Undecided buyer of a new Forza

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Road-Dog
Year: 2015
Color: Red

Undecided buyer of a new Forza

Post by Road-Dog »

:D Hello all. I am considering the purchase of a 2015 Honda Forza 300. I have owned many brands over my 30 years of riding including a 1980? shadow, 1987? Intruder 1400, 2000 Harley ultra classic eletra glide, 2003 Honda Silverwing and a 2013 Honda SH150. As I'm (gracefully) aging I'm becoming partial to scooters more and more. I think they are not only fun but useful as well. My thoughts.

My questions about this bike are power and top case weight rating. I'm 6' weighing in after a good meal at 240lbs. I read your threads and watch YouTube videos saying the Forza can handle as a routine (not stressing the engine) 65MPH. My SH150 stressed at 55MPH so I sold it after one year. Am I safe to buy it for daily trips exceeding 100 miles? What is the weight limit of the Givi top case?.......not what Givi recommends but rather what Honda says.

Thanks for any feedback.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Undecided buyer of a new Forza

Post by gn2 »

It will do 65mph till the tank is empty and that will be around 150 miles.
200 mile tank range is possible depending how you ride it.
You might not need a top case, the underseat storage is pretty big.
Givi cases come in two styles, Monolock and Monokey.
The Monolock ones take 3kg the Monokey ones take 10kg.
Either is perfectly OK for the scooter.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Blackbeard1718
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Blackbeard1718 »

Road-Dog wrote::D Hello all. I am considering the purchase of a 2015 Honda Forza 300. I have owned many brands over my 30 years of riding including a 1980? shadow, 1987? Intruder 1400, 2000 Harley ultra classic eletra glide, 2003 Honda Silverwing and a 2013 Honda SH150. As I'm (gracefully) aging I'm becoming partial to scooters more and more. I think they are not only fun but useful as well. My thoughts.

My questions about this bike are power and top case weight rating. I'm 6' weighing in after a good meal at 240lbs. I read your threads and watch YouTube videos saying the Forza can handle as a routine (not stressing the engine) 65MPH. My SH150 stressed at 55MPH so I sold it after one year. Am I safe to buy it for daily trips exceeding 100 miles? What is the weight limit of the Givi top case?.......not what Givi recommends but rather what Honda says.

Thanks for any feedback.

WELCOME ABOARD, SHIPMATE! Image

To answer some of your questions:

1. I'm 6'1" and weigh 250+, and I have NO PROBLEMS getting around on the Forza. That thing can MOVE!

2. The Forza is MORE than adequate for a 100 Mile-A-Day Road-Trip! There shouldn't be any issues at all. It's a capable machine, like many other 300 Class Scooters nowadays. FWIW, the 250 Class used to be the Mid-Range Maxi-Scoot Sweet-Spot, between the 150cc and 400cc Scoots. Riders like me that have ridden 250cc's, always wanted just a bit more POWER, without having to graduate to a 400cc Class, which can be an extra 100#'s of Scoot under you. A little too much Scoot for some, like me! Used to Ride one several years ago, but too heavy for me now. The Forza fits that niche perfectly!

3. While the Forza has a good sized Front & Back Trunk, it's lacking a bit in the Mid-Section. I get my 2XL Riding Jacket in there just fine, if I double it over in the Back Section. The Front Section is a pain to get to for us Taller Riders, so I just keep a First Aid Kit, Tire Patch Kit, CO2 Inflator Kit, and Straps/Bungees in the Front Trunk Section. My Helmet goes in the Givi B37 Monolock Case that I have mounted. FWIW, I'd recommend getting the Forza 300 Givi Fit Kit Rack Base Plate, which Bolts to the Forza's Frame in the rear. Yes... you DO have to Drill four Holes in the Triangle Upper Deck Tupperware, but you don't see much of it when the Rack is Mounted. I recommend this over the Universal Givi Mounting Plate that comes with the Trunk. The Fit-Kit is a MUCH Sturdier option!

Being a former Big Bike Rider, you may be familiar with the Biker's Friend Roll Bags, that mount on the Seat Back or Rack. I keep light stuff in there like a Frogg Togg Rain Suit, Windbreaker, etc., and try to store the Heavier Items under the Seat, to keep the Center of Gravity Low.

Here are a couple of Pics of my Biker's Friend Roll Bag mounted on the Seat Back. Also, notice that I removed the Butt Bumper, to give me a couple more Inches of Leg Room. That, and rolling the Handle Bars forward a bit, work Great!

Again, WELCOME to the Forum, and Good Luck with the Future Forza Purchase. Let us know what you decide to do!

Cheers!

BB
Blackbeard

"The Floggings will continue, until Morale improves!"

Current Scoot: 2014 Honda Forza 300 ABS (Red October)

Former Scoots: TNG Verona 150, Kymco People S200, Kymco People S250, Suzuki Burgman 400, Honda Ruckus 50, Yamaha Zuma 125, Kymco People GTi300, Honda Big Ruckus PS250
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waspmike »

If there is a SYM dealer near you go and look at and ride a SYM GTS/JOYMAX 300i then decide!
TonyM
Regular User
Regular User
Color: red

Post by TonyM »

I took a chance and purchased a new, 2015 Forza 300 in July. I was disappointed with the lack of storage capacity under the seat and in the glove boxes. I added a 37 liter Givi Monolock topcase to it and that helped a lot. And I had to have the tall Honda windscreen installed because the standard one is way too low to be useful.

The scooter was fun to ride around town and on local backroads but, I was unable to handle the rough suspension and uncomfortable seat even with two pads on it to add some cushioning. Oh, I only weigh 165 lbs.

But worse than that, it scared the hell out of me whenever I crossed a tall bridge - the Antioch (CA) Bridge near the edge of SF Bay. And the wind blast from big rigs on the main road to and from my town (two lane state highway with lots of big rigs). It had me getting nearly blown off the road onto the shoulder.

After a couple of months, I traded it on a new Burgman 400 ABS, which is what I had before (a 2008 pre ABS model). I am very happy again. I should have bought the Burg in the first place! It is so much more powerful, comfortable, and much more stable. Better storage design under the seat and I just bought a Givi mount for the Monolock top case. It comes standard with a tall windscreen too. I'm already planning my overnight rides for this Spring, Summer and Fall 2016.
US Army vet
Previous rides: many motorcycles; 2007 Honda Silverwing; 2009 Kymco S250; and 2008 Burg 400
TonyM
Regular User
Regular User

Post by TonyM »

Blackbeard1718, I like the way you have your Forza set up! Curious how you secure the roll bag to the seat - details please. Thanks.
US Army vet
Previous rides: many motorcycles; 2007 Honda Silverwing; 2009 Kymco S250; and 2008 Burg 400
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waspmike »

TonyM wrote:Blackbeard1718, I like the way you have your Forza set up! Curious how you secure the roll bag to the seat - details please. Thanks.
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5238
Road-Dog
Color: Red

Post by Road-Dog »

Thank you all for the help. Of all the bikes I have owned my favorite was the Honda Silverwing 600. Of all the brands I have owned my Honda bikes (including my sons) were the hands down winner in both reliability, usability and performance so I'm sold on Honda. I looked at both the Yamaha T-Max and the Suzuki Burgman 400 but other than a bit more power (and price) they didn't excite me. I looked at a new 2013 Honda Silverwing 600 ABS for exactly the same price as a new Forza but don't like the idea of buying a discontinued bike already two years old.

Again thanks for the articulate feedback from everyone. Chances are I'll buy the Forza and "cringe" when I finally open up the throttle. I experienced the same "cringe" when I bought the Silverwing and was delighted but was disappointed in the SH150i. I'm not a speed-demon but do need to maintain an unstressed (no redline) 65MPH in the hilly roads I live around.

Having fun shopping for a new toy I do not own is as fun as buying the bike itself. I have already found websites that have the accessories I want such as a Givi windshield, Top case, mounting hardware and UTPR.com for my backrest. Throttle control by 2wheelride.com.

again thanks for the feedback.
Blackbeard1718
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Blackbeard1718 »

waspmike wrote:
TonyM wrote:Blackbeard1718, I like the way you have your Forza set up! Curious how you secure the roll bag to the seat - details please. Thanks.
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5238

Thanks for the Assist WaspMike!

Cheers!

BB
Blackbeard

Former Scoots: TNG Verona 150, Kymco People S200, Kymco People S250, Suzuki Burgman 400, Honda Ruckus 50, Yamaha Zuma 125, Kymco People GTi300, Honda Big Ruckus PS250
Blackbeard1718
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Blackbeard1718 »

TonyM wrote:
After a couple of months, I traded it on a new Burgman 400 ABS, which is what I had before (a 2008 pre ABS model). I am very happy again. I should have bought the Burg in the first place! It is so much more powerful, comfortable, and much more stable. Better storage design under the seat and I just bought a Givi mount for the Monolock top case. It comes standard with a tall windscreen too. I'm already planning my overnight rides for this Spring, Summer and Fall 2016.

TonyM!

Since you were asking about how I had my Biker's Friend Roll Bag connected on my Forza..... now that you have a Burg 400 (What Color???), here's a Pic of my Former Burg 400, with the Same Bag hooked to the Pillion Seat.

The Bag comes with 2-Sets of Bungee Hooks and Straps, and I had the 4-Hooks Hooked to the Bottom of the Seat Back, and the Straps tied around the Backrest Post to keep it securely on there. REALLY comes in handy!

Cheers!

BB
Blackbeard

TonyM
Regular User
Regular User

Post by TonyM »

Blackbeard, thanks for the info. I currently have a nice Givi duffle type bag with one set of bungies but i can't get them to stay hooked. I also have a Roadgear Jumbo Hauler bag but the bungies won't hook either.

My former Burg 400 was a 2008 non ABS model. It was the gloss metallic black and showed dust like crazy. My new, 2015 Burg is the metallic Matte Black - the only color offered this year, I believe and I'm trying to get used to it.

I will fiddle around with the cords and some straps that I have to see if I can figure out a way to strap down one of my bags to the top of the seat behind me. Thanks again!
US Army vet
phantom309

Post by phantom309 »

if your after smaller engine with plenty of grunt . piaggio X10 350 has plenty ..but for me my forza does well.. i may look into lighter rollers next year( 19grams instead of 23) if i don't buy the maxsym 500...
having an adventure before dementia !!!!!!!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

phantom309 wrote: if i don't buy the maxsym 500...
What Maxsym 500?
None in a dealer anywhere, just a few pictures on the internet.
You might as well be wanting a Ducati scooter :lol:
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
phantom309

Post by phantom309 »

you know when someone just knows how to piss you off just by opening there mouth....
having an adventure before dementia !!!!!!!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Can't see what's to be pissed off about.
Maybe a lack of Maxsyms in UK showrooms and the 500 yet to be announced as a production model never mind go on sale?
(2017 at the earliest, if ever)
And a Happy Christmas to you too :)