Rear Tyre

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

jojo87
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015 Honda MSX
Color: Red

Rear Tyre

Post by jojo87 »

Hey,

As some of you know, I had a 2015 Honda PCX,
bought it in February 2015, and it went in for it's second Service in October 2015,
I was told that the rear Tyre would need to be changed soon....
as I was selling the Bike, and it wasn't being used by myself, I didn't bother with it,
but the Dealers just emailed me today saying:

Code: Select all

Back in October when your bike was last in with us for service work we reported that your rear tyre was getting close to the wear limit. We now believe that it is likely to be under the limit and was just contacting you to see if you would like to book yourself into the workshop in the near future to have one fitted? With collection and delivery the price of this would be £90.20 Inc VAT. Please can you confirm if you still need this work to be carried out? 
I thought Tyres would last a little longer?
how many miles do the PCX Tyres actually last?
also I think they're price is awful too as I can get the Tyres for around £35 and have them fitted for £10,
a bit wary about these Dealers to be honest, they're the same ones who had my Bike for WEEKS and replaced parts etc that didn't fix anything and so on.

I asked if they could check the Wheel on my new Bike and they're charging £65 total to pick the Bike up, check the Wheel it on properly (as I put it on) and deliver the Bike back.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Re: Rear Tyre

Post by iceman »

I have over 7200 miles now and my rear IRC looks like good for 1000's more - the tread is still deep. Others have only had 4000-5000 out of it or less - depends on how you ride (I ride urban roads, 19 miles/day mostly at 30 max but some 40).
The price you mention, £90 is not just for the tyre and fitting as they mention collection and delivery which if true is reasonable.
jojo87
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jojo87 »

So 4000-5000 miles, and you're on 7200 miles....
I wasn't riding it daily, and when I did ride it was usually around 30-60 minutes each time, just normal streets, nothing rocky or anything like that,
but at 2600 they told me it would need changing soon as it was getting close to teh wear limit,
so what mileage do they expect me to be on at the moment (3 months later) to tell me it needs changing now?
do they think it might be at around 4000?
i'd like to know a rough mileage as the Bike is up for sale, it hasn't been used since that Service so it's still exactly the same,
but i'd like to tell the next owner that it will need changing at a rough mileage.

Also their delivery is £30 I think they told me before, so it's still more than what I can get it done for myself, i'll let the new owner know this as well.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

People say they front can last 3-4 times that of the rear, and I believe 5-6 1000 is a good average judging by comments people post here, but some people get near 10'000 on the rear. I had a look last week and my rear tyre does seem to have a good amount of tread left. The only issue is I lose 2-3 psi every few months and do notice an issue if I let them go too long (once the rear was down 9psi and handling was not great).
I just searched google for pcx tyre wear and that leads back to this and other forums - users report bad longevity for the PCX (2300 miles!) through to near 10K but as mentioned good rear tyre life seems to be around 4500 on average (ish).
Strangely softer tyres are supposed to grip more but wear faster, hence the IRC's should outlast others and have worse grip (which people believe is the case compared to say City Grips(?)), but I've had no issue's riding on IRC's in all weathers since May '14 and still have lots of life left. I don't go mad on fast starts or breaking but take off fairly quickly from lights and engine brake as much as possible.
jojo87
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jojo87 »

Thanks a lot for the info :-)

So i'll tell the next owner that the rear Tyre will need changing at around 4500 miles, as it's on just over 2600 at the moment.
yak
Minister of Magic
Minister of Magic
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by yak »

I think your rear tire will easily go 10,000 miles. You will see the warnings (the "wear bars") when the tire is at the end of its life. Front tire can make 18,000 miles. I am getting these numbers from previous forum posts. I have almost 7,000 miles on my PCX and the tires seem fine. Now i need to find out when most people change their spark plug? Owners manual says 5,000 miles but my bike fires up quickly. Car spark plugs can go 100,000 miles so i don't know why a scooter plug would wear out at 5,000.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

yak wrote:I think your rear tire will easily go 10,000 miles.
Highly unlikely if its an IRC oem job.
Half that is about right for one of those.
So long as the tread is at or better than the legal minimum there's no need to even mention it to the new owner, it'll only help them drive the price down.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
jojo87
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jojo87 »

Thanks gn2
I have paperwork about the Tyre that's all, so I don't want him seeing it after buying and then mentioning it to me,
unless I just not give it to him, as again, there should still be a lot of wear left on the Tyre so he can get it checked whenever.

Thanks again :-)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

The mail from the dealer is really just marketing spam and should be treated accordingly. ;)
As you are making a private sale, your scooter will be sold on an "as seen" basis with no comeback on you from the buyer.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by DAB »

Measure the tread depth. Not sure what the minimum is, think 1.4 or 1.6mm.
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

1.0mm for a motorcycle and 1.6mm for a car according to the UK Highway Code.
That's a minimum though. If they are that low the efficiency is greatly reduced.
yak
Minister of Magic
Minister of Magic
Color: black

Post by yak »

@jojo and @gn2, thanks to both of you for posting this. I did not really understand what a "wear bar" looks like. I thought they were a bright horizontal band. No, just a small bump located inside a groove in the tire. My rear tire wear band was showing. I went to the dealer. He said i need a new back tire now and soon will need a front tire. I bought both. Apx $100 for 2 tires installed.