones. I do find that I will get a sway or sail affect if a cross wind is encountered. However I am a big target at 5'11 so I can attribute that to me and the shield together. Both of us make a big target on a low bike with little mass. However its not that bad but have to be mindful of a cross blast of wind when doing 45-50 + mph .I like it a lot and I can duck down under the top lip and I will pick up 3 -5 mph when the need arises. Well worth the investment !!
fantasy2c
Regular User
Regular User

Post by fantasy2c »

See that's something I was worried about but I did expect to hear that... Sure it can't be overly worse then with the stock setup bc wind pushes me all over on some of the breezier days. I looked at the nationals and I like the look of the giviover it, no offense as I appreciate the input. I assume the first few times its a little rough but once you were to get more used the the screen it's not to bad?
jblye
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by jblye »

Here is one of my previous posts re tall windscreens:

Here are the upgrades to my 2015 PCX150 that have made the scooter a much more enjoyable / practical ride:

http://johnnysstuffblog.blogspot.com/20 ... rades.html

Givi D1130ST TALL Windscreen (Purchased from Tour and Ride....Givi's USA online store)......This tall windscreen works fairly well as is,
but it still has some wind noise and helmet buffeting, so I tried a couple of upgrades. At first, I installed a 10 inch Universal Laminar Lip.
That provided some improvement.....but mostly in the center 10 inches of the screen....and the fit to my D1130ST was not ideal, so I sent
the Lip back for a refund. Then I purchased 3 feet of Saeng's Micro Swirl edging (see pics) for about $45. That made a significant improvement,
reducing wind noise and buffeting from the top AND the sides of the screen. Without the edging, the air stream hits the center of my helmet
visor and about 2 inches from the sides of my helmet. With the edging, the air stream barely hits the top of my helmet and is about 4 or 5
inches away from the sides of my helmet. Much quieter and smoother airflow behind the screen ! NOTE: I DON'T THINK THAT THIS EDGING
WOULD BE VERY EFFECTIVE FOR LOWER LEVEL WINDSCREENS. With the D1130ST windscreen, I'm JUST looking over the top of the screen,
so the effect of the edging is maximized. For reference, I'm 5 feet - 10 inches tall....but long waisted. A rider of similar height who is not long
waisted should get an even better improvement than I did.

Since that info was posted, I've had a lot more experience with the D1130ST and Saeng's Micro Swirl edging. Both work very well and have
reduced wind buffeting and noise considerably. Note: I still wear ear plugs when riding, though.....just a good idea, I think.

To my surprise, the windshield doesn't flop around nearly as much at 60+ mph with the Micro Swirl edging installed. Not sure why, but it seems
to stabilize the windshield. FWIW: Before getting the Micro Swirl edging, I tried using automotive edging material (such as might be installed
on a car's door edge to prevent dings when opening doors). I saw a slight improvement, but not nearly as much improvement as seen with the
Micro Swirl edging. Again, I don't think that the Micro Swirl edging would help much (if any) with shorter windshields. The rider should be JUST able
to look over the top of the windshield for maximum effect.

Anyhow, I hope this helps.
Johnny
fantasy2c
Regular User
Regular User

Post by fantasy2c »

Went through your blog and windshield is quite big.. Saw pictures of you on the bike and I am much shorter torso wise than you, jblye. Does look pretty slick with the stripping across the screen though! Was going to pull the trigger on the tall givi but I saw revzilla and tour and ride are currently out of stock so I'll be waiting for a little while. Was hoping to get it since the Temps are going to be quite cold the next couple weeks and would make my commute to work a little more pleasant but no biggie. Like the looks of the short givi but im sure I'd get the wind last to the face which I don't think I would like. Do you ever have any issues with the screen fogging while riding ever?
jblye
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jblye »

No screen fogging ever.
BTW: Many of the Micro Swirl edging users say that it diverts most rain (that might otherwise come off the top of the shield onto
the rider's face and torso) away from the rider....sort of like a rain gutter. I haven't ridden in rain, so I can't verify that....but it sounds
reasonable.
Johnny
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

My second tall Givi windshield just arrived in the mail, so I am guessing that the demand is starting to increase. This one will go on my bike. I have been riding my wife's bike while waiting for it. My bike had the mid sized Givi on it since my tall one broke in the accident. It took me 5 minutes to change out the windshield. I think I might investigate the Saeng's Micro Swirl edging too.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

fantasy2c
Regular User
Regular User

Post by fantasy2c »

Where did you order from? I'm waiting for revzilla to get more stock and tour and ride was out as well. Saw some random website that I can't remember the name of had them in Stock but the site did not feel safe to me so I didn't want to order thru them.

I'm thinking about doing the stripping around mine as well, I think that makes it look really nice!
fantasy2c
Regular User
Regular User

Post by fantasy2c »

(please ignore)
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Red

Post by flyingzonker »

I put a tall windscreen on my 2013 PCX. I do not notice any change in mph. I think the mpg may be slightly better with the windscreen. In colder weather the screen is a great friend.
jblye
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jblye »

I haven't seen any significant difference in performance or mpg since I installed the Givi D1130ST tall windshield on my 2015 PCX150. It still gets to
the speed limiter (about 63 mph per my i-phone GPS app) easily. I still get 103 - 108 mpg using non-ethanol gas (if you can believe the instrument
panel readout.....I still suspect that the instrument gauge actually is based on UK gallons). BTW: I once filled the tank with 10% ethanol gas, and the
mileage for that tank dropped to about 98 mpg. The non-ethanol gas costs a bit more, but I think that it's worth it, since it is less likely to cause
engine problems, and the slightly higher gas mileage makes up for most of the additional cost.

Not being blasted by the wind makes riding a lot more fun, too !! The Saeng Micro Swirl edging still allows some air flow onto my face,
but it is just a gentle breeze, not a hurricane. BTW: South Carolinians pronounce the word "hurricane" as "hurricunn'. :lol:

Johnny
Tonyx
Color: red

Post by Tonyx »

fantasy2c wrote:Where did you order from? I'm waiting for revzilla to get more stock and tour and ride was out as well. Saw some random website that I can't remember the name of had them in Stock but the site did not feel safe to me so I didn't want to order thru them.

I'm thinking about doing the stripping around mine as well, I think that makes it look really nice!
If you are in SE area of Michigan I have the National tall windshield installed on mine. It might help you to see it in person.
fantasy2c
Regular User
Regular User

Post by fantasy2c »

From what I've noticed the mpg readout is around 10 mpg higher than hand calculating it.. Normally I sit around 90mpg out the readout but when I do it by hand it comes out to 78-82mpg. I ride a little aggressive normally so that's why my numbers are low. I normally hit around 60-62 but I'm 220 pounds and not the most aerodynamic this time of year with bulky gear but 60 is all we need to be going anyway(unless highway of course) I'd honestly think doing anything g on the pcx would not be the most fun lol. Im up in the thumb area of Michigan.