How-To: Remove rear wheel

Maintenance, guides, and walkthroughs for your PCX. Please do not post questions about repairing or fixing your bike here.

Moderator: Modsquad

Slickvic
Regular User
Regular User

How-To: Remove rear wheel

Post by Slickvic »

NOTE: I do not yet have a service manual so I was not able to provide all the torque values. Check further down the page for those. Sorry. :oops:

REMOVAL:

1) Start by borrowing your wife/girlfriend's cosmetic mirror and set it under the scooter. I had a motorcycle mirror handy so it had to do. Lie on the ground and loosen the two 10mm muffler bolts at the manifold. Use an extension to avoid swearing.

2) Loosen the 3 bolts holding the muffler. From this view we can see that the heat shield does not need to be removed.

Remove the 2 lower bolts and the the upper bolt and then remove the muffler and place it somewhere.

3) The swing arm is held in place by 2 bolts (14mm) and the axle nut (24mm) Also the rear shock absorber bolt (12mm) is secured to it.

4) Squeeze the rear brake the rear brake while loosening the axle nut. When reassembling, torque this nut to 87ft-lbs. (118 N-m)

Note: Be careful not to lose the bearing spacer on the back side of the swingarm. It is only held in place by grease.

Finally, remove the 5mm Allen head bolt from the plastic mud guard. (3/16 allen will work if you turn slowly and do not strip the head)

5) Push the shock absorber and mud guard out of the way, then pull the wheel off the axle.

ASSEMBLY:
Reverse the assembly process with these additional instructions.

6) It’s a good idea to use anti-sieze compound on all the bolt threads. (grease works also)

7) While holding the muffler, insert the top bolt and hand-tighten it a few turns. This will allow the muffler to hang freely while you secure the manifold nuts.

Laying on the ground, use that handy mirror again to line up the muffler to the exhaust manifold bolts. Install the manifold nuts and finger-tighten until snug. Do not torque the nuts yet.

8. Install the remaining muffler bolts and finger-tighten all 3. Do Not torque these yet.

9) Now torque the muffler nuts. (as specified in the service manual)
Finally, torque the 3 muffler bolts. (as specified in the service manual)

10) Stand back and congratulation yourself on a job well done. Optional: Have a cold beer or take a nice long ride, but not both.
Previous - 1986 Honda Elite 250, 2007 Ninja 500r, 2013 Honda PCX-150
Current - 2015 Honda CBR650F :o
Slickvic
Regular User
Regular User

Re: How to remove rear wheel

Post by Slickvic »

If you want to replace the tire yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=So5bsBcBN34
Previous - 1986 Honda Elite 250, 2007 Ninja 500r, 2013 Honda PCX-150
Current - 2015 Honda CBR650F :o
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Nice how-to, but for the time it takes, removing the heat shield makes the job easier imo.
The mirror idea is a good one, I just fiddle around with my fingers... ooo-err missus as Frankie Howerd would say!
Remember that the exhaust gasket needs to be seated properly before and during re-assembly ;)
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Wow! excellent slick! Great photo's....Thank you! This forum R o c k s 8)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

This is a good how-to to have, thanks for posting it!

The shop near my house charges $28 to replace a tire if the wheel is off the bike, and $60 if it's on the bike, so doing this yourself can save you a lot of money when your tire gets worn down.

While on the topic of tires, the standard tire sizes for the PCX are:
Front: 90/90-14
Back: 100/90-14

Also, I put up a handy tire calculator here to get an idea of how well other sizes will fit. There are many sizes that fit the PCX, particularly if you get a *slightly* wider tire: http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: How-To: Remove rear wheel

Post by logepoge1 »

Slickvic wrote:If you want to replace the tire yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=So5bsBcBN34
What was the stuff he rubbed on? Is it needed?
ImageImage
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

logepoge1 wrote:
What was the stuff he rubbed on? Is it needed?
It's lube. I use Windex, works just as well. Use the generic, spray on liberally.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

Just got tire replaced and freaking wreck it
ImageImage
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Did that with my Yamaha RD350LC.
It had been in for an egine repair, I got it back, fitted a pair of spanking new shiny shiny chrome Micron spanny boxes, set off down the road and immediately crashed it at a roundabout less than two miles from my home.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
adambee

Post by adambee »

I got to the part where I'm supposed to pull off the swingarm, but it won't come off the axle! I sprayed it with a bunch of lithium grease, and it rotates around the axle just fine, but it wont budge as far as coming off that axle.

Any ideas?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Lithium grease won't penetrate to release the wheel from the spindly. Try using diesel or penetrating oil.

Bit of a bodge but I'd slacken the nut a couple of threads and ride it up the street weaving from side to side to see if it shifted
ONTWOWHEELS
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: WHITE

Post by ONTWOWHEELS »

Very good and thanks for sharing !
HONDA PCX 125 /2015 - HONDA PCX 150/2016
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Slickvic wrote:If you want to replace the tire yourself:
You will regret the effort it takes to remove it yourself... crazy hard on a 14 inch wheel. I bet one pack it he can't get the new tire on.
Attachments
question.jpg
question.jpg (11.3 KiB) Viewed 13323 times
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Would this help?
A few blasts. Sit/penetrate. Spray again If necessary. Sit/penetrate.
Then....Bust a move :D

Maybe???
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (29.8 KiB) Viewed 13310 times
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
adambee

Post by adambee »

I've been hitting it with the WD-40. I'll look for some of that stuff too, though.

I noticed there's a bearing part in the middle that won't rotate. Not sure if it's supposed to. The swingarm rotates but the ring in the middle around the spindle does not rotate.

I guess next I'll try laying it on the ground and lifting by the swingarm.

If that doesn't work then I'll put it back together but leave some slack on the axle nut and rock it side to side as I push it down the driveway. I'm reluctant to get on top of it with it loose, though-- I don't want to bend the other side of the suspension!

Aaand I guess if none of that works I'll just borrow a pal's pickup truck and take it to a shop.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

adambee wrote: I guess if none of that works I'll just borrow a pal's pickup truck and take it to a shop.
dont feel too bad some of us have tried to change a tire and failed. I can get them off but can't get a new one on without the help of a machine.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

PB blaster works miracles, I use it when we're trying to unf*ck things on my friend's Jeep that were seized.

You really should use an impact gun to get it off if you have too much trouble. I am typically opposed to using impact guns for tightening (too easy for at-home mechanics like us to cross-thread things), but they're great for getting things apart!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

homie wrote:
adambee wrote: I guess if none of that works I'll just borrow a pal's pickup truck and take it to a shop.
dont feel too bad some of us have tried to change a tire and failed. I can get them off but can't get a new one on without the help of a machine.
You just need a couple of decent long tyre levers, its not that difficult to get them on and off.
Tommyaweej

Post by Tommyaweej »

I am trying to remove the exhaust but can't get one of the bolts off, as theit is a piece of metal in the way

Help please
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Nice photos of this wheel removal! Good job.
(I photo'd a DIY of removing a Kymco LIKE200i rear wheel for a new Michelin Power Pure - only addition was I needed a cheap puller to gently remove the fork. And, agree an impact gun to remove that big axle nut is safer and less prone to flip the scooter when using a breaker bar!)
Again ,nice photos of a DIY on a clean scooter!
Fish