changing fork seals

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Robbie
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2011
Color: Grey

changing fork seals

Post by Robbie »

Can anyone post the page of the repair manual for changing the fork seals please. Specifically looking for how the slider comes apart from the fork leg.

Or if anyone has done this and can advise? Is there a bolt to remove at the bottom of the slider (which can be tricky from past experince with forks)?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: changing fork seals

Post by gn2 »

Have you tried a Seal Mate plastic card seal cleaner yet?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Robbie
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Robbie »

To be fair, I haven't tried the 'seal mate' but really not sure how much of a permanent(ish) fix it would be.

Slight leak on the seals was first brought up 2 years ago at the MOT (so seals probably are past their best) and I have already bought the seals, dust covers and fork oil. I think I would prefer new seals in there for peace of mind. I just can't see anywhere the procedure is documented.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

What state are the stanchions in?
Any corrosion?
If there's no corrosion a seal mate should sort any slight leakage.
If there is corrosion new seals will soon be trashed.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Robbie
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Robbie »

Stanchions do appear ok but I will be checking them over once I get them off the bike. You can buy new stanchions separately if they are needed - once the forks are apart anyway! lol

Going to get the forks out and see if replacing seals is straightforward, if not I will get a seal mate. I have done fork seals before but the process has tended to vary.
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by DAB »

Where in Nottingham, I have a manual
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
Robbie
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Robbie »

I live in Nuthall DAB. Thanks for the offer, I have been in the garage this evening and figured out how they come apart. There is no way the bolt at the bottom of the forks is coming out, so I have bought a 'seal mate' rather than changing the seals.

I dont like giving up, but this has me beat for the time being. I used the correct allen key, but the bolt socket has rounded. I can still change the fork oil which is a partial victory! :)
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

And we await the detailed results on this product. I have one but yet to use it.
Robbie
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Robbie »

Will report back, but I am not using the bike until April. It will then be used daily.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Robbie wrote:Will report back, but I am not using the bike until April. It will then be used daily.
As much as we would all like to learn and see a video about tearing down the front forks i'm betting on the fact you don't need new fork seals. Just a gentile clearing of dirt and or minuscule debris from the original seals. Have you recently strapped down the front end for long periods of time? For example shipping preparation or crated the PCX?
Robbie
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Robbie »

I have only just bought the scooter homie and have had it stripped down for a thorough check over - hence the desire to get everything just right.

Leaking seal was first picked up 2years ago at the mot, but its a pretty minor leak. It was mentioned as a "misting seal" and I would say its still the same 2 years on. Stanchions are in good condition so hoping the seal mate sorts it out.
jcpeden
Regular User
Regular User
Color: White

Post by jcpeden »

I took delivery of my 2011 PCX last night and the forks are pretty grimy. Is this indicative of worn out seals that need replacing?
Robbie
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Robbie »

If there is oily residue down the forks, then yes, they may need changing. Mine was a really slight leak - just the dust cap slightly damp.

Worth trying a 'seal mate' tool to see if you can fix it that way as I will admit, getting the forks apart is a swine of a job if the bolt at the bottom of the leg is stuck in place.
jcpeden
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jcpeden »

Something to get inspected when it's next serviced perhaps? The bike was serviced and MOTed in January so leaky seals would have at least been an advisory. Perhaps it's just grime from the road. I'll clean them down and see if they pick up any gunk over the course of a few days of riding.
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

Robbie wrote:I live in Nuthall DAB. Thanks for the offer, I have been in the garage this evening and figured out how they come apart. There is no way the bolt at the bottom of the forks is coming out, so I have bought a 'seal mate' rather than changing the seals.

I dont like giving up, but this has me beat for the time being. I used the correct allen key, but the bolt socket has rounded. I can still change the fork oil which is a partial victory! :)
Ooh, that's no good. You'd have to drill it out...and I'm not so sure you'd want to do that on a fork leg. Yeek! Can't think of a way to get the seals out without first getting that retainer bolt loose. You could try an easy-out on it...that sucks man.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
jcpeden
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jcpeden »

jcpeden wrote:Something to get inspected when it's next serviced perhaps? The bike was serviced and MOTed in January so leaky seals would have at least been an advisory. Perhaps it's just grime from the road. I'll clean them down and see if they pick up any gunk over the course of a few days of riding.
Local bike mechanic said they'd blown and would have to be replaced as a pair. Pointed out that it looked like the fork oil had gotten onto the disc so recommended replacing the rotor and pads as well. Excessive? Plenty of stopping power at the moment.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

So many ifs and but and dreaming of potential problems...

A decent ride out might clear the mind.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

jcpeden wrote:fork oil had gotten onto the disc so recommended replacing the rotor and pads as well. Excessive?
Definitely excessive.
Disc not porous so a quick wipe down with degreaser and all will be good.
Pads probably ok if you get them cleaned quick.
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

jcpeden wrote:
jcpeden wrote:Something to get inspected when it's next serviced perhaps? The bike was serviced and MOTed in January so leaky seals would have at least been an advisory. Perhaps it's just grime from the road. I'll clean them down and see if they pick up any gunk over the course of a few days of riding.
Local bike mechanic said they'd blown and would have to be replaced as a pair. Pointed out that it looked like the fork oil had gotten onto the disc so recommended replacing the rotor and pads as well. Excessive? Plenty of stopping power at the moment.
Without looking at them, myself, I can't say, but if the lower housing is intact and the uppers are undamaged, there is no reason the bolts cannot be removed with the proper tools. Definitely best to replace the seals in both at the same time. Pretty much standard practice really.

As for the brakes, if the pads are inundated with oil, they should be replaced. They are cheap enough that replacing them is simply cheap insurance against a catastrophe. The rotor, as GN2 stated, is metal and can be cleaned with contact cleaner (brake cleaner, carb cleaner, parts cleaner, whatever). The only reason to replace it would be if it is warped to the point of being outside the mfg specs, or gouged and grooved badly, pitted, rusted, and so one.

Again, without actually seeing and handling the parts myself, I can't give any exact answers.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
jcpeden
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jcpeden »

What do we think then guys? Assuming I need new seals, clips and dust covers I'm looking at £40 in parts.

I think I'll start by cleaning what's already there and topping up the fork oil to see what happens. I might then try some seal mate and see if that stops any visible leakage.

Pads seem absolutely fine to be honest, I've had to do a few heavy-handed stops and haven't noticed any issue with them.