GLP variator thumbs up or down

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

Bidlack78
Year: 2013
Color: Red

GLP variator thumbs up or down

Post by Bidlack78 »

I'm thinking of trying this variator from powerbypcx. Anyone have any comments? Thanks.
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red

Re: GLP variator thumbs up or down

Post by j.d.b. »

What does it do better than the stock O E set-up? Is there a problem with the O E parts? I'm curious what the point of all these variator options are given Honda's excellent set-up, tuned to balance all the things their system is? What's the trade-off? More performance with less durability or vice versa? Unless there's some shortcoming of the O E system why replace it with after-market? A solution looking for a problem?
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waspmike »

Generally speaking why not. Someone has to take one for thee team?

How much did they quote for shipping to the US? Site says 12 EUR for me but that maybe looking at my location to do the calculation.

Why give 3 x 11 and 3 x 18 weights why not simply 6 x 14.5? I think on this forum 6x13 seems to be the ideal using a std. type variator.

Some Malaysians/Indonesians claim 140 kph with a GLP but if I do a quick bit of math. Given that 125kph is possible on a stock bike with a standard diameter variator the GLP would need to be 131mm in diameter or at the very least the belt would need to travel out that far. One can definitely see that the outer pulley has been recessed to allow the belt to travel out further. Is there enough room in the crankcase for 131mm. PCXdeamon would know? BPT7594 is using a modified SH150 variator which would be 128mm dia.

That 131mm adds 22.3mm to the required length of the belt. Can the belt travel any further down the secondary pulley to get that length back?

But again, why not if the price is right then you can tell us all what the result is.
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waspmike »

Correction to above. The weights are 3x11 and 3 x 15 which whao surprisingly = 6 x 13!
BPT7594
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: Black

Post by BPT7594 »

I also use a shorter belt from the pcx 1st gen. Cheat a little but the belt will be stressed out sooner.
About aftermarket vario well to me the stock vario is slow and unresponsive. Shaky at low speed too. Demand and supply. If there's no one with the same feeling as me these aftermarket vario makers will not exist then. I admit there are aftermarket varios that are a waste of time and money but some are very good.
Bidlack78

Post by Bidlack78 »

Right I'm just trying to find which variator is worth it. Faster throttle response would be nice. Top end I don't care
BPT7594
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: Black

Post by BPT7594 »

You should check out the MFR2 vario I think. I read that Vlad has some good experience with it and it's cheap too.
I'm using Yuminashi Torque Control but my scooter is 164cc so really cannot give an exact review..
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waspmike »

I'm still on the case! So far from what i can garner. The GLP is a machined version of a Honda Vario variator. Honda Vario being the Asian version of the original SH150.
As can be seen from the GLP pictures and scaled off. It is the same diameter as a PCX but the ramp path section is round not hexagonal like the PCX. This probably increases the distance the belt is pushed outwards, as indicated by the machining of the outer sheave.

Not much on acceleration only references to extra speed but Honda Vario also has higher gearing than PCX.
Bidlack78

Post by Bidlack78 »

Thanks for the input so far.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

I agree Honda has done all the engineering and knows what is best for its product. I hear that some say sliders work better and so on.. but laws of physics alone will tell you that a rolling dynamic creates less friction than a sliding one. If sliding was so great all trailers would have skids in lieu of wheels. Why am I wrong ????
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

easyrider wrote:I agree Honda has done all the engineering and knows what is best for its product. I hear that some say sliders work better and so on.. but laws of physics alone will tell you that a rolling dynamic creates less friction than a sliding one. If sliding was so great all trailers would have skids in lieu of wheels. Why am I wrong ????
because they slide about a half inch driven by centrifugal force whilst contacting a spinning plate. Rollers don't really roll very far at all either, that's why they can get flat spots. They are just 8 weights of different shapes moving a very short distance up a little ramp. Changing their weights changes the belts movement between the two drive faces depending on the RPM.
Attachments
wtf.jpg
wtf.jpg (11.3 KiB) Viewed 1846 times
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waspmike »

homie wrote: ,,,Rollers don't really roll very far at all either...
hey Homie I thought you said you understood that they don't and can't roll. Still not found two hard cover books yet?
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

waspmike wrote:
homie wrote: ,,,Rollers don't really roll very far at all either...
hey Homie I thought you said you understood that they don't and can't roll. Still not found two hard cover books yet?
LOL I'm trying MIKE! I didn't think anyone would give her anything on that question if she is under the impression these rollers are spinning :) I remember my first day, please don't confuse me anymore than I am about all the action that belts see's between those two pulleys.
Attachments
mac.jpg
mac.jpg (6.61 KiB) Viewed 1830 times