New pads and discs strikes again!

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

ONTWOWHEELS
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: WHITE

Re: New pads and discs strikes again!

Post by ONTWOWHEELS »

davenowherejones wrote:So how do get Honda to admit the brake design is defective?
Why is it defective ?
I did not understand the reason.
HONDA PCX 125 /2015 - HONDA PCX 150/2016
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

ONTWOWHEELS wrote:
davenowherejones wrote:So how do get Honda to admit the brake design is defective?
Why is it defective ?
It is defective because with very little use it wears out much quicker than other motorcycles.

It is defective because Honda put a heat source (muffler) right beside a safety critical device (rear brakes) with an inadequate small heat shield between the two.

The fact that there is a heat shield at all shows that Honda was concerned about the brakes overheating.

The "dual-core exhaust catalyzer" runs hotter than a plain exhaust.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

davenowherejones wrote:Does anyone know the minimum thickness of the Forza 300 rear disc? I wore out my pads down to the metal. My disk is at 0.226 inches thick. Do I need a new disk?
So I got down on my hands & knees and rotated the rear wheel to find a Min 5.0 so I guess millimetres. Mine is 5.74

I will have to keep a close watch on the pads.
ONTWOWHEELS
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ONTWOWHEELS »

davenowherejones wrote:
ONTWOWHEELS wrote:
Why is it defective ?
It is defective because with very little use it wears out much quicker than other motorcycles.

It is defective because Honda put a heat source (muffler) right beside a safety critical device (rear brakes) with an inadequate small heat shield between the two.

The fact that there is a heat shield at all shows that Honda was concerned about the brakes overheating.

The "dual-core exhaust catalyzer" runs hotter than a plain exhaust.
The reason i asked is because SH 300 i own has the same exhaust the same brake system, the same heat shield and (i must say that 3.000 kms before i have put an ARROW exhaust on) i have the OEM rear brake pads untill now (53.000 kms). OK i 'm doing a lot of travelling but i use it in the heavy traffic of Athens too. In this time i have changed 3 times front brake pads (OEM, EBC HH SINTERED and the ARTRAX now with the half paste because i will change the front disk due to an accident i had it's a little crooked so i will change it with a BRAKING disk).

The only thing i have noticed is that it needs proper servicing with proper silicone grease to the drivers and the piston (pistons to the front), cleaning etc but the same apply to every other motorcycle.

Perhaps it has to do with the style of riding, i do not know but it is the first time i hear about this issue that is the reason i asked.
Thank you.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

The reason i asked is because SH 300 i own has the same exhaust the same brake system, the same heat shield and (i must say that 3.000 kms before i have put an ARROW exhaust on) i have the OEM rear brake pads untill now (53.000 kms). OK i 'm doing a lot of travelling but i use it in the heavy traffic of Athens too. In this time i have changed 3 times front brake pads (OEM, EBC HH SINTERED and the ARTRAX now with the half paste because i will change the front disk due to an accident i had it's a little crooked so i will change it with a BRAKING disk).

The only thing i have noticed is that it needs proper servicing with proper silicone grease to the drivers and the piston (pistons to the front), cleaning etc but the same apply to every other motorcycle.

Perhaps it has to do with the style of riding, i do not know but it is the first time i hear about this issue that is the reason i asked.
Thank you.[/quote]

I notice that you live in Athens. I wonder if you ride in the rain at all. It rains here (Hope, BC, Canada) a lot and they put salt down in the winter. I also ride long distances in the mountains.

The Forza rear brake location might be more susceptible to dirt problems. The dirt combined with the heat might make it hard for the brake piston to retract after use.

OK, the rain has almost stopped. I am going riding and getting wet to get my FREE McDonalds coffee 50 kilometres to the west
ONTWOWHEELS
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ONTWOWHEELS »

It rains but we have no salty roads unless the northern countys.

You are right, brakes suffer and the whole motorcycle does by mixed salt and dirt and must be cleaned very well and use silicon protectors and waxes to keep her in shape.

The same problems here in islands or near the sea now i understand what the problem is and what you were talking about.

But as i mentioned above this is a problem for every vehicle of every brand if you do not clean - wax etc it properly.

Happy riding, it's always a good time for a ride ! ;)
SteveP
Regular User
Regular User
Color: red

Post by SteveP »

Went out and tried to look at the rear pads on my Forza...hard to see, but appears to be 1/8" left after about 9200 miles. What's the thickness of new pads?
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

SteveP wrote:Went out and tried to look at the rear pads on my Forza...hard to see, but appears to be 1/8" left after about 9200 miles. What's the thickness of new pads?
About 5 mm. I thought I had 1/8 but that was actually the steel backing plate and I had none left. I did not know I had none left until I pulled the calliper off. Also the pads wore unevenly. The outer pad had nothing and the inner pad had about 1 mm.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

ONTWOWHEELS wrote:It rains but we have no salty roads unless the northern countys.

You are right, brakes suffer and the whole motorcycle does by mixed salt and dirt and must be cleaned very well and use silicon protectors and waxes to keep her in shape.

The same problems here in islands or near the sea now i understand what the problem is and what you were talking about.

But as i mentioned above this is a problem for every vehicle of every brand if you do not clean - wax etc it properly.

I just got back from a ride in the rain. There is mud everywhere on the Forza. I looked at Honda Greece SH300i and notice that you have a little fender that hugs the top front of the rear wheel. The Forza is much more open in this area, no hugger fender. A completely different wheel spray pattern and air flow. That little fender probably keeps some dirt out of the brake calliper.

It rains a lot here. Huge trees & lots of big waterfalls. The Forza is very good in the rain but you have to know how to ride in the rain. You have to be smooth and gentle.
ONTWOWHEELS
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ONTWOWHEELS »

davenowherejones wrote:
ONTWOWHEELS wrote:It rains but we have no salty roads unless the northern countys.

I just got back from a ride in the rain. There is mud everywhere on the Forza. I looked at Honda Greece SH300i and notice that you have a little fender that hugs the top front of the rear wheel. The Forza is much more open in this area, no hugger fender. A completely different wheel spray pattern and air flow. That little fender probably keeps some dirt out of the brake calliper.

It rains a lot here. Huge trees & lots of big waterfalls. The Forza is very good in the rain but you have to know how to ride in the rain. You have to be smooth and gentle.
There is no fender to the rear wheel on mine my friend and to anyone else fellow owners, perhaps you saw SH 150.
This is mine during a 1.100 kms trip :

davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

The 2016's SH300i have the hugger rear fender.
ONTWOWHEELS
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ONTWOWHEELS »

davenowherejones wrote:The 2016's SH300i have the hugger rear fender.
Indeed the latest modell has the rear fender as the little 150 brother.
It has been sold here for one - two months.