Is there any downside to using the red kill switch to shut

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

yak
Minister of Magic
Minister of Magic
Year: 2013
Color: black

Is there any downside to using the red kill switch to shut

Post by yak »

off the scooter when i arrive at my destination? Or should i shut off the scooter with the key?
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: Is there any downside to using the red kill switch to sh

Post by homie »

Yes when you are down... use it
Attachments
mac.jpg
mac.jpg (6.61 KiB) Viewed 2172 times
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Oh boy! ^ :lol:

U.S.A. Bikes have The Cut-Off (red Kill Switch) Canada...do you? But Not PCX's across the pond, they have the Stop Engine and Go Again feature (different)

Well yes that's true. You want to kill the motor after a fall (if you're capable and can reach it). No one wants to be lifting a fallen scooter and then accidentally pull the throttle. It happens and the Outcome can be :o I'm sure there's a vid on that (homie finds them all :D )

Downside? Some say The switch might wear out/stop working from constant use. Then...no switch.
There's always been controversy on the use of the kill switch. Some say it keeps us in practice to shut it down/kill the motor before the fall (that practice is best, but who will do it whilst crashing? You'll be in the Panic zone folks!)
I think the Kill Switch is Especially important to use on a geared bike. I've heard that said in the Motorcycle Course I took back in the day. Have things changed? Could be.
It's said that we develop a good habit by using it all the time.

Ugh! Not me. Sorry instructor Billy. I Turn the key to off, then the sidestand goes down. I dismount. That's my habit.
Note: Kill switch is on now as bike sits on centerstand for winters nap.
THAT'S ALMOST OVER.
WAKE UP SLEEPY HEAD!!

I say, use it from time to time just so yer right hand knows it's there. I calls it a Muscle Memory thingy 8) If you are able before a fall....kill the darn thing!
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

For those of you who never use the kill switch be aware of the 'kill switch game' Hooligans may flip your kill switch and position themselves to ROFL when you fumble around wondering why your bike wont start at the convenient store.

If your bike wont start:
step 1. look at the kill switch
step 2. act like you don't know why your bike wont start
step 3. look around to see who's laughing
step 4. get off bike and proceed to pound them... with helmet on of course :D
yak
Minister of Magic
Minister of Magic
Color: black

Post by yak »

I have been in the habit of hitting the Kill Switch as i near my destination. Then i coast to a stop. Put the side stand down and remove the key. Maybe i need to stop doing that.

I went to the CTX Forum and saw ex-PCXforum-member Steph. She and her husband both have CTX's. I am thinking about buying a CTX as a present for WhiteNoise and "homie" but i lost their home addresses for delivery. Don't tell them or it will ruin the surprise.
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waspmike »

If you want to stop the engine but remain seated on the bike, read map, send text, call someone, use the kill switch. I guess we could stretch to stopping at roadside cafe and have the bike next to the table.
Embattle
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: Red

Post by Embattle »

Well I was told when training to only use the Kill switch when required not to turn off the bike, you use the key for that. In essence it came across as the same as using the power switch on your computer rather than asking it to shut down.
BobS
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Silver

Post by BobS »

During a temporary stop while you stay on the bike (phone call, map reading, etc.) use the kill switch. It stops the engine - but leaves the lights and indicators on for safety.

Note: This is my practice on my other bikes - my Thailand PCX has the idle stop, not a kill switch, so I just put the sidestand down in those situations.

Question to the Original Poster - when you are at your destination, don't you put your sidestand down? Doing that shuts off the engine on my PCX just as a kill switch would do. Does the sidestand work the same way in other locations?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

My wife and I always use the kill switch when shutting down the bike. If you are worried about it wearing out you could just as easily worry about the side stand switch or the ignition switch. We put our bikes on the center stands if we are parked in a tight area, so we may not even use the side stand. If we go grocery shopping on them we park on the sidewalk, close to the wall, one behind the other. Since our helmets go in our tail boxes and those have keyed locks, we have to take the keys out of the ignition anyway, but the kill switch is easier to get to initially.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Can always add a capacitor to help stop wear on the contacts due to break/make :) - if it doesn't have one anyway.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Mel46 wrote:My wife and I always use the kill switch when shutting down the bike. If you are worried about it wearing out you could just as easily worry about the side stand switch or the ignition switch.
We just leave the side stands down on Harleys, ride off a crash like a man :lol: but good point, whatever the side stand kill does to cut the engine it most likely is no different than the red switch and that means no sequential shutdown of the electronics or ECU like your computer. To answer the OP... sounds like your actions will have no negative effects. Good thread brother.
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

Don't overthink stuff that doesn't need a lot of thought. Use the kill switch if it's convenient, or not.
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

yak wrote:I am thinking about buying a CTX as a present for WhiteNoise and "homie" but i lost their home addresses for delivery. Don't tell them or it will ruin the surprise.
Whoa! Back up!
Hey homie! how special is yak considering this? Geez, I'm feeling warm fuzzies all over.
I'd love a CTX in my future stable. Color choice up to you yak :P Address follows ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Flicking the kill switch on overrun used to be great for backfires in the good old carb days....