Rear Shocks

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Kompact
Regular User
Regular User

Rear Shocks

Post by Kompact »

Just bought a new 2014. Put 600k on it so far.

When I round a moderate corner going 100+km the rear end slips a lot. Just little slips but enough that I don't like it. Is it that the stock shocks suck or do I need to adjust the tension? I come in at 180 and they are at the stock tension - whatever that may be.

Thoughts?
WaunaPCX
Year: 2015
Color: Pearl white

Re: Rear Shocks

Post by WaunaPCX »

The stock shocks aren't the best but they're good enough you shouldn't slip under normal riding. Are you still on OEM tires? upgrading those helps with grip.
My PCX ride video library: http://touringkeypeninsula.wordpress.com/
chainsaw
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 150esp
Color: white/carbon

Post by chainsaw »

its probably not the tyre slipping out, but the stock rear shocks do pogo a bit if you are any larger than a small japanese/thai man.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Kompact wrote:Just bought a new 2014. Put 600k on it so far.

When I round a moderate corner going 100+km the rear end slips a lot. Just little slips but enough that I don't like it. Is it that the stock shocks suck or do I need to adjust the tension? I come in at 180 and they are at the stock tension - whatever that may be.

Thoughts?
Is it slipping lots or little? Or lots a little or a little lots?

Doubt if it is any of these and you are new to riding and are just feeling the road.
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014

Post by Mister Paul »

Kompact wrote:Just bought a new 2014. Put 600k on it so far.

Thoughts?
Mine doesn't slip, but the shocks do sink into the road a bit when cornering.
TonyM
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: red

Post by TonyM »

In case you haven't already checked, maybe you should check the tires' air pressure.

Also, the dealer should have cautioned you about taking it easy on the tires during the first 300 miles due to the film of stuff that the factory puts on them and needs to wear off by normal riding.

I had new tires installed on my Burg 400 once and on the way home, the bike handled funny. I thought that it was the preservative on them so I slowed down even more & rode even more cautiously. The next day I checked the air pressure and they were both way low - I guess the tech had only put enough air in them after he mounted them to seat the tires but then forgot to fill them the rest of the way.
US Army vet
Previous rides: many motorcycles; 2007 Honda Silverwing; 2009 Kymco S250; and 2008 Burg 400
Kompact
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Kompact »

Thanks for the responses.

Not a new rider, been a year round scooterist for about a decade, just new to the Forza.
Tire pressure was the second thing I checked when I got it from the dealer - after the oil.
I took it really easy for about the first 400km so the tires could wear in and start to grip.
They grip really well now except at speeds of about 100k (60mph) when rounding moderate corners.
The rear end hops slightly. I feel like it is a suspension issue and not the tires.
I do have some new tires on order as the stock Dunlops are awful in the cold and rain and I ride year round.
Kompact
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Kompact »

dadragon
Regular User
Regular User

Post by dadragon »

Mine does it only when it rains.
So I'm pretty sure the tyres are crap.

Soon I will buy Michelin's. They offer way more grip.
justbuck1
Color: Weiss

Post by justbuck1 »

Stock tire sucks...upgrade...as far as shocks consider Biturbo out of Italy...they have the most experience with scooter suspension...and if you get a good tech he can customize the ride for both front and rear.
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Post by Oyabun »

Probably just a spelling mistake, but the Italian company is called Bitubo (roughly translates as dual tubes) and they have some nice kits.
However as the PCX is dominantly made for the South East Asian markets, the YSS kits (also manufactured either in Thailand or Korea) are just as good or better if one comes across them.
TechFrog

Post by TechFrog »

My biggest complaint with the Forza were the rear shocks. Probably the worst stock suspension on any Honda I've owned. After much research, I ended up with Malossi shocks and it completely transforms the scooter. I also changed the rubber to Dunlop SX01. At the time of my purchase, they didn't make the correct size for Forza, so I went up a step and fit and ride are fantastic. As great as that upgrade was, the Malossi shocks were the biggest improvement.

Side bonus: The adjustment for spring load on the Malossi's are on top instead of on bottom like the stock. So now, it's easy to adjust!!!
Kompact
Regular User
Regular User

YSS

Post by Kompact »

I ended up ordering these guys. They showed up and I'll get them installed one night this week after work. I post some pics and impressions after riding on them for a couple of days.
Attachments
shocks-absorber-gaz-adjustable-white-yss-honda-forza-nss-300.jpg
shocks-absorber-gaz-adjustable-white-yss-honda-forza-nss-300.jpg (34.66 KiB) Viewed 3739 times
SteveP
Regular User
Regular User
Color: red

Post by SteveP »

TechFrog wrote:My biggest complaint with the Forza were the rear shocks. Probably the worst stock suspension on any Honda I've owned. After much research, I ended up with Malossi shocks and it completely transforms the scooter. I also changed the rubber to Dunlop SX01. At the time of my purchase, they didn't make the correct size for Forza, so I went up a step and fit and ride are fantastic. As great as that upgrade was, the Malossi shocks were the biggest improvement.

Side bonus: The adjustment for spring load on the Malossi's are on top instead of on bottom like the stock. So now, it's easy to adjust!!!
My biggest and only significant gripe with the Forza is the ride at the rear. I'd like to get something "softer" as far as the rear shock/spring goes. I weigh about 145 pounds, so am not overpowering the stock shocks. I'd be interested in trying the Malossi shocks if they'd help. So, if you find the ride much improved and don't mind saying...what do you weigh? Thanks
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Have read many a complaint about the rear suspension of a scooter.
It is what it is.....Look at what all is carried by that rear suspension.
Also have read any number of reviews by scooter riders who have invested a lot of money into after-market shocks....and every now and then I read a refreshing comment on this matter of after-market shocks: "Nothing changed. it is a scooter!" (it is hard to admit that the $ was wasted - and that the stock factory shock is not 'crap' - but actually a pretty good piece of kit from the people who build these scooters) The design of after-market shocks also do not match the rest of the scooter - which impresses some....like the generic, louder, mufflers that fit everything and cost a bundle and look mismatched to the scooter/bike. (foreign sticker makes it better, yes?!).

It is a scooter - with the engine ,gears, CVT and the rear wheel banging up and down as a unit....

Usually adjusting the pre-load, and running recommended PSI in the tires, is the best bet for handling and ride on a scooter.Fish
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

fish wrote:Have read many a complaint about the rear suspension of a scooter.
It is what it is.....Look at what all is carried by that rear suspension.
Also have read any number of reviews by scooter riders who have invested a lot of money into after-market shocks....and every now and then I read a refreshing comment on this matter of after-market shocks: "Nothing changed. it is a scooter!" (it is hard to admit that the $ was wasted - and that the stock factory shock is not 'crap' - but actually a pretty good piece of kit from the people who build these scooters) The design of after-market shocks also do not match the rest of the scooter - which impresses some....like the generic, louder, mufflers that fit everything and cost a bundle and look mismatched to the scooter/bike. (foreign sticker makes it better, yes?!).

It is a scooter - with the engine ,gears, CVT and the rear wheel banging up and down as a unit....

Usually adjusting the pre-load, and running recommended PSI in the tires, is the best bet for handling and ride on a scooter.Fish

Top quality post
glencoeman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by glencoeman »

It seems that a lot of Honda's have poor rear suspension. I also own a NC700S Honda motorcycle and the rear shock was just as poor as the Forza. I rectified it by buying a rear shock from Nitron.
Blackbeard1718
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Blackbeard1718 »

glencoeman wrote:It seems that a lot of Honda's have poor rear suspension.

The Honda Big Ruckus PS250, was also known for a Weak Mono-Shock on the left side. When I bought mine Used in Feb '14, it had 2,622 Miles, and the Shock was Mushy. One of the BR Forum Recommended Fixes for the BR's Shock problem, was to replace it with an Aftermarket. IIRC, the three main Shocks Recommended, were the Bitubo, YSS & Ohlins. Having read Reviews for each Shock, I went with the Ohlins as my choice. Great Investment! They Pre-Set it at the Dealer, based on my Weight (Geared-Up), and whether or not I was Riding 2-Up or not. It was an easy Install when I got it, and I didn't have to Re-Adjust it at all. PRICEY!!!!!..... but it worked like a Champ! Had the Scoot sitting up 2 additional inches, from the Soft Stock Shock.

Cheers!

BB
Blackbeard

"The Floggings will continue, until Morale improves!"

Current Scoot: 2014 Honda Forza 300 ABS (Red October)

Former Scoots: TNG Verona 150, Kymco People S200, Kymco People S250, Suzuki Burgman 400, Honda Ruckus 50, Yamaha Zuma 125, Kymco People GTi300, Honda Big Ruckus PS250
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

glencoeman wrote:It seems that a lot of Honda's have poor rear suspension.
Is it the suspension or are the Americans just too damn fat?

Says the short chubby Canadian.

Dave
Kompact
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Kompact »

I had an 05 Ruckus 50 and the rear suspension was the first thing I changed out. Two Honda scoots, 2 rear shock changes because the stock was inadequate.

Seems like the rear suspension is one way Honda might cut costs on these units. Not a biggie, all manufacturers do it in one way or another.