Front fender replacement

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

purplehaze031
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Front fender replacement

Post by purplehaze031 »

hey guys, so yesterday I watched someone reverse straight into my bike :( and surprisingly the only damage was to the front fender/mudguard. One side of it is still connected to the forks but the other side both connectors have snapped, now my question is how easy is it to remove/fit a new one?
thanks
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Re: Front fender replacement

Post by Oyabun »

It is fairly easy once you remove the front wheel. I'd say it is about half an hour all together - but this already contains the time spent with secure lifting and supporting the front, removing the brake caliper, undoing the crews holding the fender and replacing it. Theoretically you might be able to change it without the front wheel removal, but I don't have the dexterity of a gynecologyst so for me it is easier this way.
Once you're there I suggest to take a look on the front caliper. The pin what provides the sliding adjustment possibility of the floating caliper can get fairly dirty and stuck or difficult to move. with a good cleaning and new lubrication (I use EBC copper compound caliper grease) makes wonders with the front brake feel and braking modulation.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

too bad averzun3's bike is not black... he would probably give you his fender right now
Attachments
crashed.jpg
crashed.jpg (93.59 KiB) Viewed 2221 times
purplehaze031

Post by purplehaze031 »

God damn lucky he's okay! Will I be able to put the caliper straight back on after taking it off or would I need to bleed it?
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

purplehaze031 wrote:God damn lucky he's okay! Will I be able to put the caliper straight back on after taking it off or would I need to bleed it?
Wish I could help you with that question but I haven't needed to pull the front calipers or replace shoes yet. You need a PCX whisperer and they are sleepy in the winter.
purplehaze031

Post by purplehaze031 »

As should most riders be lol
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

purplehaze031 wrote:God damn lucky he's okay! Will I be able to put the caliper straight back on after taking it off or would I need to bleed it?
No need to bleed it after simply unbolting it
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

That crash survivor list is getting pretty long, while the whisperers list is getting shorter. Now that maddiedog no longer has his PCX I hope he doesn't drop off of the list. He has taught us a lot about the little PCX. I would not have even considered tearing my bike down if he hadn't helped me in the learning process. Along with his hands on help, he gave me the How-to threads that I use quite often. This forum has been great. Hopefully it will be around when the next generation of riders steps up to ride one of these baby spitfires. MYbe by that time they will have boosted the engine a little more.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Seem to be a lot of people reporting crashes and spills on the PCX the past 12 months - I wonder if that is because there are so many more PCX users on this forum rather than Forza's or their other bikes, or just because the PCX is more prone to tumbling if people grab the CBS brakes or such.
Ton1984

Post by Ton1984 »

I have change fender in my PCX. I is simple job. Fender ordered from powerbypcx. No need to bleed. Best you do if you take off front wheel.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

purplehaze031 wrote:Will I be able to put the caliper straight back on after taking it off or would I need to bleed it?
Doubt you'll need to remove the caliper but if you find you have to remove it, absolutely do not touch the hydraulic hose connection, just remove the mount bolts.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

What happened?..taking the curve at high speed and hitting some water? No skid marks no other vehicle .
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

He got clipped on his handlebar by a driver passing him. I haven't heard of that happening very often. I think the bike bit the graveyard dust.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:He got clipped on his handlebar by a driver passing him. I haven't heard of that happening very often. I think the bike bit the graveyard dust.

Slight whiff isn't there?