Hello all. I need a little friendly advice… thanks!

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Hello all. I need a little friendly advice… thanks!

Post by you you »

GatorGreg wrote:
homie wrote:she might not care to ride after you go fishing a couple times with it.
Here's a scooter you can take fishing :D

Now that is seriously fantastic.
florida-boy

Post by florida-boy »

Thanks for all the help. I found a 2012 Honda Silverwing brand new at a dealership for 7K (marked down from 10K, fresh out of the crate with no fluids in it), they set it up and delivered it to my house yesterday. Haven't left the neighborhood with it (of course, its been raining almost non-stop) but I really think I'm gonna like it. Not going to take it fishing though… at least for a while. :lol:
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

Congratulations, florida-boy! You're going to like that scoot. Don't forget to check out http://www.silverwing600.com/. Lots of good info there.

Best,
Bash
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Congrats, good for you to get a deal like that!
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
Ben2talk
Year: 2015
Color: Grey/black

Post by Ben2talk »

florida-boy wrote:Hi, I'm Brad and I live in Jacksonville, FL. I'll be 38 next week, I'm married with a 3 y/o boy and spend a lot of time on the water. My wife and I recently had our 10 yr wedding anniversary and went to Savannah, GA. We rented a 50cc scooter and had a great time. Since then I got my motorcycle endorsement/license and have decided to buy a scooter - only nicer/faster than what we rented.
That was my first experience on a scooter. My brother and father both ride Harleys; my dad not so much anymore. I just want something for cruising around town and I want something that my wife and I can take on the hgwy for trips to St Augustine (about an hour away).
I'm 5-11 and 200 lbs. I started out looking at the PCX 150 but have reservations. I fear that after owning it for a short while I will regret not getting something bigger. I want a scooter that's highway capable, will perform well with 2-up and offer enough leg room (I'm 5/11 but have long legs). I've been looking online at the Forza and Silverwing but I'm not sure I want to pony up the dough on the Silverwing. There aren't many scooters sold where I live and the local dealer doesn't offer test rides; I'm going to look for a more committed scooter dealer starting tomorrow, but in the meantime, I happened upon this forum and thought I'd sign up and ask for some advice.
Specifically, should I look past the PCX 150 to a larger scooter like the Forza or Silverwing since highway capability, comfort with 2-up and leg room are important to me? I'd love to hear what experienced owners have to say, thanks!
I had a GSX before - I wouldn't choose a scooter over 150cc for anything. They're designed for lower speeds (unless you look at bigger wheeled scoots). I wouldn't touch a Forza when I could have a CBR150 that'll be faster and more comfortable and far cheaper.

[URL=http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/pcx150/2015/bennn/389324]
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I think you will be very happy with the Silverwing. Maddiedog had one for a while but ended up down sizing to a pcx...and then up sizing to a bigger motorcycle. He had driven then Silverwing to Florida and back (from Atlanta ), so it can do highways quite well.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Ben2talk
Year: 2015
Color: Grey/black

Post by Ben2talk »

florida-boy wrote:Hi, I'm Brad and I live in Jacksonville, FL. I'll be 38 next week, I'm married with a 3 y/o boy and spend a lot of time on the water. My wife and I recently had our 10 yr wedding anniversary and went to Savannah, GA. We rented a 50cc scooter and had a great time. Since then I got my motorcycle endorsement/license and have decided to buy a scooter - only nicer/faster than what we rented.
That was my first experience on a scooter. My brother and father both ride Harleys; my dad not so much anymore. I just want something for cruising around town and I want something that my wife and I can take on the hgwy for trips to St Augustine (about an hour away).
I'm 5-11 and 200 lbs. I started out looking at the PCX 150 but have reservations. I fear that after owning it for a short while I will regret not getting something bigger. I want a scooter that's highway capable, will perform well with 2-up and offer enough leg room (I'm 5/11 but have long legs). I've been looking online at the Forza and Silverwing but I'm not sure I want to pony up the dough on the Silverwing. There aren't many scooters sold where I live and the local dealer doesn't offer test rides; I'm going to look for a more committed scooter dealer starting tomorrow, but in the meantime, I happened upon this forum and thought I'd sign up and ask for some advice.
Specifically, should I look past the PCX 150 to a larger scooter like the Forza or Silverwing since highway capability, comfort with 2-up and leg room are important to me? I'd love to hear what experienced owners have to say, thanks!
Personally I'm not sure about the wisdom of 'igger scooters. For an ecomonical ride, definitely you should look at 250cc and up. Motorbikes are very comfortable, I think the PCX less so. I bought a PCX for the stupid economy, just around town and no highway it's great... but it IS very much more bumpy over uneven road surfaces compared to every motorcycle I ever rode before.

[URL=http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/pcx150/2015/bennn/389324]
RRocket

Post by RRocket »

Get a Burgman 200. I was impressed with it. Definitely superior on the highway to the PCX.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Ben2talk wrote:
Personally I'm not sure about the wisdom of 'igger scooters. For an ecomonical ride, definitely you should look at 250cc and up. Motorbikes are very comfortable, I think the PCX less so. I bought a PCX for the stupid economy, just around town and no highway it's great... but it IS very much more bumpy over uneven road surfaces compared to every motorcycle I ever rode before.

Totally agree. And it's not earth shatteringly uncomfortable. It a small reasonably fast scooter that's great in town but would take you twice around the world with a couple of oil changes.

It's so reliable it's probably not for for the over anxious.