PCX battery charging -

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

shivayash

PCX battery charging -

Post by shivayash »

Hello,

I've been away for the past four months and return home next week. No doubt my scooter battery will be flat... same for the car. I am considering getting a CTEK charger.

I presume a model that offers motorcycle/ scooter charging + car battery charging will work? Does anyone have experience with CTEK chargers? If so, what model(s) are the ones to go for, I'm looking for value for money really, not so much top-of-the-line features.

With best,
SY
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: PCX battery charging -

Post by gn2 »

Never assume.
The battery may well be fine.
My PCX sat unused outdoors uncovered in winter for similar periods of time and it always started without any problem.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
shivayash

Post by shivayash »

gn2 wrote:Never assume.
My PCX sat unused outdoors uncovered in winter for similar periods of time and it always started without any problem.
Thanks, I am keen to get a good charger for both the scoot and car, in any case.
shivayash

Post by shivayash »

Just out of interest, IF the battery is fine, will normal city use charge it up fully, or would I need to get it a quick blast on an A-road or similar?
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

shivayash wrote:
Just out of interest, IF the battery is fine, will normal city use charge it up fully, or would I need to get it a quick blast on an A-road or similar?
It depends if you have the idle stop feature. If you do, keep it off while in the city for the first while, as restarting each time is harder on the battery.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
shivayash

Post by shivayash »

kramnala58 wrote:
shivayash wrote:
It depends if you have the idle stop feature. If you do, keep it off while in the city for the first while, as restarting each time is harder on the battery.
Thanks, I never use Idle Stop has it has killed two batteries already. I live in central London and the constant start-stop nature of my journeys are just too much for a little battery. Ironic really, I spoke to Honda about this and they said that this feature was not designed for urban use!
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

shivayash wrote:Thanks, I never use Idle Stop has it has killed two batteries already. I live in central London and the constant start-stop nature of my journeys are just too much for a little battery. Ironic really, I spoke to Honda about this and they said that this feature was not designed for urban use!
Their own promotional video shows the idle-stop feature in use in an urban city! I take it you have a pre '15 model which has the up-rated battery and idle-stop protection disable should the battery get too low (not a flat volts curve but similar).
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

That should have read 'I take it you do not have a '15 model' or 'have a pre '15 model' :)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

shivayash wrote:Just out of interest, IF the battery is fine, will normal city use charge it up fully
Given that the thing is designed specifically for urban use then yes, you would expect it to be able to maintain a full charge in urban use.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Sure, I do believe that gn2's bike will start right up, I do. :P Happy it does.

But.....if it doesn't? Crap!
I hate taking chances and I don't appreciate when it's self inflicted aggravation. Hitting the Start button getting no feed back/dead and then fixing that! Nope, I want fully juiced batteries at all times in all vehicles. Tires properly full. Liquid levels properly up. Never go below half tank petrol. Fill her up.
My life dictates to be on the ready at all times. Emergencies happen around me and off I Must go. No putzing around. Ohhh noooo.... I got carried away again :oops: blah, blah. geez!! ENuff :|

:? WN on Topic Please!
Ok my 2cents says buy one. If ya got the money, it certainly can't hurt to own one. You might need it one day and it'll be at arms reach!

Quite a few brands are out there to choose from. I like the Deltrane and Optima products.
Deltrane has several battery tenders to choose from. Using just one unit you can keep both your 4 wheel vehicle and bike up to snuff at the same time!
There's another fav made by Optima. Check out their line too.
Also the one you mentioned by CTEK. I heard good things but never used one.

Four months of sitting would concern me as well. While living in Florida, my scoot battery would be dead when I returned from 3-4 week stays in NY. (Fla temps are sizzling high there most of the year). I used a battery tender for my bikes and truck while I was away). Good Thing!!

They were Always Charged Up & Happy to Ride! 8)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

shivayash, one more thing :D
Please please go back and add info to your profile. We need your location. A plus would be your bike, year, and color so We can help You the very best we can. Think future as well.
Happy Trails!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

WhiteNoise wrote:But.....if it doesn't?
It gets beaten with a stick till it does, Basil Fawlty style ;)

Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

Batteries that are completely flat and stay that way for a few days , are permanently damaged, sometime in the future, it will prematurely fail.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

^ yep, I forgot that part. Weakens it. Good point!

gn2 :lol: Perfect! His Reaction? Priceless
Repetitive stalling? I (we?) can relate. 1960-1970's cars - Start, Quit, Dead :x
Muscle car years 8)
shivayash

Post by shivayash »

iceman wrote:That should have read 'I take it you do not have a '15 model' or 'have a pre '15 model' :)
I have an early model, from Feb 2011 and did not know this had a different battery set up.
shivayash

Post by shivayash »

gn2 wrote:
shivayash wrote:Just out of interest, IF the battery is fine, will normal city use charge it up fully
Given that the thing is designed specifically for urban use then yes, you would expect it to be able to maintain a full charge in urban use.
One would think but not in my case.
shivayash

Post by shivayash »

WhiteNoise wrote:shivayash, one more thing :D
Please please go back and add info to your profile. We need your location. A plus would be your bike, year, and color so We can help You the very best we can. Think future as well.
Happy Trails!
Yes of course, I'll do that. In the meantime, I'm a resident of London, usually but have spent time away this year in Melbourne and Bombay. My pcx bike is a Feb 2011 model, white, naturally.
shivayash

Post by shivayash »

Jge64 wrote:Batteries that are completely flat and stay that way for a few days , are permanently damaged, sometime in the future, it will prematurely fail.
Yes this is a worry for me as I alway leave home bang on time to get to work, relying on my scooter to start on the button every time. The ctek unit I've settled on has a charge and test feature but at £58 is a little expensive, given other chargers cost as little as £15. But if you want the best...
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

I have a 2015 PCX and used the idle stop feature for two weeks, it flattened my battery.

I bought a Lithium battery and replaced the lead acid one in the bike. I now use a ctek charger and alternate between the two batteries, keeping the lead acid as a spare.

The idle stop feature remains permanently off..
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Given that a replacement battery can be had for under £20 why worry?