Air filter replacement

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Air filter replacement

Post by davenowherejones »

I bought a Honda air filter for my 2014 Forza. Does it go in dry or is it supposed to be oiled?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Air filter replacement

Post by gn2 »

No need to do anything, just take it out the packaging and fit it straight in.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Thanks, I have a few thousand kilometres to go before it is due. But that won't take long.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I went for a ride today and my mpg numbers were getting worse. I pulled the air filter in a parking lot to have a look. It was really dirty even though Honda says I had a few thousand more kilometres life left in it. I put the new one in dry and went around the airport a few times. The mpg numbers seem a lot better. I will run a few tanks of gas through to see if it actually made that big a difference. Like I need excuses to ride!!!
leoper
Color: white

Post by leoper »

davenowherejones wrote:I went for a ride today and my mpg numbers were getting worse. I pulled the air filter in a parking lot to have a look. It was really dirty even though Honda says I had a few thousand more kilometres life left in it. I put the new one in dry and went around the airport a few times. The mpg numbers seem a lot better. I will run a few tanks of gas through to see if it actually made that big a difference. Like I need excuses to ride!!!
how many Km have dirty air filter ?
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I am the second owner of my 2014 Forza. I presume it was the original factory air filter. The Forza has 15,000 km on it. My Forza had 1500 km on it when I bought it used in 2015.

The owner's manual says to replace it at 19,200 km. My gas mpg was getting worse so I replaced it early because it was very dirty.

My gas mpg was 26 km/litre and with the new filter 30 km/litre.
zanggerk
Year: 2012
Color: black

Post by zanggerk »

30 km/liter is quite poor. Do you ride full throttle a lot? Or with a lot of weight on the bike?
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I am 200 pounds with 20 pounds of crap in the bike. I ride on the highways a lot. Not full throttle which is 145 km per hour but 110 kmph quite frequently.

So what is everyone getting in km/liter for the FORZA? Not that little PCX that wouldn't make it up the mountains. And not some little Asian girl who doesn't weigh much. And not mpg where no one can figure out what a gallon is. What do real men get on a real Forza in km/liter?
leoper
Color: white

Post by leoper »

davenowherejones wrote:I am 200 pounds with 20 pounds of crap in the bike. I ride on the highways a lot. Not full throttle which is 145 km per hour but 110 kmph quite frequently.

So what is everyone getting in km/liter for the FORZA? Not that little PCX that wouldn't make it up the mountains. And not some little Asian girl who doesn't weigh much. And not mpg where no one can figure out what a gallon is. What do real men get on a real Forza in km/liter?
do you have a high windscreen or the original one ?

what do you think about pulley sliders to go down revs 300-400 to spend less gas ?
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

leoper wrote:
davenowherejones wrote:I am 200 pounds with 20 pounds of crap in the bike. I ride on the highways a lot. Not full throttle which is 145 km per hour but 110 kmph quite frequently.

do you have a high windscreen or the original one ?

what do you think about pulley sliders to go down revs 300-400 to spend less gas ?
I have the high Honda screen. I ride in a windy area and it makes life so much better.

I do not know about the sliders. From what I do know it usually seems to be compromise. I might gain on gas mpg but I loose on mountain climbing speed???

I seem to get better mpg when I do not use Flying J Shell 87 gasoline. I might boycott my local Flying J to see if things improve on the mpg.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I don't have a Forzas but my pcx plays one on TV....
I always wanted to say that :-)
These bikes a tuned for the lower octane fuel but I have found that some low octane fuels are better than others. In dact, in some cases when I have been on the road with my pcx (which cruises along quite nicely at 55 mph) that putting the middle grade fuel in occasionally improves the mpg, especially if the fuel in it before that fill up caused the bike to run sluggish. Not all fuel distributes get the water out of their tanks when they are getting toward the bottom of their holding tank. Therefore you will be pumping a mixture of fuel and water into you bike. Add some fuel stabilizer occasionally to get the junk out of your tank.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I ride a lot in the rain. I wonder if I am getting damp air in the engine. I will have to look to see exactly where the air intake is buried on the Forza.